Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA Baggage allowance for Y award booked on ba.com (for Emerald/BA Gold+family)?

Old Jul 29, 18, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat Charge (UK), SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Dia, PP,

I've looked at the AA page & this forum but don't have a definitive answer on this.

I'm looking to book a redemption on AA in economy (JFK-MCO) using Avios on BA.com. I'm BA Gold (OWE). Do I receive 3 bags per person (this is a booking for 4 pax including me) on an economy booking?

A standard US domestic booking in Y on AA comes with no checked baggage. There are a few posts on this but inconsistent answers. Oneworld website talks about one additional piece and no mention of additional pax on the booking. Can anyone confirm / point me to a policy on this?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old Jul 29, 18, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
You definitely get the fee waived for 3 bags up to 70lb for yourself as the OWE, that is clearly defined on aa.com and I have used it many time. I do not know if this extends to other passengers on the same booking, maybe someone else can confirm that?
Old Jul 29, 18, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chrisjohnston01 View Post
I've looked at the AA page & this forum but don't have a definitive answer on this.

I'm looking to book a redemption on AA in economy (JFK-MCO) using Avios on BA.com. I'm BA Gold (OWE). Do I receive 3 bags per person (this is a booking for 4 pax including me) on an economy booking?

A standard US domestic booking in Y on AA comes with no checked baggage. There are a few posts on this but inconsistent answers. Oneworld website talks about one additional piece and no mention of additional pax on the booking. Can anyone confirm / point me to a policy on this?

Thanks in advance
Chris
It's pretty clear on aa.com -- if you know where to look:

"1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:
  • Confirmed First Class customers on 3-cabin aircraft
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum
  • oneworld® Emerald
  • Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)
  • Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel"
Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Also:

"The checked bag fees will be waived for all elite members and guests traveling on the same reservation (excluding group reservations) for travel in the Main Cabin on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or marketed by American or American Eagle."

Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp

(Click on "More information about benefits at the airport.")
Old Jul 30, 18, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat Charge (UK), SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Dia, PP,
Excellent - thank you both.

guv1976 - I had been on that page. I was confused by the drop down section entitled :'And when travelling to these destinations'. A bit confusing (thought the following text only applied to those countries) but worked it out now.

Last edited by caj2310; Jul 30, 18 at 12:55 pm
Old Jul 30, 18, 5:13 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PlatinumPro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Yes, I recently visited that AA page and found it confusing, too. I think it is no longer as clear as it once was. But, once you know what it should say, it is clear enough to confirm that.
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
I made that experience in June 2018 and Your answer is here: (not that straight forward , trust me):

I had booked 2 reward flights (PHL-Quebec City on AA) from BA.com. Bear in mind that any AA award ticket booked with Avios on BA.com is a TANGO class ticket meaning that it is without baggage allowance. Seat selection is free on account of Oneworld membership.
We were both BA Silver member then and thought that AA would allow 2 pieces of luggage free but we were wrong. AA considers Tango tickets as equivalent BA Hand baggage Only fare (HBO) with no luggage allowance.

I wrote to AA and below is their reply:Your Response From American Airlines

Travel
  • [email protected]
  • 26 Feb at 12:38 AM
  • Dear Dr LXXX
  • Thanks for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations in regards to your upcoming oneworld® travel.

In instances where there are conflicting baggage allowances between carriers, the baggage allowance of the booking carrier's ticket type supersedes the allowance that may be permitted by the operating carrier of a particular flight on the itinerary.

In your specific case, British Airways is the booking carrier; American Airlines is the operating carrier for at least one of the flights on your itinerary.

The extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers benefit may not be available if you are traveling on a British Airways 'Handbaggage Only/Basic' fare booked through British Airways. Complete information about the extra baggage allowance for oneworld Sapphire frequent flyers can be found here:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance

I hope this information is helpful, Dr. LXXX. We look forward to welcoming you and Mrs. LXXX onboard June 13.
  • Sincerely,
  • Darlene CXXX
    Customer Relations
    American Airlines
    AA Ref#1-26359008491

The solution was: I phoned BA Exec Club and had them insert a line in my booking: "Since pax is BA Silver, he is entitled to ONE piece of luggage".

Guess what?: the AA check in staff in Phl told me that he would not have allowed any free luggage if the above remarks had not appeared on his screen.

So, i suggest that you call BA Exec and ensure that the remark appears in the booking system otherwise you may well have to pay for any luggage at the airport.

Last edited by lall; Jul 31, 18 at 5:14 am
Old Jul 31, 18, 11:11 am

I also have experience dealing with AA staff. I was travelling WTP/CE booking, booked with BA and the 1st leg was with AA. Allowance for 32kg confirmed with BA (both on travel docs and twitter message to BA) Tried to check in luggage and was told bags were overweight... got sent from one counter to another ( with luggage!) but it was still a case of “computer says no” and being told repeatedly that although it was a BA booking we were travelling with AA. It was a very frustrating experience but I stood my ground and eventually the bags were accepted. Arrived back to Glasgow and none of them turned up though😂
I think as long as you know your rights and don’t back down all will be fine!
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lall View Post
I made that experience in June 2018 and Your answer is here: (not that straight forward , trust me):

I had booked 2 reward flights (PHL-Quebec City on AA) from BA.com. Bear in mind that any AA award ticket booked with Avios on BA.com is a TANGO class ticket meaning that it is without baggage allowance. Seat selection is free on account of Oneworld membership.
We were both BA Silver member then and thought that AA would allow 2 pieces of luggage free but we were wrong. AA considers Tango tickets as equivalent BA Hand baggage Only fare (HBO) with no luggage allowance.

I wrote to AA and below is their reply:Your Response From American Airlines

Travel
  • [email protected]
  • 26 Feb at 12:38 AM
  • Dear Dr LXXX
  • Thanks for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations in regards to your upcoming oneworld® travel.

In instances where there are conflicting baggage allowances between carriers, the baggage allowance of the booking carrier's ticket type supersedes the allowance that may be permitted by the operating carrier of a particular flight on the itinerary.

In your specific case, British Airways is the booking carrier; American Airlines is the operating carrier for at least one of the flights on your itinerary.

The extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers benefit may not be available if you are traveling on a British Airways 'Handbaggage Only/Basic' fare booked through British Airways. Complete information about the extra baggage allowance for oneworld Sapphire frequent flyers can be found here:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance

I hope this information is helpful, Dr. LXXX. We look forward to welcoming you and Mrs. LXXX onboard June 13.
  • Sincerely,
  • Darlene CXXX
    Customer Relations
    American Airlines
    AA Ref#1-26359008491

The solution was: I phoned BA Exec Club and had them insert a line in my booking: "Since pax is BA Silver, he is entitled to ONE piece of luggage".

Guess what?: the AA check in staff in Phl told me that he would not have allowed any free luggage if the above remarks had not appeared on his screen.

So, i suggest that you call BA Exec and ensure that the remark appears in the booking system otherwise you may well have to pay for any luggage at the airport.
First of all, "Tango" was a low-fare Air Canada option, which has nothing to do with AA:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Tango

Second of all, BA Avios redemptions are not HBO fares: when flying on BA one checked bag is permitted; when flying on AA, you are booked in Economy Class, not "Basic Economy," which is more restrictive. Although AA domestic Economy fares do not include a free checked bag for the masses, they do not bar one from enjoying the one, two, or even three free checked bags offered to oneworld® elites, depending on one's oneworld® tier.

When flying on AA, oneworld® elites enjoy the free baggage allowances described in the first link in my earlier post. It makes no difference whether you're flying on an Avios redemption on AA, an AAdvantage redemption on AA, or a cash ticket on AA-coded flights. As you can see, each of you was entitled to check two bags -- not one -- as a oneworld® Sapphire traveling on AA:

"1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:
  • AAdvantage® Platinum Pro
  • AAdvantage® Platinum
  • oneworld® Sapphire members
  • Confirmed Business Class customers*
  • Confirmed Premium Economy customers**""

There's a difference between the extra checked-bag allowance that oneworld® requires its member airlines to provide, and the published baggage allowances that AA elects to offer to oneworld® elites. That said, some AA agents (including, apparently, Darlene) -- and sometimes AA's own computer system -- get things wrong. So I suggest carrying with you a hard-copy printout of AA's baggage allowances for your oneworld tier, and/or downloading/bookmarking the particular aa.com webpage on your smartphone so that you always have it available for an AA agent. Don't be shy about escalating the matter to an AA supervisor, if necessary.
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
First of all, "Tango" was a low-fare Air Canada option, which has nothing to do with AA:
I think they mean T class, which is the AA booking class for economy redemptions/award tickets.
Old Jul 31, 18, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
I think they mean T class, which is the AA booking class for economy redemptions/award tickets.
Ah, OK.

As long as one is not booked into what AA calls "Basic Economy" (and T class is definitely not Basic Economy), AA should honor all oneworld® elite benefits.
Old Jul 31, 18, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The website is a good example of why attempts to simplify language often don't work.

Under US law, the baggage allowance (not waivers for status) of the marketing carrier of the first segment of the ticket, apply to the entire ticket. As an avios ticket, this is BA-marketed and thus the BA base allowance applies. That is a net positive because a standard Y ticket on AA would not have a baggage allowance.

As to waivers for status, that is in the province of the operating carrier and, in this case, the AA allowance for OWE would apply.

This should all show on the e-ticket receipt and it is that allowance which the check-in agent will see when you present the bags. If it shows up wrong on your e-ticket receipt, get it corrected now.
Old Jul 31, 18, 2:42 pm

The confusion about whether an Avios redemption on AA is subject to standard baggage allowance rules (whether BA's or AA's) is something that BA is creating. I routinely use Avios for AA domestic bookings and starting sometime over the last few months, I receive multiple warnings both on BA.com during the booking process, and occasionally from phone staff when I have to call to complete the booking (as is common recently due to IT issues), that these are HBO fares. As pointed out above, they are definitely not HBO fares and I have yet to have any issues checking bags using my standard AA allowance based on OW status.

I can't explain lall's experience other than to observe that it was in PHL, which is a unique place when it comes to "customer service."

Now, it is possible that we're headed to a future system where Avios booking do in fact book into Basic Economy - only BA (and perhaps AA) would know for sure and they're not telling people like us. Or to be more accurate, they are telling people like us that these are HBO fares but the information is incorrect.
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Under US law, the baggage allowance (not waivers for status) of the marketing carrier of the first segment of the ticket, apply to the entire ticket. As an avios ticket, this is BA-marketed and thus the BA base allowance applies. That is a net positive because a standard Y ticket on AA would not have a baggage allowance.
A BA Avios redemption for travel on AA would only show flight numbers with an "AA" prefix. While BA would be the "plating" carrier (i.e., ticket would be issued on BA "stock" with a "125" ticket prefix), wouldn't AA be both the marketing and operating carrier in this case?

BA does sell some cash tickets involving travel on AA metal that might have BA (codeshare) flight numbers. But Avios redemptions for travel on AA metal are always booked under an AA flight number.
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Under US law, the baggage allowance (not waivers for status) of the marketing carrier of the first segment of the ticket, apply to the entire ticket. .
No they STILL do not - The 1st marketing carrier gets to decide whether to apply its allowances or to defer to that of the most significant carrier
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Also a word of advice... carry your physical frequent flyer card to demonstrate status. I’ve had ridiculous conversations with AA agents who should know better, but what a screen says and what colour the dot on a card is seems to prompt different action.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: