Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in a bag on domestic HBO fare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This "flight only" fare tends to show up on comparative search engines, and so if you Google something like "flights London to Rome" these comparison sites such as Skyscanner and Kayak have paid to be top of the listing.
Makes sense, but would probably be even more effective to do a AA style "Group 9" - You board last and your hand baggage is required to go under the seat. That allows for even lower prices.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Makes sense, but would probably be even more effective to do a AA style "Group 9" - You board last and your hand baggage is required to go under the seat. That allows for even lower prices.
Group 5 is allocated to Basic passengers (and a few others such as group travellers), and so in theory when they board, they may well not find space in the overheads and will end up using the under seat storage. Now Group Boarding isn't always applied effectively, Group 4 and Group 5 often get called together; and of course all those lovely Silvers and Golds get higher Groups anyway.....
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Group 5 is allocated to Basic passengers (and a few others such as group travellers), and so in theory when they board, they may well not find space in the overheads and will end up using the under seat storage. Now Group Boarding isn't always applied effectively, Group 4 and Group 5 often get called together; and of course all those lovely Silvers and Golds get higher Groups anyway.....
I had the pleasure of watching a full domestic AA flight board last weekend. Was quite impressive. No queues, no lines. There was a big screen above the gate that showed the group that was currently boarding and strictly enforced.

Gate checking was encouraged, with specific targets "we need to gate check 7 bags on this flight" - the odd number see ems to indicate they have an algorithm running in the background on how full the bins would be. Group 9 excluded from gate checking.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:32 am

Hello all
Looking to book HBO fare around Christmas. I'm currently Blue but will be Silver by the time I take that flight. Got bit confused about Silver benefits. BA page says
  • free seat selection on British Airways flights from the time of booking for everyone on your booking* (excluding exit row seats on long haul flights)
  • a checked baggage allowance of two pieces in economy for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)*
  • a weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking*
That contradicts FT dashboard:
  • Allocate seats for yourself and other members in your party free of charge, at the time of booking (excluding exit row seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus and all seats booked as Hand Baggage Only fares).
  • Check in 2 bags each weighing up to 32kg in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater. This applies to all passengers travelling on the same booking.
Can anyone confirm would I be able to choose seats for free and check in one bag up to 32 kg?
Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyslow
Hello all
Looking to book HBO fare around Christmas. I'm currently Blue but will be Silver by the time I take that flight. Got bit confused about Silver benefits. BA page says
  • free seat selection on British Airways flights from the time of booking for everyone on your booking* (excluding exit row seats on long haul flights)
  • a checked baggage allowance of two pieces in economy for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)*
  • a weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking*
  • Allocate seats for yourself and other members in your party free of charge, at the time of booking (excluding exit row seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus and all seats booked as Hand Baggage Only fares).
  • Check in 2 bags each weighing up to 32kg in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater. This applies to all passengers travelling on the same booking.
Can anyone confirm would I be able to choose seats for free and check in one bag up to 32 kg?
Thank you in advance!
you will be able to select a seat as a silver for free. you will not have any free checked bag allowance on a basic/HBO fare.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyslow
Hello all
Thank you in advance!
Unless you book a fare with a checked luggage allowance you can't check a bag of 32KG for free. Status does not grant a checked allowance. You would be able to check-in a bag up to 23KG 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in - this is BA's hand luggage allowance. You would be permitted a laptop/small bag (40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in) in addition. As mentioned up thread, at London Airports checking-on your hand luggage won't be a problem. at outstations it might/is likely to be.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just to confirm, the BA Silver line had no idea about the rule that people on HBO fares can check-in their hand baggage for free on European and Domestic flights, as long as the luggage doesn't exceed hand baggage size and the customer doesn't take any other baggage on-board with them. However, they did make a phone-call to Heathrow for me, and they subsequently confirmed this is in fact standard practice at Heathrow (regardless of how busy the flight is).

My question now is, is this the policy just for Heathrow/London - or could I try this coming back to Heathrow from another European destination? I know I will be able to do this flying to Warsaw at the end of this month, but will Warsaw check in my hand luggage for free on the same terms on my return flight? Look forward to hearing about any first-hand experiences..
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by sb1982
Just to confirm, the BA Silver line had no idea about the rule that people on HBO fares can check-in their hand baggage for free on European and Domestic flights, as long as the luggage doesn't exceed hand baggage size and the customer doesn't take any other baggage on-board with them. However, they did make a phone-call to Heathrow for me, and they subsequently confirmed this is in fact standard practice at Heathrow (regardless of how busy the flight is).

My question now is, is this the policy just for Heathrow/London - or could I try this coming back to Heathrow from another European destination? I know I will be able to do this flying to Warsaw at the end of this month, but will Warsaw check in my hand luggage for free on the same terms on my return flight? Look forward to hearing about any first-hand experiences..
Officially the policy is that, at outstations, hand luggage will only be checked if the flight is over a certain percent full (80% I think but I could be wrong). London City don't do it under any circumstances, they'll only gate check it. I think it's fair to say it's a soft benefit, not 100% official. It's always worth asking though, I tend to check my case and just take my small backpack onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.