Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Replacement flight into different London airport

Old Jul 22, 18, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Silver

Hi All

We were due to fly back from Prague into LCY but were told the flight has been cancelled. BA speedily rebooked us onto LHR flight later tonight which is good but Iím due to stay near LCY tonight so will need to make my way back across London around 10pm

Does anybody know if BA will pay for HEX / tube or a taxi?

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, BA Gold
I think we might be on the same flight (and suffered from the same cancellation)...

You can claim for a taxi from LHR to LCY. You can also claim for EUR250 compensation for the delayed arrival. Even if the flight to LHR is only delayed by 2.5 hrs compared to the the LCY flight arrival time, I have been able to argue that this is 3 hr+ delay as I was meant to fly I to LCY (and I live very near LCY).
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by evanspa1 View Post
Hi All

We were due to fly back from Prague into LCY but were told the flight has been cancelled. BA speedily rebooked us onto LHR flight later tonight which is good but Iím due to stay near LCY tonight so will need to make my way back across London around 10pm

Does anybody know if BA will pay for HEX / tube or a taxi?

Thank you in advance
As they have cancelled the flight BA are required to get you to LCY, either by arranging that transport themselves or paying for your reasonable expenses. In reality for a LHR-LCY journey they will have no issue paying sensible public transport costs, or taxi fares up to £50, without much argument.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:03 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
BA is responsible for getting you to LCY, but you arguably need to be careful here - the cheapest option from LHR to near LCY for your hotel would be £3.10 off-peak using contactless/Oyster on the Underground, and a bit more buying a single paper ticket. By comparison, the minimum you’d get away with from LCY on the DLR or a bus would be £1.50. In other words, not really something worth the effort of claiming for.

The HEX really doesn’t help you much because it doesn’t go anywhere near LCY and you’d probably have a more difficult journey overall with luggage if you tried it.

If you felt a taxi was justified, BA’s normal limit is £50 without particular argument, but they might question if it really was required.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Is this in Club or economy?
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
I used to use a car service to/from T5 and Stratford which was between £40-60 each way. Not sure how this compares with the likes of Uber but less hassle than public transport ^
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
BA is responsible for getting you to LCY, but you arguably need to be careful here - the cheapest option from LHR to near LCY for your hotel would be £3.10 off-peak using contactless/Oyster on the Underground, and a bit more buying a single paper ticket. By comparison, the minimum youíd get away with from LCY on the DLR or a bus would be £1.50. In other words, not really something worth the effort of claiming for.

The HEX really doesnít help you much because it doesnít go anywhere near LCY and youíd probably have a more difficult journey overall with luggage if you tried it.

If you felt a taxi was justified, BAís normal limit is £50 without particular argument, but they might question if it really was required.
Agreed on all accounts, but considering the flight into LHR is expected to arrive at 21:40 I think a taxi is easy to justify. BA seem to usually not want to pay out more than GBP50, but I have not had difficult getting this up to, for example, GBP60 for LCY-LHR.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, itís in economy. EE sorry to hear you were also impacted!

Id normally not even consider a taxi but (1) Iím not alone (2) have heavy luggage (3) itís horrible travelling across London late on Sunday night (after 10pm) (4) Iím not feeling very well

So I might risk an Uber and argue with BA afterwards

Iíve read the BA EU261 guidelines and it seems to indicate that for cancelled flights, not delayed flights, that 250 euros each is payable if the alternative flight lands more than 2 hours after the original was scheduled;

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...n-compensation

thanks
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:24 am

Thanks guys, itís in economy. EE sorry to hear you were also impacted!

Id normally not even consider a taxi but (1) Iím not alone (2) have heavy luggage (3) itís horrible travelling across London late on Sunday night (after 10pm) (4) Iím not feeling very well

Iíve read the BA EU261 guidelines and it seems to indicate that for cancelled flights, not delayed flights, that 250 euros each is payable if the alternative flight lands more than 2 hours after the original was scheduled;

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...n-compensation

thanks
PM me if you need lounge access.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer View Post

PM me if you need lounge access.
Thanks EE - Iím a GCH so already have lounge access, but I very much appreciate your kind offer
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Id normally not even consider a taxi but (1) I’m not alone (2) have heavy luggage (3) it’s horrible travelling across London late on Sunday night (after 10pm) (4) I’m not feeling very well

I’ve read the BA EU261 guidelines and it seems to indicate that for cancelled flights, not delayed flights, that 250 euros each is payable if the alternative flight lands more than 2 hours after the original was scheduled;

Yes, a cancellation is 2 hours (so long as it is not extraordinary circumstances) hence you should be OK there.

I doubt you will have much problem with a Uber fare, particularly since you are Gold and there are mitigating circumstances. The worst outcome would be just £50 for the Uber, plus the 250€. Clearly if you accommodate another passenger or two on the taxi then you would be in a stronger position. Make sure you document this (e.g. screenshots and so on). Even at that hour the tube is likely to be the faster option depending on the final arrival point.

Here is the dispatch information which is a bit curious:

DOBA7338/22JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA7338 0 SU 22JUL18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

PRG ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1930
DELAY ZY
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0829
CCRN
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2022 LCY
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA7338 0 SU 22JUL18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
PRG 1800 SU JCDRI/M YB/S E70 2:00
HKMLVNOQSG/S
LCY 1900 SU 2:00
COMMENTS-
1.PRG LCY - AIRCRAFT OWNER BA CITYFLYER
2.PRG LCY - OPERATED BY BA CITYFLYER
3.PRG LCY - DEPARTS TERMINAL 1
4.PRG LCY - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.PRG LCY - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.PRG LCY - CO2/PAX* 147.08 KG ECO, 147.08 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
E70 C 16 M 60
The cancellation code is CCR and N stands for no compensation payable. I thought CCR is crew shortage which almost always leads to EC261, but hopefully someone can throw some more light on the reasons for the cancellation of BA7338. It doesn't stop you claiming the taxi and right to care expenses. I would urge you to find out what the ground crew at PRG know.

I hope you feel better soon. I had an odd experience on Friday when I felt unwell on boarding but fine by arrival, which in shorthaul is not to be expected!
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:57 am

Thanks EE - Iím a GCH so already have lounge access, but I very much appreciate your kind offer
Great - just checking! Come and say hi if you are in the lounge. Im wearing white shirt with light blue stripes and sitting at the window.
Old Jul 22, 18, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

Yes, a cancellation is 2 hours (so long as it is not extraordinary circumstances) hence you should be OK there.

I doubt you will have much problem with a Uber fare, particularly since you are Gold and there are mitigating circumstances. The worst outcome would be just £50 for the Uber, plus the 250Ä. Clearly if you accommodate another passenger or two on the taxi then you would be in a stronger position. Make sure you document this (e.g. screenshots and so on). Even at that hour the tube is likely to be the faster option depending on the final arrival point.

Here is the dispatch information which is a bit curious:

DOBA7338/22JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA7338 0 SU 22JUL18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

PRG ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1930
DELAY ZY
FLIGHT CANCELLED 0829
CCRN
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2022 LCY
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA7338 0 SU 22JUL18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
PRG 1800 SU JCDRI/M YB/S E70 2:00
HKMLVNOQSG/S
LCY 1900 SU 2:00
COMMENTS-
1.PRG LCY - AIRCRAFT OWNER BA CITYFLYER
2.PRG LCY - OPERATED BY BA CITYFLYER
3.PRG LCY - DEPARTS TERMINAL 1
4.PRG LCY - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.PRG LCY - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.PRG LCY - CO2/PAX* 147.08 KG ECO, 147.08 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
E70 C 16 M 60
The cancellation code is CCR and N stands for no compensation payable. I thought CCR is crew shortage which almost always leads to EC261, but hopefully someone can throw some more light on the reasons for the cancellation of BA7338. It doesn't stop you claiming the taxi and right to care expenses. I would urge you to find out what the ground crew at PRG know.

I hope you feel better soon. I had an odd experience on Friday when I felt unwell on boarding but fine by arrival, which in shorthaul is not to be expected!
Thanks for all the additional info. The PRG ground crew have no idea why the flight was cancelled. The flight already had a 1 hr delay yesterday evening when I checked in and the expected reg alternated between G-LCYD and G-LCYE a couple of times before getting cancelled. BA Customer Service had no idea either, but confirmed that there is no weather impacting the flight. Iíd like to see them wiggle out of this one!
Old Jul 22, 18, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CWS / EE, including info on the flight. As has been mentioned the timings started moving about yesterday evening so canít see how they can get out of EU261. EE good to meet you in the lounge
Europeanexplorer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 18, 3:45 pm

To give you a reference Iíve recently ubered twice from Barbican to T3 at anti-social (traffic free) times and it was £32 and £34, so Iíd be fairly hopeful you would get to LCY for about £50.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: