Christmas market 2018

Old Jul 27, 18, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Christmas market 2018

Thinking about booking a Christmas market trip - what’s everyone’s favourite and or hints & tips? I had in my mind Zagreb as somewhere or possibly Heidelberg or maybe Rostock (I have a vague FT memory of someone saying that was their favourite German market)...BA flights obviously to somewhere close. Done the obvious ones such as Vienna, Berlin, cologne
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:26 pm

Copenhagen has been my favourite so far. Quite a few different markets across the city, the one on Nyhavn is particularly pretty. I've never paid to get into Tivoli's but it looks nice in photos.
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL+CCR, HH D, QFF, EB
My favourite and not because of the TP was Tallinn. Although only 1 and small it had local products and stall holders were actually keen to talk and not pressure for sales.
florens, DeathSlam and rjhcambs like this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:38 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Tallinn's Christmas market is stunning - it's also a very pretty city that doesn't grind to a halt with snow. Isn't BA flying to Cologne this winter? Another fantastic Christmas market...
Old Jul 28, 18, 1:34 am

Berlin is another great option. A number of different Christmas markets to visit.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
We’ve done Heidelberg, our only Christmas market trip. I wouldn’t say the market stands out but it’s a lovely place and you can add on the Neckar valley, the Black Forest (eg. Baden Baden & Gengenbach) and maybe Frankfurt/Mainz if you fly there so it makes a nice trip as an alternative to a large city with markets.
Mackle likes this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 3:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I've been to about half of the ones in the twenty biggest German cities plus another 20 or so small towns, and they sort of blend in to each other after that.

If you haven't been, it may be worth going to Nuremberg (there was a winter BA flight last year, not sure if it will run again) plus a side trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber which is supposed to be "the Christmas town" but it was a bit disappointing for me.

I found Zurich, Brussels/Ghent (± Amsterdam) and Montreux (combine with L'Escalade weekend in Geneva) to be a bit more interesting

I'd only go to Copenhagen or Tallinn in December if you really enjoy the cold (right now may not be the best time to judge that), the markets in Copenhagen looked interesting but I stopped over on my return from ex-EU QR trip to New Zealand and it was just too cold for me to stay out very long, everything is also double the price it would be at the German markets.
Old Jul 28, 18, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Have you considered Harrogate? Traditional Christmas market - atmospheric with a wide range of Yorkshire regional produce. Nice town to visit for foodies and shoppers. Fly to LBA then 30 mins by bus to town centre.
AlbaGuBrath likes this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 3:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss View Post
Tallinn's Christmas market is stunning - it's also a very pretty city that doesn't grind to a halt with snow. Isn't BA flying to Cologne this winter? Another fantastic Christmas market...
Tallinna jõuluturg, like the locals call it, is beautiful. A good thing to keep in mind is that it is open until early January (7th or so due to the Russian Orthodox Christmas) and is usually less busy after „our“ Christmas.
Old Jul 28, 18, 3:43 am

Consider Trier, fly to LUX which can be good value in CE for TPs, then get an easy coach transfer.
Old Jul 28, 18, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Innsbruck is a lovely city - only 15mins from the airport. Several markets surrounded by the Alps. Some of the nearby smaller towns have markets such as Seefeld, Telfs, Hall.

Salzburg - beautiful city and great market. Again airport only 20 mins from centre.
Old Jul 28, 18, 4:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Some ideas from last year :-

Magical Christmas Markets 2017....a bargain!!
Old Jul 28, 18, 7:32 am

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
Don’t do it, went Brussels last year and got an extra three nights due to weather, cancellations etc. Hall of shame winner ‘17

Yorkshire gets my vote
Old Jul 28, 18, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M, HHonors Gold
I think Dresden is a fantastic destination for Christmas markets. Lots of very different styles from medieval to modern in stunning settings. Sadly no more OW destination since the "disappearance" of Air Berlin. But Prague is only 1.5hrs with regular coach service.
Old Jul 28, 18, 7:38 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
There is a new Winter LGW - CGN service with BA which will serve the Christmas markets of Cologne well.

Search this Thread