Fees to upgrade J to F

Old Jul 24, 18, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Fees to upgrade J to F

I have got CW seats LHR-ORD early next year using an AMEX 2-4-1 and have seen that there are now seats available in F on that day and the day before which were not available when I booked. We have never flown in F and the prospect is tempting. I know the amount of Avios required to upgrade but can anyone advise the approximate cost of the extra tax and fees? thanks
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
the extra taxes/charges/fees going from J to F will be minimal if any. They are recalculated when you do the change and there may be a small amount to pay due to currency movements compared to when you originally booked, but if there is anything it is typically no more than a few pounds.

additionally you will have a £35 per person change fee to pay.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
As an indicator, I recently upgraded LHR->DXB from J to F on the day of the flight. Cost me £391 in the lounge to upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tredders View Post
As an indicator, I recently upgraded LHR->DXB from J to F on the day of the flight. Cost me £391 in the lounge to upgrade.
I think that is a cash airport upgrade though. the OP has a reward booking and is looking to change it from J to F as F reward seats have opened up.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I think that is a cash airport upgrade though. the OP has a reward booking and is looking to change it from J to F as F reward seats have opened up.
Indeed. Thatíll teach me to reply without properly reading the OP 😀
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Definitas View Post
I have got CW seats LHR-ORD early next year using an AMEX 2-4-1 and have seen that there are now seats available in F on that day and the day before which were not available when I booked. We have never flown in F and the prospect is tempting. I know the amount of Avios required to upgrade but can anyone advise the approximate cost of the extra tax and fees? thanks
Youíre going to get F Wing, Concorde Room and F service for £70 plus a small amount of Avios, no brainer for me - hope youíve not left it too late to upgrade - youíll have a ball, first time in First is excellent
mikeyfly and gustavmahler like this.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tredders View Post
Indeed. Thatíll teach me to reply without properly reading the OP 😀
Haha, no problem. we all do it sometimes
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

F is Booked

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
the extra taxes/charges/fees going from J to F will be minimal if any. They are recalculated when you do the change and there may be a small amount to pay due to currency movements compared to when you originally booked, but if there is anything it is typically no more than a few pounds.

additionally you will have a £35 per person change fee to pay.
Thanks KARFA. As a result of your advice I phoned and upgraded. It did take a 40 minute call and, in the end they couldnít take the Avios or re-issue the ticket and so had to pass it on for manual intervention. The flight in question is often an A380 but itís listed as a 744. Seats are fairly open so I'll have to read up on which to choose. I think Mrs Definitas would probably prefer side by side
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:22 pm

Last time I did it the difference was less than a dollar so they just wrote it off.
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:29 pm

Thanks KARFA. As a result of your advice I phoned and upgraded. It did take a 40 minute call and, in the end they couldnít take the Avios or re-issue the ticket and so had to pass it on for manual intervention. The flight in question is often an A380 but itís listed as a 744. Seats are fairly open so I'll have to read up on which to choose. I think Mrs Definitas would probably prefer side by side

You made the right decision! Not many extra avois and you get the CCR, better food, wine, seat etc....well done !
mikeyfly, MrBambi and Tredders like this.
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
I think Mrs Definitas would probably prefer side by side
Unlike J, most F is 1-2-1 across the cabin, so seats together have no window.
Don't rule out getting window seats across the cabin or in front and behind each other. Usually F products have enough space for you to dine or chat together in one pod when you want to (companion seating). Being able to look out the window is pretty cool unless you just want to maximise on sleep.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Jul 24, 18 at 4:41 pm Reason: Added cabin config
Old Jul 25, 18, 3:54 am
Original Poster

window or Side by Side

Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
Unlike J, most F is 1-2-1 across the cabin, so seats together have no window.
Don't rule out getting window seats across the cabin or in front and behind each other. Usually F products have enough space for you to dine or chat together in one pod when you want to (companion seating). Being able to look out the window is pretty cool unless you just want to maximise on sleep.
Thanks to everyone for your comments. In the end I went for window seats. Some were already booked so chose 2K and 3K
I'll probably ask for some pointers nearer the time
Old Jul 25, 18, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze

Thanks to everyone for your comments. In the end I went for window seats. Some were already booked so chose 2K and 3K
I'll probably ask for some pointers nearer the time
As you're in a 747 also consider 2A and 2K, that way you both still have a window, but you can see each other as there are no seats in between. I think as a couple row 2 works very well, even if you are too far apart to converse.
Old Jul 25, 18, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Seating Preference

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
As you're in a 747 also consider 2A and 2K, that way you both still have a window, but you can see each other as there are no seats in between. I think as a couple row 2 works very well, even if you are too far apart to converse.
that would have been my preference but unfortunately 2A is already booked
Old Jul 25, 18, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

that would have been my preference but unfortunately 2A is already booked
In that case 2K and 3K would have been my choice too - and on the side of the aircraft away from the sun's glare. Have a great flight!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: