Surviving Australia in Y

Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:55 am

It's a mindset issue really. Hundreds of thousands of people travel Y to Australia every year and as far as I'm aware they generally all survive the course.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:08 am

I do this route quite regularly in Y. What works for me, (bearing in mind it's a leisure trip, so I'm not too time constrained) is to do it as a series of day flights, with generous stopovers:

- Leave LON first thing in the morning, maybe staying the evening before at a hotel near the airport.
- Fly direct to somewhere interesting in Asia (HKG, SIN, BKK etc) arriving in the morning, and stop over for a few days. This is fun and breaks up the journey nicely. Also with the endless tropical sun, it's easier to reset your body clock to approximately the right timezone. As per other posts, avoid ME stopover.
- After enjoying yourself for a few days, catch a direct flight to Australia. Leave in morning, arrive evening.

On the way back:

Leave Australia in morning, arrive at chosen Asian city in the evening. Check in to the airport hotel, have a nice sleep in a proper bed, and board a day flight back to LON in the morning.

Also if you can, try to pay extra for a bulkhead seat with more legroom. Makes a huge difference, often for not much cost. (I think on MH I paid Ł16 per leg?)

I'm not too precious about which airline I take, mostly I choose based on where I want to stopover. If I go into Y withouf too many expectations, I find I can be happy on most carriers.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:35 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by drsabs
I do this route quite regularly in Y. What works for me, (bearing in mind it's a leisure trip, so I'm not too time constrained) is to do it as a series of day flights, with generous stopovers:

- Leave LON first thing in the morning, maybe staying the evening before at a hotel near the airport.
- Fly direct to somewhere interesting in Asia (HKG, SIN, BKK etc) arriving in the morning, and stop over for a few days. This is fun and breaks up the journey nicely. Also with the endless tropical sun, it's easier to reset your body clock to approximately the right timezone. As per other posts, avoid ME stopover.
- After enjoying yourself for a few days, catch a direct flight to Australia. Leave in morning, arrive evening.

On the way back:

Leave Australia in morning, arrive at chosen Asian city in the evening. Check in to the airport hotel, have a nice sleep in a proper bed, and board a day flight back to LON in the morning.

Also if you can, try to pay extra for a bulkhead seat with more legroom. Makes a huge difference, often for not much cost. (I think on MH I paid Ł16 per leg?)

I'm not too precious about which airline I take, mostly I choose based on where I want to stopover. If I go into Y withouf too many expectations, I find I can be happy on most carriers.
Out of interest, once you've factored in the extra costs accrued through additional hotel stays, days needed for the trip given longer stopovers and so on, at what point does it actually become more cost effective to fly in a higher cabin? As you say I'm sure this would work well for people with no time constraints on a trip that is purely for leisure purposes but it's not for everyone.

My personal experience of long flights in Y is that it leaves me in an impaired state for days afterwards, so it's not a mindset thing and is very much based on experience. As such there is no way I would attempt this journey in economy regardless of the circumstances.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by V10
Out of interest, once you've factored in the extra costs accrued through additional hotel stays, days needed for the trip given longer stopovers and so on, at what point does it actually become more cost effective to fly in a higher cabin? As you say I'm sure this would work well for people with no time constraints on a trip that is purely for leisure purposes but it's not for everyone.
It's absolutely not for everyone. I don't really include the costs of the multi-day stopover in consideration, as I really love Asia and to me that's part of my holiday, and if I wasn't there I'd just be paying hotel and food bills in another (more expensive) country. Others may of course disagree with this approach. Anyway, some numbers from my last trip:

MH Y flights for me and my wife LHR->KUL->SYD return were ~Ł750 each, plus ~Ł50 each for extra legroom, plus ~Ł60 for Heathrow and KUL hotel overnights.

So that works out to about Ł830 each. For a similar flight from LHR in J I think you'd be looking at around Ł2k each? My wife has no interest in ex-EU and is Scottish, so would never approve of blowing an extra Ł2k for better seats on a flight!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by simons1
It's a mindset issue really. Hundreds of thousands of people travel Y to Australia every year and as far as I'm aware they generally all survive the course.
There's surviving and surviving. There's no way (at my age) that I would fly UK - AU (or VV) all the way in Y class.

My strategy is to fly Y class at either end if it can get me a good deal for most of the way in J. For example, next week I'm flying SYD-MAN, returning a week later. I have a FF QF Y ticket SYD-CGK-SYD and a cheap QR J ticket CGK-MXP-CGK and a FF BA Y ticket MXP-MAN-MXP (flying BE).

The whole trip probably costs less than GBP 1500, and I earn 560 TP, which isn't bad ex-AU. The paid QR ticket cost GBP 980. I know that this isn't exactly the routing that the OP is following, and it's certainly not for everyone, but I think the approach is still relevant.

Works for me, as I have quite a few FF points of various flavours, but even if not using points, will usually save quite a few $$$ over a J class fare out of the UK.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by drsabs
My wife has no interest in ex-EU and is Scottish, so would never approve of blowing an extra Ł2k for better seats on a flight!
Is she from Aberdeen?? I have managed to convert my deep-pocketed Aberdonian husband to the delights of ex-EU and avios collecting and 241 vouchers. Now he complains if we are not in J or a lounge or squashed on a SH easyjet flight!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by FEMW
Is she from Aberdeen?? I have managed to convert my deep-pocketed Aberdonian husband to the delights of ex-EU and avios collecting and 241 vouchers. Now he complains if we are not in J or a lounge or squashed on a SH easyjet flight!
Nope, further south. I sat her in a J seat once on a stationary plane, and she said "Oh, I was expecting more. I definitely wouldn't pay much extra for this!"
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
There's surviving and surviving. There's no way (at my age) that I would fly UK - AU (or VV) all the way in Y class.

My strategy is to fly Y class at either end if it can get me a good deal for most of the way in J. For example, next week I'm flying SYD-MAN, returning a week later. I have a FF QF Y ticket SYD-CGK-SYD and a cheap QR J ticket CGK-MXP-CGK and a FF BA Y ticket MXP-MAN-MXP (flying BE).
Each to their own I guess. Not everyone wants to turn a straightforward flight into 4 legs each way with three different tickets and what that entails.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Each to their own I guess. Not everyone wants to turn a straightforward flight into 4 legs each way with three different tickets and what that entails.
I agree, but it's not a problem if you're not in a hurry, and you can have a little break along the way. And the less I spend on one trip helps towards the next.

Last edited by Grace B; Jul 30, 2018 at 5:01 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:59 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Honest answer...

Two long legs in Y? 15mg of Tamezapam and a glass of wine for the first leg and an extra 10mg for the second. All the neck pillows or careful seat selection can’t beat that.

Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by amt
Honest answer...

Two long legs in Y? 15mg of Tamezapam and a glass of wine for the first leg and an extra 10mg for the second. All the neck pillows or careful seat selection can’t beat that.
You might get there with an extra big headache though.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:08 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Grace B
You might get there with an extra big headache though.
Actually that is a good point... make sure you do three bottles of water.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
No tip here but I am sure you will be fine!
I used to do it as a four-sector trip (XXX-SYD/MEL-BKK/SIN/HKG-LHR-XXX straight after work, and back (and going straight to work), all in Y, once a month.

I did not die. In fact the vast majority of people do not have the privilege to travel in W, J or F and survive just fine.
This! ^ So many people in the world won't even set foot on a plane, let alone get the opportunity to fly on a higher class. First World problems!

To the OP, you'll be fine in Y. I've done SYD-LHR via DXB at the back on the A380 and it was fine. If you can afford going on W for a bit of extra comfort, go for it.

Personally, I'd save the money to spend in the bars in Oz.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Each to their own. SWMBO quite likes Y, and has done Y to Australia and to Peru. Me, I was further forward.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Each to their own. SWMBO quite likes Y, and has done Y to Australia and to Peru. Me, I was further forward.

My GF and I are going to JNB in October. She already has a return flight on SAA and I assumed she'd book a cheapo one-stopper on QR/EK etc. to get there. Like any sensible FT'er I was eyeing up ex-AMS in J but she's booked Y on the BA57 so I was resigned to sitting next to her in Y before I remembered the BA55...

Still not sure I'm brave enough to do it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.