Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell 767s. Thanks for the memories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
My flight to LCA on 24 November has also changed to a 767. I now understand that that will be one of the very last flights to which I'm now really looking forward!

Am I right in thinking that row 27 (even the middle section) is decent for a long-ish flight? We're a group of 5 and have currently selected those. Never been past row 16 on them.

I also like them for their sense of space in the cabin. Most of my flights on them however have been the early (Monday-) morning run to AMS which always seems packed to the very last seat and generally unpleasant. Not the bird's fault though!
Yep the row is good. Make sure the people in the middle section pull down the bassinet & stretch their legs out - to prevent other passengers using the space as a cut through.
mwp1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:12 pm

I just booked a return to Larnaca for the end of November. I had no idea it was on a 767, just assumed it'd be an A320/A321 like most European flights. I guess I'll get a taste of the 767 only for it to leave afterwards.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Realised I have flown on 17 of the BA 767s. It was always a revelation that BA could feed and water a whole 767 with a hot breakfast on the MAN-LHR run.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Scrudgy
I know exactly what you mean. I had a Yak 40 from Tashkent to Samarkand. It looked a bit aged but I thought it looked OK, three turbofan engines at the rear, so I thought this won't take long.

We were on the runway for seemingly ages, eventually became aware we had actually lifted off rather than felt it, we climbed ever so slowly for a long time. There was no feeling of being pushed back in your seat for sure. So a little over 1 hour later we safely landed at Samarkand and I thought it was much further than I thought.

Three days later, flew back to Tashkent on an Antonov 24 turboprop and I thought this might take a while longer. 45 minutes later we were there.... I was confused why the Yak 40 took so long.

So I spoke to a colleague who lived in Tashkent about this anomaly. The reply was that it was likely that only one of the three engines was used on the Yak 40 either due to spare parts shortage or fuel saving. While I find this a little hard to believe I can't deny that 1 hour and 5 minutes for a 160 mile flight was a long time for a short distance, so who knows - maybe he was bang on correct.
I doubt a Yak 40 is airworthy on less than all 3 engines--it's barely airworthy on all 3! Cruising speed for the Yak40 and An24 is likely comparable.

I was once told that the Yak 40 is affectionally called " Destroyer of fuel" by its crews.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Well I, for one, will miss the 767

I rather think my trip to EDI yesterday is likely to be my last before the 767s are all gone. The big, comfy seats and a spacious cabin are the last reminders of how it used to be. I always enjoyed my regular trips to IST on them, but now the reduced circumstances of an A320 don't compare - most certainly for anything more than an hour or so. Sigh.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:25 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Had my last trip on Monday on 767 coming back from AMS and I definitely miss them
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had mine last September on WA. Don't think I'll get on the last flight. Rumored to be 25-Nov back from LCA. No conformation yet. I'd love to get on one more either to AMS in October or something as it would be cheaper but we'll see I guess.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Well, you could hope that BA can get some very cheap second hand of A332 and A333 to do the job B767 used to do. Not as good as B767 but will provide similar comfort for passengers.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Well, you could hope that BA can get some very cheap second hand of A332 and A333 to do the job B767 used to do. Not as good as B767 but will provide similar comfort for passengers.
Not likely. They have a load of A350 and B787 coming next year as well as A321neo and as expected some of the 788 will end up on those longer European routes such as LCA and others. Almost 0 chance of a new type in the A330.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Have booked one last flight on it before it goes. The only time I could squeeze something in was Sunday 28 October when I am doing a back to back to ARN.

To end of September looks like the 767 is on MAD, AMS, ARN, FRA, EDI, FCO, LCA, and ATH.

During the last week of October the remaining 767 routes are dropped. From 6 November onwards it is just LCA, and the last 767 flights in the system currently is the LCA rotation on Sunday 25 November.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Another recent tread is discussing the farewell to this aircraft type.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Have booked one last flight on it before it goes. The only time I could squeeze something in was Sunday 28 October when I am doing a back to back to ARN.

To end of September looks like the 767 is on MAD, AMS, ARN, FRA, EDI, FCO, LCA, and ATH.

During the last week of October the remaining 767 routes are dropped. From 6 November onwards it is just LCA, and the last 767 flights in the system currently is the LCA rotation on Sunday 25 November.
Yes they have 5 767 left. 3 retire on 31-Oct and the final 2 is 1 and a spare for most of Nov operating just LCA predominantly. The final two frames are both from HA/HB/HC. The other H? and WX/WZ are retiring on 31-Oct.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by george77300
Not likely. They have a load of A350 and B787 coming next year as well as A321neo and as expected some of the 788 will end up on those longer European routes such as LCA and others. Almost 0 chance of a new type in the A330.
Although I used the word of 'hope'. But one thing I have learned in last 10 years is that never say NEVER.

With Qatar's blockage still in, Air Asia's A330 second adventure on, and AA's intention to get rid of A333 if market condition warrant that, plus the possible downturn in world economy which may cause carriers make some painful decision on existing fleet, the market will have quite few A330 coming online as very cheap second hand. Since A320/A321 captain can be rated in A330 fairly easily, with data generated by Iberia and Level running A330s, it might happen one day. Although the possibility is still low at this moment. But the change could be higher than 0. On a scale from 0 to 100, I would say easily close to 20%.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by KARFA

Thinking about flying the last flight out of ARN on the 27 Oct and returning the following day 28 Oct on the last 767...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Thinking about flying the last flight out of ARN on the 27 Oct and returning the following day 28 Oct on the last 767...
well if you do I’ll see you on the ARN-LHR flight on 28 Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.