Who is Group 3?

Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I am confused by this - what differentiates groups 4 and 5?
HBO fares, group travel, standby, concessions.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Im not sure anything does, will wait for a BA staffer or someone in the know to conf or deny of course, I was under the impression it was simply to split the Y cabin so it's not 150+ econ pax all trying to board a LH flight at once or is it not?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
HBO fares, group travel, standby, concessions.
OK, thanks ^

Personally I would have preferred to see a differentiator between F and Gold, but I can understand that with the size of the Y cabin perhaps that is more workable.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Me! I‘ll be one of those “scum of the earth” Bronze card holders next year (if I fly BA).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Oh for the good old days when all boarding was by row number starting at the back, other than First Class and those needing assistance who were boarded first. That of course is way back when there were only 2 classes, First and Economy with no FF programs giving 'status' to anyone. Of course if we went back to that, most posters here would have nothing to post about. LOL
As you clearly don’t travel a great deal, it’s perhaps understandable that you wouldn’t know that there are many airlines that board this way.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Im not sure anything does, will wait for a BA staffer or someone in the know to conf or deny of course, I was under the impression it was simply to split the Y cabin so it's not 150+ econ pax all trying to board a LH flight at once or is it not?
Groups 4 and 5 are for those in economy with no OW status: Group 4 are those on tickets which allow hold luggage; Group 5 is HBO tickets.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eltham

As you clearly don’t travel a great deal, it’s perhaps understandable that you wouldn’t know that there are many airlines that board this way.
LOL, clearly you have not noticed that this thread is about BA, not 'many airlines'. BA used to load by row from the back, they no longer do. Duhhhh.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Me! I‘ll be one of those “scum of the earth” Bronze card holders next year (if I fly BA).

Stay out of the LGW BA Club lounge( widely regarded as one of the rare times LGW got something better than LHR) or you risk finding yourself hooked and wont remain Bronze for long. That damn lounge is costing me a fortune this year. Still not a touch on the likes of the lounges in HKG, SIN etc but it's an alluring space you can get hooked on easily.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They do say the most sensible ones are those who choose to board last of all....I tend to agree.
i agree, until the day i board and there was no overhead space with my rollerboard.
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup

Well that’s just really poor advice.., what if there are no seats left?
Then you'd look hiddy-ious
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:22 am

You pretty much do. As a recent switcher to BA i'm only a Blue ( The real scum of the earth for those who've forgotten they were also at the bottom of the ladder once themselves) but I've never had lower than P1 on all my SH flights as im in the CE part of the cabin. It applies to a 4 class LH aircraft as well. If you have Blue or aren't even a BAEC member then you will get group one on your BC because you're flying in the highest class of cabin on the aircraft.

Tbh it rarely bothers me anyway if the lounge is half decent then it's highly unlikely i'll be at the gate when boarding opens as i'll be busy escalating BA's F&B cost in said lounge. I've got an assigned seat most the time so why do I need to rush from a perfectly calm & relaxed( well 'ish) lounge to be in some mele at a gate because people can't get their heads around the fact you if it's not your turn then your just standing in a scrum for no reason at all.I'll just have me another bloody mary or if i'm feeling like punishing myself a glass of tepid castel-no! then just saunter straight through when then idiocy has passed.
This to me would be a truly 'premium' experience -waiting in the lounge until somebody walks up and informs that if I leave now, by the time I get to the the gate there will be no queue for boarding and I can walk straight to my seat.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:52 am

Stay out of the LGW BA Club lounge( widely regarded as one of the rare times LGW got something better than LHR) or you risk finding yourself hooked and wont remain Bronze for long. That damn lounge is costing me a fortune this year. Still not a touch on the likes of the lounges in HKG, SIN etc but it's an alluring space you can get hooked on easily.
Hi, I have been in the Gatwick lounge a couple of times before flights to the Canary Islands but usually use Heathrow for work trips as LHR is closer to home.

I only fly Shorthaul European or domestic for work and have gone back to using airlines other than BA this year where possible so I won’t qualify for Silver for next year. It will be cheaper to buy a Priority Pass for next year than chase Tier Points and then I plan to retire in 2020 so will only be travelling for leisure and for that I don’t mind the likes of easyJet, Norwegian, TUI and Aer Europa.

Very pleased to hear that you are enjoying your lounge access though. :-)
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by babats
This to me would be a truly 'premium' experience -waiting in the lounge until somebody walks up and informs that if I leave now, by the time I get to the the gate there will be no queue for boarding and I can walk straight to my seat.
Pleased to say you can, well from personal experience anyway, do this in the Club lounge at LGW( ergo i'm guessing at other BA lounges?). You can ask the staff to tell you when you're flight is leaving ( there are screens you can use yourself of course) and they'll ask if you want to be there for when boarding starts or just make sure you are there before it closes then someone will come and find you and let you know that now is probably a good time to leave. No idea if it's SOP or the fact that the lounge team there seem to be getting used to seeing Mrs Clam & I although when mini-clam flew from there on here own( she's not that mini/ not a minor) I'd told her about it ( LGW isn't her own home airport so she's not as familiar with the place) she asked at reception and they afforded her the same service. As I said much more civilised to enjoy the lounge and avoid the melee at the gate caused by those who can't grasp an, imo, fairly obvious system/ can't count so feel free to give it a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.