Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
BA lounges at Toronto Pearson

Terminal 3 departures, near Gate C30. Entrance location shown on the map below:

Overview
  • Dedicated BA lounge space reopened in June 2018. Now managed by Plaza Premium
  • Normal BA access rules apply. No avenues for entry via Priority Pass/Dragonpass or cash booking
    Further road testing may be needed to ascertain if this can be treated as a oneworld lounge
  • Preflight dining available in the business class section, accessible to all guests (for now)
  • Small dining room located in the First section available to First ticket holders
  • No showers but guests may use the shower facilities belonging to the Plaza Premium lounge next door
Print Wikipost

Toronto YYZ British Airways Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Toronto YYZ British Airways Lounges

So - sitting in the first section of the lounge now.

There is appreciable rennovation. The chairs in the first section are (mainly) replaced - certainly all the dining chairs/tables and the chairs in the area near the windows have been. The section in the drinks area (the brown bench type seating) are the same as previously as are the tables.

Drinks selection as per Plaza Premium setup - but looks far more arranged and much less 'house party' (as I previously described it).

TV towards the check in desk is no longer showing TV, is now vertical and showing images for PP lounges.

The 'british airways' logo behind the desk is also new.

In the club side - all the chairs are replaced and they all look new. Can't say I previously paid attention to the carpet to care or not.

Buffet looks like it's back to similar pre-move standard along with a live cooking station. Haven't tried it yet - will review once I'm done. But there's no one guarding the entrance limiting WT or WTP travelling silver/golds. So we're still in positive territory for me and these folks.

There are, however, a LOT of staff floating around. I've been offered a drink by 3 separate people and I've only been here 10 minutes.

Non-buffet snacks look like they did previously before the move out.

All in all - back to standard, Looks like some good renovation without being a complete bulldoze/rebuild. I'll reserve complete judgement till after the food.

Got photos - but they are trapped on my phone.

Oh - and two more things. 1) Wifi is the plaza premium one and is working well and 2) There are still only two gents and one ladies toilet.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Ok - adding some commentary about food.

I wasn't really impressed.

Live cooking was pasta with a marinara or garlic/oil sauces. Didn't look overly appetising. Selection of salads as usual.

Buffet main was 'roasted beef with yorkshire puddings'. Yorkshires were clearly packet based (or the most uniform yorkshires I've ever seen) but not bad - and, in fairness, the beef was actually pretty edible. Well done, but not leather. Certainly better than most pub sunday roasts.

Other addons to the buffet included mash with cheese (which I found unpleasant), roasted mushrooms (which were ok) and some cauliflower cheese (which I declined).

There was a hot pudding of bread and butter pudding, which I didn't try and some smaller puds in the form of 'cheesecake bites', 'lemon squares' and 'chocolate dipped strawberries' - all of which were quite good. Not quite up to the standard of the old lounge - but pretty good.

I need to take back what I said about the non-buffet snacks. On the first side - they actually look quite good. Some hors d'oeuvres type things and some mini treats like mini eclairs. I didn't spot similar on the club side.

There is a first class menu being offered, but I wouldn't have known until someone came to ask. I've seen no meals go out to anyone in the First dining area.

I have seen them talking to people on the first side and they *seem* to be encouraging people to go to the buffet and bring the food back to eat on the First side. I ate over the other side and there are 3 times as many seats as there previously were in the buffet area. That's great for seating space, but it now feels a little crowded and canteen like. They are trying to re-assure people on the way in with "absolutely nothing has changed sir" (I've heard that refrain three times now).

I've also seen them actively turning people away from the First side.

Final thing - the toilets haven't been touched - still exactly the same as they were - which I find very funny as those were the things that needed some re-thinking (given 2 gents, 1 ladies and 1 disabled for the number of people)..
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Head for Points: Review of the ‘new’ BA lounge in Toronto, managed by Plaza Premium

Here is a link to an article today on the Head for Points blog, provided by a reader.

"All in all Dawn said that the reopened British Airways lounges at Toronto are decent, but not outstanding. The Business Class dining area is certainly an improvement on many other lounges even if the food selection in the First lounge for Gold card holders is meagre"..

The food available for GCHs not travelling in F was always limited to sandwiches, cheese and other snacks.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...ounge-toronto/
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Entrance
So - on request - I'm adding my photos of the lounge.

Unfortunately the shots of the main lounge area should have been taken from the other direction because the light from the windows washed it all out - so sorry there are no shots of that.

Those of you familiar with the lounge might be asking "well - really - what's changed?"

Coffee stand in Club section

Drinks in the First section

Wine selection in First section

First section - brown sofas, still the same as ever.

Club lounge section

First lounge section - looking towards the windows. Chairs replaced.

Dining area - you can see the replaced tables and chars, but also more seating going on.

Last edited by MPH1980; Jul 27, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Thanks MPH1980 for sharing your photos and for your review ^

I have added some general notes to the thread’s Wiki. Please feel free to add/correct as you see fit.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I went through the "new" BA lounge at YYZ a bit over a week ago for the first time. I found the food a significant downgrade from the offerings before Plaza Premium took it over (although I always fly J/F, so for those in Y/W, I guess SOME food is better than NO food). I found the staff very nice and helpful (and the place generally better staffed than when BA was running it). Having said that, I had some specific questions about pre-boarding times as I was travelling with kids, and was taken by surprise when the (very nice) lady at the desk told me that she had to "call BA" and get back to me (I had forgotten that the staff weren't BA!).

All-in-all, definitely not a train wreck as lounges go -- although I think a major step down in terms of the food. If I hadn't spent so much time in the old lounge over the years, I probably would have been pretty positive about the whole experience. That is, until I experienced AC's new Signature Lounge in YYZ, which blows this lounge out of the water completely.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Visited the BA Flounge on Monday. Not a great lounge but the staff were certainly very friendly and attentive. Only four of us taking advantage of the First Class dining. Glad we ate here as the food on the flight was absolutely disgusting and inedible.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/46144772@N00/, on Flickr

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Went through here last Friday in F. Lounge was very busy ,fantastic views of the runway.
Staff were great,very friendly and attentive.
Ontario red wine was great,can't remember exactly what it was,think it was a Merlot, but wanted to try the local wine.
We just had Mains,New York Strip was very tender and tasty.

First Menu

Appetiser
Roasted Beet and AvocadoTartare
White Balsamic, avocado creme,microsprouts
or
Chilled Heirlooms Tomato Soup
Crispy basil,basil oil microsprouts.

Main
Pan Seared Lake Trout
Chardonnay creamed leek,leak ash and fried thyme
or
New York Strips
Cauliflower emulsion,buttered brussel sprouts,merlot juice
or
Cheese Ravioli
Truffle spinach veloute, parmesan crisps
Final
Premium Cheese Platter
Buckwheat honey

They had mini quiche,and other snacks,and mini chocolate eclairs and macarons.
Really enjoyed our visit.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Cheese plate was also very good. One bizarre point of reference- our BA F BP didn’t give us access to security fast track but my Amex Plat did!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Visited the BA Flounge on Monday. Not a great lounge but the staff were certainly very friendly and attentive. Only four of us taking advantage of the First Class dining. Glad we ate here as the food on the flight was absolutely disgusting and inedible.
My bolding. Can you elaborate further? I’d hoped that the supposed uplift in the quality of club catering might have filtered forward. My recollection is that ex-YYZ like other outstations the F food left a lot to be desired. Still the case, then?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BA235

My bolding. Can you elaborate further? I’d hoped that the supposed uplift in the quality of club catering might have filtered forward. My recollection is that ex-YYZ like other outstations the F food left a lot to be desired. Still the case, then?
I will send you a PM tomorrow morning. Just to give a hint both the captain and CSM asked me to send a complaint to AC about the food and F in general
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
. One bizarre point of reference- our BA F BP didn’t give us access to security fast track but my Amex Plat did!
We just showed our BP's at the Fast track Security Entrance and we were waved through.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I will send you a PM tomorrow morning. Just to give a hint both the captain and CSM asked me to send a complaint to AC about the food and F in general
My word! Just as well that I’m in Club on my next trip.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sentosa
We just showed our BP's at the Fast track Security Entrance and we were waved through.
Bizarre, we were told BA F didn’t apply here - constinent or just random ?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold

Bizarre, we were told BA F didn’t apply here - constinent or just random ?
I frequent this route and have always had fast track security when in First or Club

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.