Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Passport renewed after first leg of itinerary has been flown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport renewed after first leg of itinerary has been flown

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
It might have been more problematic if UK had immigration desks on departure as they do in many parts of the world.
But on the assumption that the reason that CKBA came back to the UK to renew their passport was because it was a UK passport, UK immigration wouldn't care if you entered on an old UK passport and departed on a new UK passport. Most people with a UK passport will be doing that after a renewal.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I get maxi passports (in South Africa) which have 36 instead of 24 pages and travel a moderate (by Ft terms) amount (but virtually all international) and have just received my 3rd passport in 7 years.

Problem for me is lots of full page sticker visas taking up half the passport. I got in about 150 stamps in my last one (+8 or 9 full page visas)
On my last SA passport renewal, I requested 2 MAXI passports, and collected 2 MAXI passports, which are filling up rapidly. Am contemplating requesting 2 more when home in Dec!
Obviously had to pay double, but overall it was so painless and fast!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L

On my last SA passport renewal, I requested 2 MAXI passports, and collected 2 MAXI passports, which are filling up rapidly. Am contemplating requesting 2 more when home in Dec!
Obviously had to pay double, but overall it was so painless and fast!
Less than an hour to apply, ready in 6 days
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But on the assumption that the reason that CKBA came back to the UK to renew their passport was because it was a UK passport, UK immigration wouldn't care if you entered on an old UK passport and departed on a new UK passport. Most people with a UK passport will be doing that after a renewal.
Yeap, it was a UK passport - but I was more concerned about entering the US - particularly since the GC/GE has my old passport #... but not a problem. (but oddly - maybe - when checking my booking information on AY it had my GC rather than my passport information as my ID).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:04 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by pollycat
given that I originally booked both legs on my original passport number?
You don't book a flight "on a passport number".

You don't need to provide any passport details until you check in, which can be as late as 1 hour before the flight departs, and it is conceivable (though obviously not sensible) that someone could even have never had a passport and receive their first passport a few hours just before they head to the airport...

There's no obligation to update your new passport number on your profile either, as when you check in with your new passport, the airline agent will swipe it and this updates it on the system.

If you are a British citizen even if the wrong passport information is entered, you can't be denied entry to the UK.

If you had a HK passport and it was entered on your BA profile, this would be fine too since the HK passport allows visa-free entry to the UK for 6 months, provided you have a ticket departing the UK. Yet it doesn't mean you must use the HK passport to enter the UK, if you also have an EU/EEA passport (including British) on you then it wouldn't make sense to not use it.

Conversely many people provide a UK passport on check-in for flights to HKG, but use their HKID cards to enter Hong Kong, since British citizens get 180 days visa-free in HK this is fine too (and in Europe nobody seems to care about return tickets). This is despite the British passport not being valid in the eyes of the People's Republic of China, if they consider that person one of their citizens. (But you can also be a foreign permanent resident of HK.)

The only countries it kind of matters for at the moment are, as already mentioned, Australia, the US and Canada (and apparently South Africa but I don't know about that). This is because your passport, visa, and/or ETA/eVisitor/ESTA/eTA is checked at the time of check in and the relevant authority will confirm to the airline whether you are OK to board. It may also happen with the EU/Schengen Area when ETIAS is launched, which may happen in 2-3 years. Nonetheless, US citizens have been able to get ESTAs on non-US passports and fly to the US, even when ESTAs shouldn't really be issued to US citizens.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:28 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You don't need desks to do exit processes. That's why they scan your passport at check-in and they pass the info electronically to the relevant immigration authorities. In the UK the Home Office and the CBP in the US.
In some countries they do. Korea for one Japan for another...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Except when flying to the EU I always leave the UK on my Australian passport and fly back on my UK passport. It doesn't cause issues. In the few countries where arrival and departure is properly tied together I will go out of immigration on my Australian passport, but usually fly on one of my UK ones.

I bet I throw off the UK attempt at working out immigration stats, but leaving many times a year but never arriving on one passport and arriving but rarely leaving on two others.

The reason I travel like this is I always get any visa or esta in my Australian passport so I don't confuse which UK one has the visa.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
In some countries they do. Korea for one Japan for another...
Almost every country except the UK, Ireland, Canada, and the US has some kind of formal exit control. The Schengen zone also has formal exit checks.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I get maxi passports (in South Africa) which have 36 instead of 24 pages and travel a moderate (by Ft terms) amount (but virtually all international) and have just received my 3rd passport in 7 years.

Problem for me is lots of full page sticker visas taking up half the passport. I got in about 150 stamps in my last one (+8 or 9 full page visas)
You only get thirty-six visa pages !?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Calchas
Don't even mention Swedish passports...

I get 34 pages of which a 4 are filled with text and cannot be used. So it is 30 actual usable pages and we cannot get extra thick passports (used to be possible to get double thickness), plus they are only valid for 5 years (so in effect 4.5 years because of entry rules to many countries).

I fill mine up after max 2 years without any visas. Periods I have visa intense travel I fill one up in a year if I don't use multiple passports (sometimes the case).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
The whole passport is 48, but I think it's about 36 usable, yes
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by :D!
You don't book a flight "on a passport number".

You don't need to provide any passport details until you check in, which can be as late as 1 hour before the flight departs, and it is conceivable (though obviously not sensible) that someone could even have never had a passport and receive their first passport a few hours just before they head to the airport...

There's no obligation to update your new passport number on your profile either, as when you check in with your new passport, the airline agent will swipe it and this updates it on the system.

Unfortunately this can now cause some issues with BA and the new GDPR rules which I have fallen foul of. Not through any fault of my own I hasten to add.

Twice it it has happened now where my company book my flights through our corporate TA. They used an expired passport number that they had on file when booking the flights. When I received the flight booking, I went to MMB and changed the APIS to the passport I would be using, added my BAEC number and changed the contact details to the same that are saved in my profile.

First occasion when I called BAEC to see if I could get a seat in the WTP section of a 2 Class flight operated on a 777 where WTP was being used for economy. Went through all of the standard security questions then finally asked me the passport number that the flight was booked with. I gave the one that I was travelling on and was denied any further assistance as the details I had given was incorrect and had no idea what old passport details had been submitted by the CTA. Tried to explain to the agent but she was having none of it. Telephone call ended. Fortunately got the WTP seat at check in. (Indian Call Centre)

Second occasion was on my recent return from DME when our flight was cancelled due to a technical fault. During the shambles of the day, I called BA to get my LHR-GLA flight rebooked whilst waiting in the queue to get re-ticketed for the later DME-LHR flight. Went through the security questions until the end when the agent asked for the passport number the flights were booked with. This time, the agent was UK based and with me in near meltdown mode explained the process in which the flights were booked. He took pity on the situation and made the required rebooking - everything sorted. (UK Call Centre)

I highlighted this this issue with my company so hopefully shouldn’t happen again but was very frustrating at the time.

My advice would be to make sure you have access to old passport details if you have to change to a new one part way through a booking and find yourself having to call BA for anything related to that booking.

S
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
So long as your name is the same it won't matter at all
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
The only countries it kind of matters for at the moment are, as already mentioned, Australia, the US and Canada (and apparently South Africa but I don't know about that). This is because your passport, visa, and/or ETA/eVisitor/ESTA/eTA is checked at the time of check in and the relevant authority will confirm to the airline whether you are OK to board. It may also happen with the EU/Schengen Area when ETIAS is launched, which may happen in 2-3 years. Nonetheless, US citizens have been able to get ESTAs on non-US passports and fly to the US, even when ESTAs shouldn't really be issued to US citizens.
South Africa requires an APP (for some reason AI is stuck in my head too, I think its an old entry we used to use for APP but I’m sure somewhere along the line we got an “advanced immigration” response) response and incorrect passport numbers generate a “DO NOT BOARD - APP DENIED”. Other than incorrect passport numbers have it would also generate the same response for people SA want refused travel.

Qatar and Bahrain also use APP, but a PNR isnt required to have the passport number flying to BAH or DOH.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.