LHR T5 lounge advice for first timers

Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

LHR T5 lounge advice for first timers

Hi all and sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times by now.

I am flying with dad and sister on BA11 to SIN on Monday 30th via in LHR. Neither one of my fellow travellers have had the chance yet to fly on anything other than Economy, let alone enjoy a champagne or two in a Business Lounge before departure. I would like to use my Alaska status as MVP Gold to use one of the T5 Galleries lounges in LHR.

I appreciate your comments on both the North and South lounges, since who knows when will we travel via LHR again and how long will I retain status on AS. We are interested in nice seating, something to eat, maybe a shower and probably nice apron views. I have enjoyed the full Business experience before in the likes of EK, CX and so on, but I want this experience to be as special as possible for them. I am aware that I should keep expectations low but when compared to sitting at the gate for hours, anything can be amazing for a first timer.

On another note, AS allows me to guest only one person with me. I would very gladly yield my entry rights to them both but don't think that will work. I guess paying for the 3rd person is not an option either. I am also a bad beggar. Any chance there is a FTer coincidentially there that would like to guest one of us? That would be forever appreciated. What would you recommend for us?

Thanks all for replies beforehand!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

There are also couple of pay for lounges in T5;details here

https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...rvices/lounges

Regards

TBS

PS-Apologies- I had initially posted incorrect information and thanks to Jerry a.laska I have removed it.

There are 3 galleries lounges one at T5 A north, one at T5 A south and one at T 5 B

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 26, 2018 at 1:49 pm Reason: Edited post to remove incorrect information
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Actually, the AS-BA agreement does provide access to the BA T5/T3 lounges for AS MVP GOLD and 75K.
From alaskairlines.com:
Available to MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members, plus one guest.

Complimentary access to the select British Airways Galleries Lounge "This indicates a link to an external site that may not meet accessibility guidelines." locations listed below when holding a current day ticket/boarding pass with at least one British Airways operated international flight segment. Physical or mobile app digital elite tier card required.
  • Galleries Lounge in Heathrow International Airport (LHR) Terminal 3
  • Galleries Lounge in Heathrow International Airport (LHR) Terminal 5
See also:
British Airways Lounge Access for AS Elites- LHR Galleries T5 & T3

No requirement for any specific class of service just that the flight be international.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I did not know that and there is no reference on the lounge boards in the airport to Alaska. Many thanks

( I'm not sure if it is in the dashboard?)

Regards
TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 26, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Unless you are flying domestic (most of which go from gates near North) head for South which is usually a bit less busy as well and then if your flight is going from B or C head over to the B lounge which is nicer and less busy. Not sure if the B lounge will care which of them you guested into South so you might be able to give them both some lounge action that way...

(Edit: saw you are flying to SIN which is very likely to go from B or C so keep an eye on the boards and move as soon as it shows a gate)

There is a lounge meetup thread on here somewhere where you might be able to find another FTer with guesting privileges who you can meet up with...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
which cabin are you flying in?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Unless you are flying domestic (most of which go from gates near North) head for South which is usually a bit less busy as well and then if your flight is going from B or C head over to the B lounge which is nicer and less busy. Not sure if the B lounge will care which of them you guested into South so you might be able to give them both some lounge action that way...
That is an interesting idea, if someone else could confirm that would be an amazing compromise. Thanks also for your advise, I had missed the B lounge
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ptr120
which cabin are you flying in?
We are flying Economy, therefore the AS status is the only thing getting us into the lounges
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I am with the majority of other comments here, Galleries South is a lot better than Galleries North. North is busy and I can rarely find a power plug there, if those things are important to you!

Personally I quite like Galleries South and remember to ask for the champagne, normally the lounge attendant will bring you two glasses!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:18 pm

Whichever Galleries Club lounge you use, remember that you have to ask the staff for champagne. It's not available at the bar areas, you have to ask a server specifically for it. This is a relatively unknown benefit.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was in the Galleries South lounge a few weeks ago. It is less crowded than G North. There was a section "champagne bar" (very much isolated from the rest of the lounge), they had self service Champagne.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Of the two lounges in the main terminal I would go for the South, bigger and less busy.
Somehow I think people just don't want to trek all the way across the terminal from one end to the other and up the escalators. North lounge is the first you'll come across, so after a trek from the CW checkin to the North Lounge is already one length of the terminal. To get to the south lounge is a trek back down the terminal. Good to get some exercise!

That said as you're flying LHR-SIN on a 380 it'll be B or C gate, therefore I would go straight to the lounge in B gate. Much, much quieter.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
I was in the Galleries South lounge a few weeks ago. It is less crowded than G North. There was a section "champagne bar" (very much isolated from the rest of the lounge), they had self service Champagne.
Sounds like you were in Galleries First, rather than Galleries Club.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I think we will go for the South Lounge and then move to the B lounge and try to guest one of my companions in each one. I don't see any restrictions regarding using several lounges with my AS status so I guess that should work. We won't enjoy the lounge experience together but that is better than nothing. I will try to figure out whether someone is in the mood of guesting one of us but I don't quite like asking for favors to people I don't know
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WY114
Thank you all for your help. I think we will go for the South Lounge and then move to the B lounge and try to guest one of my companions in each one.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think this will work. The lounge agents scan your guest's BP as you enter and I'm pretty sure the particular guest is logged, so that if you try and guest someone else in at another lounge within T5, it'll be a no.

I agree with Wong Jnr that I would just go straight to the B lounge, I prefer it to the T5A lounges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.