Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Wing - access from Heathrow Express?

Old Jul 19, 18, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

The interactive Heathrow Express maps are driving me a bit crazy. I also did a google search and maybe people who fly First don't take the Heathrow Express. But - I'm assuming it is easy to get from the Terminal 5 stop to the First Wing? Can anyone confirm/explain the walk?
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
The interactive Heathrow Express maps are driving me a bit crazy. I also did a google search and maybe people who fly First don't take the Heathrow Express. But - I'm assuming it is easy to get from the Terminal 5 stop to the First Wing? Can anyone confirm/explain the walk?
Take the lift up to departures, follow the walkways onto the main check-in area floor, turn right, walk for about a mile and a half* to the southern end of the building.

* I exaggerate slightly, but if you don't really need to go to the First Wing, it can feel like a long way out of your way - and as it's not some aeronautical Nirvana, it may not be worth it. However, if you do need to go to the First Wing, then there is no alternative to this walk if you arrive by HEX or Tube.
kwisstan and SF1K like this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:18 pm

Take the elevator up to departures and then walk the entire length of the check in area. To the First check-in. You the go through security and walk out of the First lounge the CCR. It is signposted after you get through the first wing and into the lounge

Beaten to it.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Youíll take the lift up to the departures level which lets you out between zones B and C. From there youíll walk the length of the terminal to zone J. With a brisk walk the total time from train to zone J is about 5 minutes. Iím sure c-w-s knows the exact distances and has timed it previously. The above is my experience from yesterday which was closer to 6 minutes as the lifts were slow, and there was a queue of about 5 groups waiting to checkin. I was from the train to the lounge in about 12 minutes.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post

Hi,

Take the elevators to departures and once you are in the check in area turn right towards Zone H at the southern end of the T5 building and the First check in and First Wing is there ( it is pretty hard to miss)

Regards

TBS
SF1K likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone!! Really appreciate so many quick and detailed responses.
Old Jul 19, 18, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The walk from where the lifts drop you off to the First Wing is around 3/4 minutes at brisk pace. Definitely worth the effort.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jul 20, 18, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur View Post
The walk from where the lifts drop you off to the First Wing is around 3/4 minutes at brisk pace. Definitely worth the effort.
I tend to be a super fast walker even faster in airports (bit of a joke among anyone who knows me). So Iíll defo make the ďtrekĒ. Always good to have a nice brisk walk before sitting on a plane for hours anyway!
Old Jul 20, 18, 12:40 am

If you're going to walk to the South Lounge complex anyway, certainly I think it's better to be able to do it in one straight shot landside to the First Wing rather than the airside adventure with escalators and crowds. Expedited security at the First Wing could make it worthwhile even if you weren't planning on going to the lounges.
Old Jul 20, 18, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Schultzois View Post
Expedited security at the First Wing could make it worthwhile even if you weren't planning on going to the lounges.
I imagine that most people entitled to use the First Wing would be entitled to use North Security Fast Track, about which I've seen practically no complaints. The entrance to that is much closer to the Heathrow Express lifts. If you were taking a flight that goes from the A1 end of the terminal, walking for 3-ish minutes to the First Wing, going through the First Lounge and then walking all the way back to the north end of the terminal through the crowds at shopping gate level is almost certain to take longer than clearing Fast Track North and going down the escalator immediately opposite the exit from security. And if you had a flight from that end of the terminal and you didn't have long to wait, it would seem largely pointless to go to the South lounges.

However, I agree that if you're going to one of the South lounges anyway, then the walk at check-in level is something you'd probably want to do.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: