Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Idiotic Customer Service Protocols

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I wont deny for a second that "we need to talk to the 9yo travelling with you" is, to be frank, moronic as no boxes would be checked as said child at that age could easily be coerced to answering the way they were told to by a trafficker & wouldn't protect any airline from prosecution for exactly that reason.
Exactly, this is the key point.

But my guess is that this request wasn't actually to do with child trafficking rules anyway. Rather I would imagine (but may be wrong on this as don't know the details of the conversation) that it was a data protection process mistake, where the agent thought they had to speak to the passenger just as they might for an adult where someone else was calling on their behalf who they couldn't identify. The agent just didn't realise that asking to speak to a 9 year old was stupid, so didn't seek an appropriate solution.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
@Ldnn1 - tried to like but can't ( seems to happen from time to time on FT, for myself at least, but im a newbie so maybe that's why?)

It was f-word stupid but I think the underlying cause was maybe a mix between an overzealous CS agent and their understanding on part of their training regarding the matter. While it clearly doesn't apply to you( whilst new to FT im reasonably confident PT's don't post complaints to the forum lol) there is a duty of care / legal issue at play here and in modern society / the scope of the problem they were possibly being a little over zealous( to an understandable point) and requesting things that were both unnecessary and in the larger scheme of things wouldn't have achieved any form of protection for BA anyway.

I'm certainly not going to say this wasn't a bit stupid and you're right to highlight nonsensical thinking on behalf of the agent you spoke to but there is the flip side of knowing that BA take such things seriously, imho as they should, and that in another less desirable situation they do their best to make sure that they are not a party to such activities.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

No it isn’t. The OP was the booker, and the booker controls the booking. [ETA: It seems OP booked through AA which may be what caused the confusion here if BA didn’t recognise OP as the booker.]

In any case it would not be for the child to confirm to BA over the phone any authority to act on their behalf. If that’s in the CC manual (which I doubt) then it should change.
The BA agent wouldnt see the credit card holder details if booked through a travel agent or other airline therefore would only be able to speak to the passenger.
TWCLAM likes this.

Last edited by Anonba; Jul 23, 2018 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:01 pm

Exactly, this is the key point.

But my guess is that this request wasn't actually to do with child trafficking rules anyway. Rather I would imagine (but may be wrong on this as don't know the details of the conversation) that it was a data protection process mistake, where the agent thought they had to speak to the passenger just as they might for an adult where someone else was calling on their behalf who they couldn't identify. The agent just didn't realise that asking to speak to a 9 year old was stupid, so didn't seek an appropriate solution.
Its a difficult scenario though where a BA agent can only initially speak to a named person in a booking and the cardholder details dont show because its booked through another carrier.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
Its a difficult scenario though where a BA agent can only initially speak to a named person in a booking and the cardholder details dont show because its booked through another carrier.
Indeed, that was the crucial detail here to understanding what happened. Is there anything in your manual which covers this situation with a child?
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
I thought CAA guidelines require that the 9 year old should be sat with you. Not sure it was necessary for you to pay.
I'm aware of this, but the problem is I don't like many seats in CW, and prefer one with storage which limits us to the upper deck, the other 3 of us could choose seats as OW Emeralds, j diwnt want to be moved to two random seats together on the plane.

I did book with AA and it turns out there had been an issue with the PayPal payment for the seat selection on BA.com and that's what they were contacting me about. AA agent was able to keep her seat assignment free of charge as she us traveling with 3 Emeralds.

I would think somewhere there would have to be a note that does transfer between airlines letting them know who the child is travelling with, otherwise I would have had to book them as an unaccompanied minor and my main concern after the cryptic email is that this was the issue.

i understand all the issues about human trafficking and custody issues. Like I mentioned we have the proper documentation as the minor is not allowed to leave the country of origin in Latin America without the consent of both parents. But I think something as banal as a seat assignment issue should be such am ordeal. Also, if I did have the 9yo here with me and put her on the phone I would have had a hard time getting her to answer any questions, all my nieces and nephews are very shy at that age and not sure what questions she would have had to answer? Address? Email? Passport number? Date of birth?
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by richardwft

A 9yo is perfectly capable to answer simple questions about a trip.
That rather depends on what’s being asked. We nearly got arrested at CBP in Seattle not so long ago because the agent addressed all of her questions to our (then) 7 year old. He was certainly not capable of answering the questions about the trip and was quite happy to tell her whatever he thought she wanted to hear. Utterly ridiculous. Asking to speak to a minor is nonsense.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996
I'm aware of this, but the problem is I don't like many seats in CW, and prefer one with storage which limits us to the upper deck, the other 3 of us could choose seats as OW Emeralds, j diwnt want to be moved to two random seats together on the plane.

I did book with AA and it turns out there had been an issue with the PayPal payment for the seat selection on BA.com and that's what they were contacting me about. AA agent was able to keep her seat assignment free of charge as she us traveling with 3 Emeralds.

I would think somewhere there would have to be a note that does transfer between airlines letting them know who the child is travelling with, otherwise I would have had to book them as an unaccompanied minor and my main concern after the cryptic email is that this was the issue.

i understand all the issues about human trafficking and custody issues. Like I mentioned we have the proper documentation as the minor is not allowed to leave the country of origin in Latin America without the consent of both parents. But I think something as banal as a seat assignment issue should be such am ordeal. Also, if I did have the 9yo here with me and put her on the phone I would have had a hard time getting her to answer any questions, all my nieces and nephews are very shy at that age and not sure what questions she would have had to answer? Address? Email? Passport number? Date of birth?
Unfortunately as AA work on a different reservation system we dont see notes they add to a booking.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:35 am

Indeed, that was the crucial detail here to understanding what happened. Is there anything in your manual which covers this situation with a child?
There isnt anything that covers this. The guidelines tell us that we speak to passenger or cardholder and then security questions to ask.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:15 am

I think maybe the agent just got confused. I understand various alarm bells going off when a child is involved, but having some kind of across-the-board policy to follow would be useful.

For example, South Africa has very strict documentation rules with regard to under-18s (even if both parents or guardians are present), and our experience is that BA's actions on the ground seem to vary quite a bit depending on the manager in charge of the local outstation. I wrote before on here about a dismal experience at SFO, where the BA check-in staff said that they were obliged to photocopy our son's birth certificate ("BA policy"). After I made a complaint, it turns out it's no such thing, it was just an over-zealous manager's personal policy at the SFO outstation. We've never been asked for a copy to be made before or since.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:22 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
The next set of Irony of course being the fact that we drill "stranger danger" and "online safety" into our babies heads ( and nephews/ nieces etc etc) because we have to because of the unfortunate world we live in and any child of that age would, I imagine, have an internal conflict going on in their heads shy or not as a person where they were asking themselves "I'm not supposed to ever give any of this information out to someone I dont know"
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I think maybe the agent just got confused. I understand various alarm bells going off when a child is involved, but having some kind of across-the-board policy to follow would be useful.

For example, South Africa has very strict documentation rules with regard to under-18s (even if both parents or guardians are present), and our experience is that BA's actions on the ground seem to vary quite a bit depending on the manager in charge of the local outstation. I wrote before on here about a dismal experience at SFO, where the BA check-in staff said that they were obliged to photocopy our son's birth certificate ("BA policy"). After I made a complaint, it turns out it's no such thing, it was just an over-zealous manager's personal policy at the SFO outstation. We've never been asked for a copy to be made before or since.
The agent wasnt confused if you arent named the agent cant discuss. If theres only a passenger name and the agent isnt able to see a cardholder name they cant speak to someone not named.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba

The agent wasnt confused if you arent named the agent cant discuss. If theres only a passenger name and the agent isnt able to see a cardholder name they cant speak to someone not named.
So by this logic, if the child is two, BA would still follow the same policy?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
So by this logic, if the child is two, BA would still follow the same policy?
is it possible to book for a two year old on their own with no adult with BA?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

is it possible to book for a two year old on their own with no adult with BA?

My understanding is that to be truly unaccompanied, the passenger must be 14 or over. If 13 or under, I believe they can be on their own booking reference, but must have an adult booking 'linked' (or be on the same booking reference as the adult), with a parental/guardian consent form. In other words, I'm not sure there's a policy which differentiates nine year old passengers from two year old passengers.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jul 24, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.