Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5B Flight Connections - a pictorial guide - including T5B bus service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5B Flight Connections - a pictorial guide - including T5B bus service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

LHR Terminal 5B Flight Connections - a pictorial guide

This is a companion to a similar thread for passengers arriving at T5C with onwards connections:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ial-guide.html

This guide will show 2 scenarios:

A) You arrive at T5B and you are connecting on to another flight from either T5B or T5C. This scenario is covered in this post.

B) You arrive at T5B and you are connecting airside to T1, T3, T4 and shortly T2. This scenario is covered in the second post. You can in theory use this route from T5C to those terminals too, taking the transit one stop and then the lifts up to level 0, but unless you are a frequent LHR traveller it's probably not worth it.

It's important to note that gate allocations within T5 are dynamic and change at short notice. Therefore you cannot plan to arrive in T5B or T5C, nor plan to depart from there, there is no advance certainty on the issue. Flights can shift from terminal to terminal, but these are well advertised in advance by both the airline and on heathrowairport.com

Apologies for all the details, I know some people like to lap it up, I've underlined the key points that you actually need to know. Thank you Prospero for help with the graphics, and for the FTers below who have given support and advice.

=============

Scenario A) Flight Connections: Arriving at T5B, departing T5B or T5C

This post helps you:
  • If arriving at T5B (typically long haul) and connecting to another departure from T5B or T5C (again typically long haul). Transfer to and from domestic cannot happen at T5B or C, but anything else is possible. A380 services almost certainly will leave from T5C, though it's not a complete guarantee.
  • Your onwards service needs to leave from T5B or T5C and be shown on the departure monitors as such. If it doesn't you can try at the desk, since their computers have slightly more information.
  • You can do this connection if you have separate PNRs, Avios bookings, duty-free bags, pacemakers.
  • In doing this, you forfeit easy access to these lounges: Galleries First lounge (Flounge) and Concorde Room (CCR). There is a Galleries Club lounge in T5B, and you can use this for both B and C. If you want to use Flounge or CCR, and you have plenty of time on your connection (well over an hour I would suggest), just take the transit to T5A, the main building, go through Flight Connections there. There is an airside foot passage from T5B to T5A, which allows you the best of both worlds, but unless you are a T5 regular I wouldn't bother.
  • There isn't a lounge in T5C but there is a Starbucks, and First, CW and status passengers can have Ł15 towards their products. There is also BA lounge wifi available at Starbucks in T5C, but it would be helpful if you remembered the standard BA password (used through much of BA's network). If not the much slower HAL wifi is available.
  • All of T5 has step free access, so lifts can be used at all points here, however be careful to get off at the right place.
  • With the exception of domestic to international departures, all flight connections at T5 involve a security check, and in this scenario it takes place in T5B.
  • The reward is the a stress free transfer process.

T5B Gates are B32 to B47, T5C Gates are C52 to C66. T5A are A1 to A23. So you'll note that there is no overlap on numbers, gate 1 is only in A.

To be clear: you cannot clear Flight Connections T5B (or indeed its equivalent in T5C) unless your departure is from one of these gates. You cannot use these Flight Connection facilities as a proxy to clear T5A. People have reported being able to do it, but it can be assumed the staff members were unaware of standard procedures.

Firstly, once you are off the airbridge, establish you are indeed at T5B. When you arrive you should see clear white signs saying "Welcome to Heathrow. You are in Terminal 5. B Gates". The first photo in the T5C thread shows roughly what you are looking for.

Leave your aircraft, follow the signs for Flight Connections along a wide corridor. There are toilet facilities in this corridor. Then check if your departure is from B or C, see photo below. This example isn't very good, normally there are a few more flights showing than this, it shows more flights than their equivalents in T5A precisely to facilitate connections.

As you follow the signs you will come to a hub area in the centre of the building. The lifts on the left are used by "those in the know" to get to the transit quickly, most people take the escalator. At this stage you can take either the lift to floor 0 (but it won't make you popular!) or use the escalator to go down one level, which is probably best.

As you come off the escalator you will see a sign for Flight Connections, bear left off the escalator and follow round into the centre of the floor area. You're now on floor 0 and if you look out of the glass you're noticeably on the ground floor. In the photo below Flight Connections is on the right, and if you look carefully behind the lifts you will see the bus gates (see below). Don't go any more than one flight of escalators, the second flight in the middle of the picture take you down to the transits on level -2, there's another middle stage below (level -1) with a final escalator switch. Also in this photo below, to help you get your bearings, the lifts in the top left are the same lift doors in the photo above, with the escalator - not in the photo - on the left side.

Finally you come to the entrance to Flight Connections, which looks like this. Note that it doesn't actually say Flight Connections!

Your boarding pass will first be scanned by BA staff at the entrance, this gets you past Conformance (or rather enables your Ready to Fly record). Immediately afterwards is security, there will not be many passengers there, particularly if you are off your aircraft quickly, so you should be clear within a minute or two. However standard rules apply, so laptops, liquids and complex electrical items (bags of wires) need to be removed from hand baggage. After security you can pass upwards on an escalator or lift to the main T5B departures area - and up a further level to the BA Galleries Club lounge.

If transferring via T5B and your flight departs from T5C: Follow all the instructions above, except after the security check, go downwards to a dedicated platform of the transit area which allows you to take the transit to T5C. Don't be surprised if you see people on the other side of the platform going a different direction, the rail track serves both directions.

Note for those arriving at T5C: you can also use this facility to get to either T5B or T5C flights. There is a Flight Connections in T5C for T5C only but you thereby miss out on lounge access if you are so entitled. If you have more than 50 minutes for your flight and you would rather use the lounge rather than Starbucks, take the transit from T5C to T5B along with everyone else. It is best to board at the end rear of the train as it heads towards T5A. Then get off the transit at T5B, you'll probably be the only person doing it. Head towards the lifts at the end of the platform, they are signposted "B gates / C gates / via lifts", see the last photo in post number 2. Take the lifts to level 0 and then you see the set-up in the photos above for Flight Connections T5B.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm Reason: Adding Prospero's graphics
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Scenario B) Flight Connections: Arriving at T5B, departing T1, T2, T3, or T4

Scenario B) Flight Connections: Arriving at T5B, departing T1, T2, T3, or T4
[Note T2 will be opening after a rebuild very shortly. See also final paragraph if you actually arrive in T5C].

So you are arriving - probably long haul - at T5B and you want to go to another terminal, T1 to T4 inclusive. BA operate flights out T1 and T3, many other oneworld airlines run out of T3, and other oneworld airlines run out of T1 and T4. The most significant of these is AA at T3. So if you are doing (say) India to Chicago, using BA from India, and then AA to the USA, then this guide may well apply to you. Alternatively an all BA routing from JFK to Prague. It is important to check your terminals about a week before travelling, since there are a lot of terminal shifts going on at the moment. Also note that some tickets may be issued with a BA flight number, but it's actually a codeshare on AA metal.

So for BA flights:

T5B-T3

However this transfer process is good for all airlines, including non oneworld carriers.

The bus services run from T5B direct to T1, T2, T3 and T4. It's a request stop service, these buses actually leave from T5A but make an extra stop outside the doors shown below to allow passengers to join T5B mid route. A staff member alerts the bus service that there are travellers that need to be picked up. This is one way only, outwards: you cannot arrive by bus into T5B from T1-T4.

Now some very regular users of T5 have expressed astonishment that this bus service exists: they have used T5B for years and not realised that this facility is on offer and have sailed merrily off to T5A. I can offer a very simple explanation: the bus terminal is hidden behind the lifts, and you're not looking for it, you won't see it! It's quite a small area, unlike T5A.

So - get off your aircraft, follow the signs for Flight Connections, until you come to the central hub (repeat of the photo above).

Again go down one level on the escalator only, this time bear right as indicated by the sign. This is the view after that first escalator ride.

Ignore the further escalators going down to the transit, head towards the lifts on the other side of the floor. If you look carefully the bus signs are behind the lift. This photo is on the other side to the one in the previous post.

Then continue past the lifts and then you come to the bus gates. There will be a Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) staff member who will call the next bus for you, they originate from T5A, but the route takes them past these doors anyway. They won't stop unless summoned, hence the importance of liaising with the HAL staff member when you get to this area.

Note for those arriving at T5C: you can also use this facility to get to other Heathrow terminals, it is arguably a short cut, but since you are probably on the transit heading for T5A you may find it easier to stay to the end anyway. However if you want to give it a go: take the transit from T5C to T5B along with everyone else. It is best to board at the end rear of the train as it heads towards T5A. Then get off the transit at T5B, you'll probably be the only person doing it. Head towards the lifts at the end of the platform, they are signposted "B gates / C gates / via lifts". In this photo you will see the lifts in the top left corner with a purple sign above them. Take the lifts to level 0, and go around the back of the lift shaft area, there are the bus gates. See photos above.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

I guess the above two posts need to balance the thirst for details that some FTers appreciate, versus clarity. Please feel free to critique/give feedback on these posts so that they can assist other passengers.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Fantastic guides. Thank you c-w-s ^ Both threads have now been added to the forum dashboard.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Thank you CWS for your incredible and helpful contributions, this guide is fantastic!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Then continue past the lifts and then you come to the bus gates. There will be a Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) staff member who will call the next bus for you, they originate from T5A, but the route takes them past these doors anyway. They won't stop unless summoned, hence the importance of liaising with the HAL staff member when you get to this area.
Thanks for both of these guides, c-w-s.

There's something that tickles my sense of humour in the fact that HAL has managed to create a request stop for the bus service. It seems very British, somehow.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:17 pm

I've used Heathrow quite a bit, T5 a moderate amount, and I'm still totally confused by it. If I'm airside T5 can I travel freely between A/B/C? Are the restrictions only for arriving passengers who are security threats for some mysterious reason? I'm always deathly afraid I'll go to the wrong satellite terminal and not be allowed to go to the right place without starting over.

The bus for T1,2,3,4 presumably goes to Flight Connections which requires changing buses to get to your final terminal right? Which terminal is Flight Connections actually in? It's clearly not T1 or T5 since I've had to ride quite a while to get to it from either of those but there is a stairwell up to some terminal. Is it T3? Will it be moving during the musical terminals games?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I've used Heathrow quite a bit, T5 a moderate amount, and I'm still totally confused by it. If I'm airside T5 can I travel freely between A/B/C? Are the restrictions only for arriving passengers who are security threats for some mysterious reason? I'm always deathly afraid I'll go to the wrong satellite terminal and not be allowed to go to the right place without starting over.

The bus for T1,2,3,4 presumably goes to Flight Connections which requires changing buses to get to your final terminal right? Which terminal is Flight Connections actually in? It's clearly not T1 or T5 since I've had to ride quite a while to get to it from either of those but there is a stairwell up to some terminal. Is it T3? Will it be moving during the musical terminals games?
You can move freely between A, B and C using the pedestrian tunnel but it's not well signposted. The transit train for departing passengers only goes one way, but the tunnel lets you walk back.

A pictorial guide for this would be useful but most of my non domestic travel is from T3 currently.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I found myself in the tunnel tonight when the lift decided to go to -4 and stay there. Couldn't be bothered with the walk back up the stairs, so took the tunnel from B to A. Annoyingly the moving walkways were all out of service so it became a longer walk than expected, but we still beat the other passengers from our flight to passport control
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I found myself in the tunnel tonight when the lift decided to go to -4 and stay there. Couldn't be bothered with the walk back up the stairs, so took the tunnel from B to A. Annoyingly the moving walkways were all out of service so it became a longer walk than expected, but we still beat the other passengers from our flight to passport control
I don't think the moving walkways are officially live yet. Soon they will be and then it'll be the best option in my mind to get between satellites. Just like in T2 they should have used moving walkways from the beginning.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Thanks for coming up with this question, I'll alter the main post to clarify. The bus goes direct from the bus stand shown to T1,2,3 and 4. No bus changes. So you will immediately see the benefit of this service. There's a Flight Connection centre in each of T1 to T5, plus T5B, and they all run bus services to from each other; except that T5B is outwards only, you can't arrive direct into T5B. All terminals involve a stair, escalator or lift ride from ground level to the main airport floors. In reality the T5B buses all start at T5A, make the request stop at T5B and then continue on to T1-4 as appropriate.

T5 A, B and C are inter-changeable in the way described, using the transit outwards and the tunnel inwards. But to be honest I think that's only for T5 nerds realistically. The airport definitely does not encourage people to go walkabouts and there are big signs urging people not to go to B or C unless their flight is confirmed to be leaving from there.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I recently did a T5B to T5B connection, SIN - LHR - GVA. Unfortunately the SIN flight was about 30 minutes late and my connecting time to GVA had reduced to 55 minutes by the time we got to the gate. I was fearing being conformed at flight connections in T5A, but discovered to my pleasure that the GVA flight was leaving from T5B. I reckon I saved a good 20 minutes off the whole experience of going through flight connections in T5B, as described by CWS above. On top of that flight connections in T5A is usually a zoo at 06:00 am when all the LHs arrive, whereas at T5B it was a haven of tranquility.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at those pictures I'd say that someone who arrived at T5B, knew nothing of the terminal and how it worked but checked the screens and followed the signs would get it right as it appears the signs point you in the right direction.

Those who are more familiar with LHR, but not aware about this bus, are more likely to get it wrong as they'll habitually head towards the transit. I'm also sure that at one time the signage wasn't as clear and did used to direct everyone to 5A unless they were connecting to B or C.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
Thanks to c-w-s for another very helpful guide. I don't know how I coped before discovering FT and c-w-s.
Had a tight BOS/OSL connection last week and was relieved to hear before we landed it would be a T5B to T5B connection, otherwise I would have been on auto pilot rushing to the transit to go to T5A. Managed to follow the signs easily enough and the whole process took about 5 mins. Even had time for a bacon sandwich in the lounge.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Excellent guide! ^

Just a point to note about taking the bus from T5B instead of going to T5A – I arrived into T5B needing to transfer the week before last, didn’t know there was such an option and headed over to T5A to catch the bus to T3 for an AA flight. When this bus got to T5B it was fairly full, so not everyone in the queue was able to get on. Cue lots of anxiety and irritation on the part of those awaiting the bus there, a number of whom had very tight connections (I know this as they were on my delayed inbound flight from AMS, which had parked at the B gates).

On that note, this was my first inter-terminal transfer in many, many years (being London-based), and it was actually much easier than I expected – possibly because T3 connections security was deserted.
RJD1983 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.