Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces return to PIT, starting April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces return to PIT, starting April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And the BA media centre release is, with inevitable puns left in place.....

BRITISH AIRWAYS STEELS WITH DEAL WITH NEW ROUTE TO PITTSBURGH
July 25, 2018
British Airways will shortly become the only airline to offer a direct flight from the UK to Pittsburgh. From April 2, 2019, the airline will launch a year round four-per-week service to the Pennsylvanian city from Heathrow.

The new route will take the number of US destinations the airline flies to from London up to 26, and the number of daily flights offered by British Airways and American Airlines as part of their transatlantic joint business up to 67 per day. The route will be operated by one of British Airways’ newest aircraft, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, with special return fares from £600 in World Traveller and £1068 in World Traveller Plus available to book now on ba.com.

Sean Doyle, British Airways’ Director of Network and Alliances, said: “We are extremely pleased to be adding Pittsburgh to our global network of over 250 destinations. With the roll-out of WiFi on our longhaul flights and the ongoing investment we’re making in the customer experience on the ground and in the air, we’re proud to be flying the flag for high quality transatlantic travel.” The new flights will run on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday with the BA0171 departing from London Heathrow at 5.00pm and landing into Pittsburgh at 8.15pm, while the BA0170 will leave Pittsburgh at 9.50pm, arriving into London at 10.25am the following day.

As well as the thriving arts, culture and food scene, a vast range of outdoor activities are also easily accessible, afforded by the great rivers, green valleys and majestic mountains. Pittsburgh has also been labelled ‘Robot City’ as Google and Uber have campuses in the region and numerous other tech start-ups have established headquarters in the river valley town.

British Airways will launch 16 new routes across the globe this year including direct flights to Nashville that started in March. These new routes come as the airline rolls out a £4.5 billion, five-year customer investment plan, with a focus on excellence in the premium cabins and more choice and quality for all its customers.

For more information on Pittsburgh visit www.visitpittsburgh.com.

Notes to editors:

About Pittsburgh:
Harper’s Bazaar named Pittsburgh one of the “Best Places to Travel in 2017”.

Visitors can also explore the Carnegie Museums of Art, Natural History and Science, meander around the Botanical Gardens or soak up the lively strip district. Pittsburgh has also been labelled the ‘Best Sports City in the US’, and is home to three professional teams, the Steelers (American football), the Penguins (ice hockey), and the Pirates (baseball). The Steelers became the first team in NFL history to win six Super Bowl titles.

Pittsburgh is the ‘City of Bridges’, with more than any other city in the world at nearly 450.

The area is also home to 90 universities, colleges and career training schools and has one of the fastest growing millennial markets in America.

About flights to Pittsburgh:

British Airways flew daily between Heathrow and Pittsburgh via Washington from May 13, 1986, until June 1993 when it moved its service to Gatwick. The airline operated this route with a daily service until 31 October 1999.

Follow the journey on social media at #BAlovesPittsburgh

Customers currently wanting to fly from London to Pittsburgh must connect via Philadelphia, New York JFK or Chicago.
Timetable:
BA0171
Heathrow Terminal 5 to Pittsburgh
Tues, Weds, Fri, Sun

BA0170
Pittsburgh to Heathrow Terminal 5
Tues, Weds, Fri, Sun
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Great news!

Regarding the media centre release kindly quoted by cws: Is it me or is it not getting tiring to hear about their "great investments" all over again? We're still waiting for CE improvements...
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I was hoping for CMH... wonder if they’ll ever do that?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
So when's the breaking announcement about returning to BEG?
ajamieson and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by salut0
Nashville happened after a hefty revenue guarantee was put in place by the relevant agencies in that part of the world. I would wager a tidy sum that Pittsburgh did the same. If your movers and shakers in Columbus, Ohio were to do likewise, I've no doubt that a 787 would be swiftly found from somewhere. This is one of the few legacy destinations left to returned to the network. Another one still without a service, which paid its way via freight, is St Louis, a BCal route. Portland, Oregon has long been on my list, but I suspect it needs deeper pockets by someone over there. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I note from Expertflyer that 3A on the inaugural flight has already been taken. I wonder who that might be? Having been on the inaugural Nashville flight I would have been tempted but cannot make the dates.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Luanda, Angola.

But the 787-9 that operated the frequency moved over to IAD with the same twice weekly departure slot from LHR. The aircraft will overnight in IAD.
That's just until the Winter schedule kicks in I believe. A quickly put together extra rotation for Sep & Oct. From then on there will be an additional rotation but the aircraft will not overnight.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:47 pm

For those interested in making a trip to Pittsburgh, here are a few great things to see and do:

Culture and Museums
-While it's not quite a Big 5 Orchestra, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra puts on a fantastic show, and is led by Manfred Honeck (somewhat regarded as who the New York Philharmonic should have hired). For ~$20 it's a great experience.
-The Carnegie Museum of Art has an excellent collection of world class art, including pieces by Monet and Van Gogh. The Hall of Architecture is worth the admission itself, and the museum has always had a focus on modern art.
-Pittsburgh is also home to the Andy Warhol Museum, devoted to the life and works of perhaps America's greatest pop artist. It is the largest museum in North America dedicated to a single artist.

Architecture
-
Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece Fallingwater is an easy drive, and absolutely worth the visit.
-As far as walking around and seeing majestic mansions and architecture, I loved strolling through the Shadyside neighborhood to see the old estates on 5th Avenue as well as the Victorian architecture that dominates the neighborhood.

Sports
-PNC Park, home of Major League Baeball's Pittsburgh Pirates, is consistently rated as the most beautiful stadium in major league baseball. Which is a good thing because the on field product can be.....highly variable.
-The Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL have won 2 of the last 3 Stanley Cups and are a joy to watch; PPG Paints Arena is a great facility as well.
-The five time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers are also pretty good as well.
-If you have the connections and can get in to play, Oakmont Country Club is arguably the greatest golf course in North America, and has hosted the US Open on a consistent basis.

Last edited by GSP flyer; Jul 25, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Direct flight? Hmmm. However, researching PIT just in case it's a real bargain.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Yet more US destinations - any sign of PDX in the works does anybody know or does the DL seasonal make that a non starter now?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:10 pm

Certainly good to see the new route BA has done well to exploit the mideast of the States with the 787. Whilst I appreciate that a lot of routes are underpinned by local funding, I wonder if ba has missed a trick A cursory glance at the map shows that CLE sits equidistant between PIT and CMH. Would CLE have proved a bigger draw in terms of population draw, notwithstanding that PIT may have a good freight yield and passengers to support the route.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Oh, joy, another American city!

I get it, I've seen the figures, I know the ROIC of flying to the US vs, say, Latin America or Indochina. I also appreciate that I live in a country where the genes of Gertrude Bell, Wilfred Thesiger or Colin Thubron has slipped out of the collective pool. I understand, for 99.9% of my colleagues questioned my sanity for having gone to Iran (on the same weekend when that nutjob in Vegas mowed down 50+ people, a place where they all flock to), that America holds a charm, for the Brits, that no other place can rival (I generalise, but you get the idea). And I also get that it's hard to get foreigners in when you've got restrictive visa rules and while, with one single Schengen stamp, you can roam freely from Madrid to Berlin.

But what I don't get is why these places. I've had the pleasure of seeing Austin, Oakland, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte, which I admit isn't on our network but I suppose it's just a question of time. In all these cases I went on standby for family reasons, or bound by a work obligation. All these places I found at best pleasant, at worst absolutely irrelevant, and all of them felt interchangeable. Austin's much-vaunted night life is a strip of bars. Hey, Clapham also has a street with bars, there's music as well and I don't have to read reminders to leave guns outside, or get through a metal detector. The only thing that saved me from alcoholism in Houston was NASA, and Dallas didn't even have that. And don't think I'm choosy, I found plenty to amuse myself with in Karaganda, Kazakhstan, even though I knew nothing of the place and I was alone there.

Pittsburgh has been defined, in the internal press release, as the "birthplace of Andy Warhol" and where "Heinz is from". If this is enough ground to open a route, Bukhara is the birthplace of Avicenna and is where the best kind of Plov and sugary almonds can be found in Uzbekistan. Get a 788 in there.

What is next? I hear Tallahassee is great for shooting turkeys, and how about Detroit? Bourdain did a show in season 2 of Parts Unknown, I think it's enough of a reason to start? Oklahoma City is also interesting.

In the meantime we don't fly to Jakarta, Saigon, Bogotà or Osaka and the whole Chinese strategy is a shamble, forget "open for business". But, hey, we can go to see the Steelers!

All the above ranting is my own and not - rather obviously - BA's opinion.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And the BA media centre release is, with inevitable puns left in place.....

BRITISH AIRWAYS STEELS WITH DEAL WITH NEW ROUTE TO PITTSBURGH
July 25, 2018
I believe this route is receiving subsidies of $1.5m for a 5 year period. This route will need every penny to survive. Too many small to mid size cities in the US are attracting T/A service with these deals. Most of the service will end badly once the subsidies run out.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by 13900
But what I don't get is why these places.
My sense with this particular place, is that it's not really targeted at ex-UK tourism. Every little helps of course - hence the PR - but I expect it'll be more focused (at least compared to other BA routes) on the ex-PIT market and the fares they are willing to pay for the nonstop service to London and BA's connectivity. I don't know what the VFR market is like but for sure I've not heard of many Brits relocating to PIT.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
Me too!! Maybe one day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.