Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Deltus
Shorter flights:
Breakfast service (departures up to and including 0930):
  • Danish pastry, a granola pot with milk, an orange juice and tea/coffee.
  • Ham, cheese, a boiled egg, bread, yoghurt, orange juice and tea/coffee.
All other times of day: snack (e.g. popcorn) and drinks from the bar.

Flights to/from FLR, VCE, NCE, AGP, GRX, MAH, PMI, FAO and LIN:
Departures up to and including 0930 get a breakfast (bacon roll, panini or fruit salad and yogurt).
All get a meal if flying between 1200 and 1359 (not based on departure time).
All other departures get a snack (an entire trolley full is loaded per sector).

Flights to/from JMK, JTR and JSI:
Breakfast until 0930 and an enhanced meal after this time (same as the shorter flights but with cheese and crackers, and a chocolate or mint).

There are three menu rotations plus a never changing vegetarian option:
Menu 1:
Outbound: poached salmon pasta salad
Inbound: roast chicken pasta salad

Menu 2:
Outbound: poached salmon with couscous
Inbound: roast chicken with couscous

Menu 3:
Outbound: mackerel with potato salad
Inbound: roast chicken with potato salad

Vegetarian:
Outbound: falafel with chickpea salad
inbound: falafel with couscous
Print Wikipost

Catering in Y on BA Cityflyer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:01 pm
dnw
Original Poster

Catering in Y on BA Cityflyer

(I have tried a search but apologies if this is old news)

The falafel strikes back!

Just been pleasantly surprised by the return of the old CityFlyer catering in Y on tonight’s PMI-LCY. Crew said been a month or so but I think it’s just the last few days as I take this flight once a week this time of year.

It was the old choice of falafel or mackerel (where the mackerel was sometimes chicken salad). Brownie and all.

Did BA finally figure out BoB was going to be impossible on CityFlyer?

Makes a massive difference to me with the timing of the flight. Hope it’s not a trial!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I presume you mean that LCY has moved from a biscuit to a meal on this service? BoB has never had a firm implementation date at LCY and it still doesn't. I suspect it was a choice of BoB or ditching CE given 2 cabin crew.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Bizarre; I have never had anything more than the crisps/popcorn+ drink on LCY flights, except in the morning.

Mackerel offered in Economy?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Mackerel offered in Economy?
Can be any wet fish, not necessarily mackerel. Served as a slap in the face.
choosethedrew and sph77 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Sounds like you got a longer sector such as JMK-LCY meal instead of a shorter snack meal.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA
Had the same choice the last 24th of May, pic attached. I guess they had a huuuuge deal on mackerel and falafel if its still rocking after 2 months!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dnw
(I have tried a search but apologies if this is old news)

The falafel strikes back!

Just been pleasantly surprised by the return of the old CityFlyer catering in Y on tonight’s PMI-LCY. Crew said been a month or so but I think it’s just the last few days as I take this flight once a week this time of year.

It was the old choice of falafel or mackerel (where the mackerel was sometimes chicken salad). Brownie and all.

Did BA finally figure out BoB was going to be impossible on CityFlyer?

Makes a massive difference to me with the timing of the flight. Hope it’s not a trial!
that’s absolutely no change, it is the standard Y offering from/to LCY on medium length flights at meal times and has been for years. I don’t do pmi so not sure if that’s new there (maybe a retiming?) but NCE has had that for nearly ever. Mackerel is indeed a rarer occurrence than the chicken with penne peas and corn, I personally like the felafel better. It even comes with dressing. The square of chocolate cake is also the same always, they must be heading for a world record there!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
That's a bit weird, I've taken the LCY-PMI flights a couple of times at the end of June but was only served popcorn.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:11 am
dnw
Original Poster

I have taken this exact flight (1950 Sunday PMI-LCY) 10 times so far this year and 15 last year and this is the first time that it has not been popcorn/biscuit/crisps since Aug 2016.

So either something has changed in the last week or they mistakenly loaded the bar for a long route on this medium route.

I will confirm next Sunday..!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dnw
...they mistakenly loaded the bar for a long route on this medium route...,
My guess is JMK-LCY got the pop corn and PMI-LCY got the meal.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The bandings for LCY are the legacy ones for the previous CE / ET experience. The new CE LHR-LGW catering has a different banding system which isn't aligned to the old one, and thus disconnected from LCY. I guess this was intended to be temporary until BoB got to LCY, but "temporary" came and continues. For LHR and LGW, PMI was one of the handful of winners with the new CE catering, since it's in Long, and along with now MAD it's the shortest of the Longs, if that isn't total goobledegook. So one possibility is that PMI-LCY catering has been upscaled - ET and CE - to represent a Long setting, even though on the legacy version it wasn't ever put in this category. If so, it's another example of BACF management being allowed to plough their own furrow. PMI is one of the handful of locations with flights to LHR, LGW and LCY.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The bandings for LCY are the legacy ones for the previous CE / ET experience. The new CE LHR-LGW catering has a different banding system which isn't aligned to the old one, and thus disconnected from LCY. I guess this was intended to be temporary until BoB got to LCY, but "temporary" came and continues. For LHR and LGW, PMI was one of the handful of winners with the new CE catering, since it's in Long, and along with now MAD it's the shortest of the Longs, if that isn't total goobledegook. So one possibility is that PMI-LCY catering has been upscaled - ET and CE - to represent a Long setting, even though on the legacy version it wasn't ever put in this category. If so, it's another example of BACF management being allowed to plough their own furrow. PMI is one of the handful of locations with flights to LHR, LGW and LCY.
Now if only NCE could be upgraded to long on LHR/LGW to reflect its standing from LCY....

I promise that I do not exaggerate if I say that on that route I have heard at least one person complain about C catering on at least 50% of my C flights on that route since the changes (my guess is that you hear it more there because it always has a lot of long haul F transit pax and a lot of very frequent very high contribution pax, including both the Monaco crowd and people with life split between multiple places).

PS: Honest forces me to specify for those who were not born with an Atlas at the back of their mind that the PMI route is about 200 miles longer than NCE so frankly, they are more deserving than us.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Now if only NCE could be upgraded to long on LHR/LGW to reflect its standing from LCY....

I promise that I do not exaggerate if I say that on that route I have heard at least one person complain about C catering on at least 50% of my C flights on that route since the changes (my guess is that you hear it more there because it always has a lot of long haul F transit pax and a lot of very frequent very high contribution pax, including both the Monaco crowd and people with life split between multiple places).

PS: Honest forces me to specify for those who were not born with an Atlas at the back of their mind that the PMI route is about 200 miles longer than NCE so frankly, they are more deserving than us.
Darling - those NCE were often "Here! Catch!" Packed in CE - the crew had to race to get done.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Has LHR/PMI been upgraded to Long? It was medium when I flew last month
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman
Has LHR/PMI been upgraded to Long? It was medium when I flew last month
It's still medium. I think the only route which has changed since 2017 is LHR-MAD going from medium to long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.