Wiki Posts
Search

Punctuality of BA15 LHR-SIN-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Punctuality of BA15 LHR-SIN-SYD

I’m travelling BA15 LHR-SIN-SYD next week and was surprised to note from the flight radar website that this service has been consistently taking off an hour late over the last week.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba15

Is this T5 wilting under the weather conditions/peak holiday season? Or is there something in the Afghan airspace theory floated above?

Either way it looks as if any stopover in SIN is likely to prove pretty minimal!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The stopover won't shrink timewise, it's a longhaul aircraft that needs to be turned around, cleaned, catered and passengers on and off.

The flight SIN-SYD is often shorter than scheduled, and due to the SYD curfew often arrives bang on time slowing down / circling / even leaving SIN late. I still think you'll have time at SIN to shop / shower / eat whatever you normally would
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT
I can believe the comment about the airspace restriction. I've been held at the gate in DXB (QF onward to Melbourne) and at BKK (BA to LHR) with the explanation we had a restriction to transit Oman and Afghan airspace respectively at a certain time. Especially with the ME3, there's a large number of aircraft competing to transit quite limited airspace at the optimum flight levels all at the same time, hence the restrictions.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Flew the first leg last week. CC announced that onward passengers had 40 minutes before they had to be back at the gate, and the gate was some way from the main concourse with the BA/Qantas lounges. Not a lot to be done about it though.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The flight SIN-SYD is often shorter than scheduled, and due to the SYD curfew often arrives bang on time slowing down / circling / even leaving SIN late.
I can certainly confirm this, having been on many BA 15 waiting at SIN because it would have got to SYD too early otherwise.

I think the longest wait I had so far was for nearly an hour before leaving SIN because of an amazing upper wind blowing us towards SYD.

Sensible, really. No point in burning fuel to circle around waiting for SYD to open.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Thanks for the informative replies.

This will be our third BA15 trip. Recent reviews suggest the Concorde Bar in SIN may now offer more than the handful of rather sad looking satay that we encountered there in early 2016 but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Does anyone have recent experience of how BA are dealing with the hour’s delay at LHR? If boarding is delayed then I guess we can stay in the CCR. Failing that I suppose it will be LPGS on board at least until the doors close. First world problems!

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I can believe the comment about the airspace restriction. I've been held at the gate in DXB (QF onward to Melbourne) and at BKK (BA to LHR) with the explanation we had a restriction to transit Oman and Afghan airspace respectively at a certain time. Especially with the ME3, there's a large number of aircraft competing to transit quite limited airspace at the optimum flight levels all at the same time, hence the restrictions.
Donno about Afghanistan but Oman definitely has restrictions which affect even EK heavily
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:10 am

I think the only basis of judgement can really be the arrival time. Looking over the last week or so it looks as if it has arrived early more than later.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by simons1
I think the only basis of judgement can really be the arrival time. Looking over the last week or so it looks as if it has arrived early more than later.
Agreed. Departure times are often delayed on long haul routes where a shorter than scheduled flight is expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.