Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farewell 767s. Thanks for the memories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm

If the 767 still has a decade’s worth of life left, why is BA retiring them? I know AA has been refurbishing their old 767s. I’m surprised they aren’t keeping a few on the cargo-heavy routes.
Its long been my suspicion (and hope) which has been backed up by galley FM for what it’s worth that the 787-8 may make an appearance on some of the short haul 767 routes if and when RR can get the engine issues sorted and there’s a bit more capacity in the fleet...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
They are very fuel inefficient and I would think would require considerable investment in bringing the cabins up to BA’s current standard (to which read what you will!).

The replacement is likely to be the A320NEO series which provides a much improved cost per passenger km, partly through more fuel efficient engines, partly through higher seat density.

So to clarify: the pilots were only certified to fly 767s. In a few weeks time, they will have to have been through any conversion courses to be any use to BA as active employees.
Once they go through a conversion course to a different type they will no longer be able to fly the B767
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
That's a bit harsh!

There are all sorts of interesting opportunities for pilots to be useful at an airline like BA without actually flying aircraft. Most pilots are smart people and I wonder if the retirement of their type might even cause some to choose to find a new vocation. Maybe something closely related to flying like training; something operationally focused but a bit more distant like emergency planning; day to day operations control centre; catering, ground services or the like; or something more strategic like revenue management, corporate sales, fleet planning or network planning.

Almost surely most will stay pilots though.
Most will be on a training course for a new type. Some will retire etc.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by george77300
Yes when the 767s retire all the pilots still on it (this will be a gradual process with lots of BAs 767 already started/converted) will be transferred to another fleet. Possibly 777 or A320 series or whereever BA need pilots. They will go through the conversion and new type rating which will take a couple months I think. (Possibly quicker if they are going to the 777 than the A320) and then they will fly the new fleet. They will remain BA employees throughout unless they choose to retire. (Possible for some of the oldest Captains)
The released crew will be able to bid for the fleet they want. Training will take 4 to 6 months.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The captain and FO had been flying solely 767s for about 12 years and their belief was that our particular metal had at least another 10 to go, so these may well end up being sold on rather than scrapped.
The likelihood of them flying for another carrier will be slim due to their RR engines. They are quite a rare breed and there isn't the option to fit winglets either.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by TedToToe
They are quite a rare breed and there isn't the option to fit winglets either.

I thought that most B767-300's with winglets had those retrofitted?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Great_circle
I thought that most B767-300's with winglets had those retrofitted?
Indeed, they are, but only certified on GE or P&W examples, I believe.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by TedToToe

The likelihood of them flying for another carrier will be slim due to their RR engines. They are quite a rare breed and there isn't the option to fit winglets either.
My thinking was that everything that can't be farmed off elsewhere ends up somewhere in Africa!

Whilst there's still the RR engine issue, which would be at odds with the CFM units in their current fleet of 737s, anyone likely to make a case for Comair operating them?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
I've had three AMS flights in the past few weeks, the most recent also this morning - including an ex-EU B2B on which the CC insisted we visit the flight deck after. The captain and FO had been flying solely 767s for about 12 years and their belief was that our particular metal had at least another 10 to go, so these may well end up being sold on rather than scrapped.

Rather more interesting in terms of crew deployment was that neither of them had yet been re-certified for any other types, so possibly BA will start to roll that through only once the final retirements start to take effect.
the avionics probably don’t. I for one won’t be keen to ride a 40 year old plane in a decade.

good riddance to them. Too small a fleet so often late, rubbish CE layout (though better seat pitch), overheads hopeless for today’s carry on, leaking loos and door 2 Hearhrow exit scrum, plus the noise and gas guzzling are things neither I nor the environment will miss.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DFB_london

the avionics probably don’t. I for one won’t be keen to ride a 40 year old plane in a decade.

good riddance to them. Too small a fleet so often late, rubbish CE layout (though better seat pitch), overheads hopeless for today’s carry on, leaking loos and door 2 Hearhrow exit scrum, plus the noise and gas guzzling are things neither I nor the environment will miss.
I can't particularly disagree with much of your second paragraph, but BA's 767s are currently nothing like 30 years old - they are mostly floating around 1998 delivery dates. That really is no age at all for an airframe. I'd also expect that the cockpit avionics, at least, have been updated.

To suggest that they would somehow be unsafe in another 10 years doesn't, for me, stack up. If it did I wouldn't have been flying on a Comair 737 - which would most likely have seen far more rotations - recently ...

It's economic reality that has done for the fleet, not safety.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
I can't particularly disagree with much of your second paragraph, but BA's 767s are currently nothing like 30 years old - they are mostly floating around 1998 delivery dates. That really is no age at all for an airframe. I'd also expect that the cockpit avionics, at least, have been updated.

To suggest that they would somehow be unsafe in another 10 years doesn't, for me, stack up. If it did I wouldn't have been flying on a Comair 737 - which would most likely have seen far more rotations - recently ...

It's economic reality that has done for the fleet, not safety.
that too. Why send a heavy fuel guzzling 767 with 240 ish seats when a 321 can do it with 230 squeezed in (and still probably has more overhead lockers room). Cargo isn’t what it used to be and since this months cut backs the CE food will fit in teeny trolly.
Some of the 767 CSDs were great but they seemed to get the chop before Easter so that appeal went too.
in CE at least I’ll be glad to see them gone. Sometimes it’s been hard to avoid them on some routes
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I was flying Northwest DC-9-30s up until 2009 that were built in the late 1960s and then Delta DC-9-50s until 2014 that were built in the mid-1970s. It wasn't that bad and was in fact kind of fun, especially when you peeked into the cockpit
Great_circle likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
are BA not officially marking the retirement like they did with the 757?

They ran a retro painted 757 up to MAN on its last day
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I'd also expect that the cockpit avionics, at least, have been updated.......
Interestingly, the CSD on my last flight had been a BA man something like 40 years and had originally been in engineering (joining BA in the same intake as the skipper on the flight so they were old buddies). Had a good chat to him at one point and he was saying that had they retained the fleet, there was actually a mandatory upgrade to something in the avionics that would have come due soon. I think some EASA mandated change to the radae but not 100% sure.

So from what he said, yeah but no kinda thing....

Some of the 767 CSDs were great but they seemed to get the chop before Easter so that appeal went too.
in CE at least I’ll be glad to see them gone. Sometimes it’s been hard to avoid them on some routes
I've actually had great CSDs lately - depends who you get of course. And completely opposing view on CE as well tbh (not that my view is necessarily more correct of course). I like the CE product on the 767, when seated in the two in the window at least. Overall I think what I basically like, when it all comes down to it, is SH routes on a twin aisle aircraft as it somehow seems more spacious.

Got my 4h sectors to IST on the A320 coming up soon so after that I guess I'll at least have the more balanced opinion.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Had probably my last flight on 767 this week - EDI-LHR. I'll really miss the seats, which are much bigger and significantly more comfortable, along with better seat pitch, than anything on the A319/20/21 fleet (beyond the CW configured 321s!). A few mins of turbulence on the approach into LHR as a final salute before landing. Happy memories 😎

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.