Search

Refund challenges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Refund challenges

Booked a BA ticket (D class). Due to some schedule changes, I needed to change the routing. The fare cost $4000 after using the CHASEBA10 promo code. Spoke to BA about changing it and the numbers they quoted me were quite a bit higher than what I saw online.

I asked BA what the refund would be and they said it would be $3950 (short a 25 fee and some change). I accepted this and they canceled the fare. Got an email saying the refund would be $3950.

Refund hit my card, but it is actually $3950 - 10%. Which they claim is due to the promo code. No where did BA communicate this on the phone, on my cancelation or anywhere. Has anyone experienced this? What did you do? trying to talk to them and failing that, will initiate a chargeback and submit the refund email from BA that cites a different price than they refunded.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update- I wrote to BA Customer Service. Haven't heard back yet.

Have my new flights coming up soon. Planning on completing them, and if I don't hear back after that, will dispute the charge with Amex.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Have you tried just phoning to discuss? If the situation is exactly as you describe then it sounds like a simple error that could be quickly resolved.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Have you tried just phoning to discuss? If the situation is exactly as you describe then it sounds like a simple error that could be quickly resolved.
Yes. The phone people claim the refund amount quoted and in the email is before the 10% reduction. Talked to 2 agents. One was nice and said there was nothing she could do; contact customer service. The other one was pretty condescending and acted like I was supposed to know that the CHASEBA10 discount would reduce my refund and do mental math

As far as I can tell, it's simple. Agent said $3950, I said ok. Got an email saying $3950. Received a refund that was less.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
How much did you originally pay? What was the schedule change?

I’m assuming it was minor or they would offer you a change for free.

And in honesty, I can’t see them budging to refund you more than you paid originally.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Nov 29, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
How much did you originally pay? What was the schedule change?

I’m assuming it was minor or they would offer you a change for free.

And in honesty, I can’t see them budging to refund you more than you paid originally.
There was no schedule change by the airline. I had a change to my plans that required me to change the flight. BA couldn't get the new dates priced reasonably over the phone for some reason (it was thousands more than online), so after discussing the refund amount, I canceled it on the phone and booked another flight online. Apologies if this wasn't clear.
  • Original fare was ~ $4460 with no discounts.
  • I paid $4000 (used the CHASEBA10 to get it down to $4000)
  • When I spoke to BA, they said the refund would be $3950. Email confirmation of cancelation and refund said $3950.
  • BA refunded me ~$3500
I'm not expecting to get back more than I paid. The refund they quoted on the phone and in email is 50 USD less than what I paid. I want this amount.
bisonrav likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Nov 29, 2023 at 11:05 am Reason: added detail
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
What were the fare rules on refunds for the ticket you purchased and subsequently refunded?

You didn’t happen to use both the chase discount and the AARP discount?
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Antarius
There was no schedule change by the airline. I had a change to my plans that required me to change the flight. BA couldn't get the new dates priced reasonably over the phone for some reason (it was thousands more than online), so after discussing the refund amount, I canceled it on the phone and booked another flight online. Apologies if this wasn't clear.
  • Original fare was ~ $4460 with no discounts.
  • I paid $4000 (used the CHASEBA10 to get it down to $4000)
  • When I spoke to BA, they said the refund would be $3950. Email confirmation of cancelation and refund said $3950.
  • BA refunded me ~$3500
I'm not expecting to get back more than I paid. The refund they quoted on the phone and in email is 50 USD less than what I paid. I want this amount.
Ok, and thanks for the further info makes it much clearer and in which case I would work out from the original email receipt the amount due, and send it in. If not resolved after 8 weeks or if you get a final decision letter, go to CEDR. It sounds like they’ve deducted the discount twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.