Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching terminals in LHR for lounge use

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
8pm: T5 Olympic Challenge: Walking from T5 GF to T 5C ( on the A 380 to HKG at 2100) -will time it to see how long it takes on the walkway (might make a detour via T5B Galleries lounge)
The authoritative timings hinge on you being stone cold sober TBS! But the timing to T5B can be related - with adjustment for sobriety - to the times in the Dashboard thread.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
Thanks to all for the advice here.

I think I will give this a try next Sunday.

My plan is

1540 Arrive T3 wth BA from Barcelona
Clear T3 transfer security
Go to the Cathay Pacific Lounge ( will expect it to be busy for the early evening flights)
Have dinner in the CX F lounge space permitting ( was not impressed with the macaroni cheese picture from BA GF) with a few Cathay delights
Around 6pm or so take the flight connections bus to T5
Clear T5 security

Relax in T5GF with a JW Blue.

8pm: T5 Olympic Challenge: Walking from T5 GF to T 5C ( on the A 380 to HKG at 2100) -will time it to see how long it takes on the walkway (might make a detour via T5B Galleries lounge)

Regards

TBS
I would be willing to bet that even if you had been matching Jamier45 drink for drink you could make GF to T5C in 2hrs 30
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks.
I will not be that drunk ( will have one or a couple of drinks in T5 ( the T5 champagne I can take or leave it -one or two is ok but it does not compare with the LGPS in the CCR or BA F) but I do like the Cathay Delights in the CX lounges but will save myself for the CW drinks enroute with dinner.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Well here I am inT5 GF after arriving from BCN on BA 475 and having a nice dinner in the CX F lounge

Highlights include

After landing slightly late due to circling waiting 20mins for a stand
Then waiting 5mins for the guidance system to be turned on
Then another 10mins for someone to drive the jetty to the plane (by this time it was around 425pm with some people due to leave T3 just after 5) and we were at gate 31.

However

No one in front of us at Fast track T3 flight connections (standard queues were quiet too)

No problems at CX T3 F ( the lounge receptionist recognised me from yesterday am)

CX F was busy ( more space in CX J )but found a lot of seats and quietened down after 515pm when the CX250 at 1755 was called.

Had dinner in the dining room (chicken skewers, grilled seabass as I'm having beef on the BA 27 and tapioca pudding). The men seems have had fewer options but still good and good service

Went to the T5 busses via the access way from gates 23-42. As you pass the security checkpoints to go to the busses there are 2 closed doors with staff member opening it,

A note saying bus transfers would take longer today but only had to wait one minute for the bus and had the bus to myself.
T5 security at Flight connections was quiet but the fast track lane was closed,

Shift change occurred whilst waiting for the bags to come through the scanner ( seemed like ages but more like a couple of minutes)

And

No JW blue in the GF (empty bottle)

Just about to start heading to C66 for HK and will try to post my times with my mobile phone once on board apologies in advance for bad spelling)

Regards

TBS.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

jw b had been replaced just befoe leaving

from the gf horses

5m 29s to t5b lifts did not go up

10m 11s to the queue at c65

the people in the lift at t5a were just getting off the train as I passed them at t5c

regards

tbs
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
OK - a little variation on this theme:

Connecting from Africa to Brazil, I'll arrive LHR T5 stupid-early on a Saturday morning later this month, and fly out again (also from T5) at about 9pm. It's a long connection - and I'm all but decided to head into town for the day. [If the weather is horrible, I might not bother - but would need to be quite nasty for me spend all 16+ hours in lounges.]

Anyway: at the hour I'll arrive, it's anyway too early for much in the city, so I'm planning in any case to freshen up at the CX Lounge in T3 (open from 5:30am, right?), and then head into town from there. From posts up-thread, I see that reaching the CX Lounge (via Bus) is relatively straightforward. My question, though: after having visited the lounge, is it possible to then enter the UK at T3? Or would I need to schlep back to T5 and clear immigration there?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by checkerboard

Connecting from Africa to Brazil, I'll arrive LHR T5 stupid-early on a Saturday morning later this month, and fly out again (also from T5) at about 9pm. It's a long connection - and I'm all but decided to head into town for the day. [If the weather is horrible, I might not bother - but would need to be quite nasty for me spend all 16+ hours in lounges.]

Anyway: at the hour I'll arrive, it's anyway too early for much in the city, so I'm planning in any case to freshen up at the CX Lounge in T3 (open from 5:30am, right?), and then head into town from there. From posts up-thread, I see that reaching the CX Lounge (via Bus) is relatively straightforward. My question, though: after having visited the lounge, is it possible to then enter the UK at T3? Or would I need to schlep back to T5 and clear immigration there?
I've been refused this very thing. I was sent packing to T5.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:54 am

Would it work arriving from an international BA flight into T3 and connecting on to a T5 domestic?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
My question, though: after having visited the lounge, is it possible to then enter the UK at T3? Or would I need to schlep back to T5 and clear immigration there?
Yes you can exit to arrivals/immigration and to landside from the departures area in T3, Follow the signs from either the main shopping area end near the Ted Barker and Kurt Geiger stores, or just past the AA lounge towards gates 23-42.

Originally Posted by flyuk
Interesting to hear this.

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Would it work arriving from an international BA flight into T3 and connecting on to a T5 domestic?
Do you mean enter the depatures area (and lounges) in T3 when you don't have a flight departing from that terminal? It may be possible base on the reports in this thread although flyuk's experience shows this isn't a given. Once in T3 you can follow the same route as above as you can split off to flight connections for buses to T2/3/4. See the post in the T5 connecting guide covering the new T3 FCC.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by flyuk
What exactly were you refused? Access through T3 security? Access to a specific T3 lounge? Egress through the border at T3?

(I apologize if I’m the only one who wasn’t clear on the meaning of your comment.)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
My bad, I misread the original comment. I thought checkerboard was hoping to re-enter T5 from town then get the bus to T3 airside.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I have 2 upcoming T5 transfers, each a bit more than 4 hours. 2 adults and 2 kids (10 and 6).

No OW status and we're flying WTP, so I assume no priority security and the only 'free' lounge access we have is via credit cards, which I believe to be the plaza premium and aspire lounges in T5 and the Admirals Club in T3.

It seems we would realistically have about 90-120 minutes in the Admirals Club, after allowing for 45 minutes for the T5 - T3 transfer and another 75-90 minutes to get back?

I'm trying to weigh that against just staying put in T5. We've been to the Aspire lounge and were frankly underwhelmed with a wait to get in and then very limited seating once inside. Haven't been to the Plaza Premium lounge though...

Last edited by work2fly; Dec 26, 2018 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you can get into Plaza Premium T5 then there is absolutely no point in going to T3, let alone the AA Club. Quality wise it is between BA's Galleries Club and First lounges, and is usually not at all busy. Look no further. Well, apart from the guide to the lounge here: You comments on Aspire are not at all unusual, incidentally, but Plaza is an entirely different kind of club altogether.

T5 New Plaza Premium Airside Lounge
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Thank you, c-w-s.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Sorry to reignite an old thread, I didn't want to start a new one when there was such a good one already in existence.

If I have understood the contents of this thread correctly it seems that it is either impossible or so difficult that it isn't worth the effort however I just wanted to check:

- Mrs Wilsnunn and I both have flights on the same evening but she is flying from T3 and I am flying from T5
- She doesn't have lounge access whilst I do as a BAEC Silver

Is it possible for me to go to T3 to have a nice meal with her before our flights (either in a lounge or not!)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.