Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching terminals in LHR for lounge use

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Well yes there aren’t any domestic departures in T3 and no biometrics equipment - but since you aren’t departing from T3 I don’t see it matters.
Logically, you’re absolutely right. But because you need to be registered as entering the specific terminal even if not departing from there, and the T3 systems aren’t capable of recognising domestic passengers, this makes it impossible. As I said, I could be wrong, but that’s always been my understanding.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
Logically, you’re absolutely right. But because you need to be registered as entering the specific terminal even if not departing from there, and the T3 systems aren’t capable of recognising domestic passengers, this makes it impossible. As I said, I could be wrong, but that’s always been my understanding.
i am not really convinced it should matter tbh, you are just registering names from a scanned bp.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've got a T3 arrival in a couple of weeks, connecting to a JER flight from T5 about 5 hours later (thanks to a number of cancellations). Is there any way I can clear connections at T3 and stay there for a few hours before heading over to T5, or would the only option be to go to T5 and try to go back to T3 (far outside my patience threshold and risk appetite!)?

I wouldn't mind going landside at T3 and then going airside afresh (since I'd probably connect landside even if I was heading straight to T5).

My instinct is that I probably have to go to T5 (especially since I'm connecting to a CTA flight) but thought I'd check anyway...
Old May 12, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Confus
t3 does not need your biometric

You get your photo taken when you enter t5 as it sees you as domestic

T3 would just treat you as it would any other passenger
Old May 12, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
I've got a T3 arrival in a couple of weeks, connecting to a JER flight from T5 about 5 hours later (thanks to a number of cancellations). Is there any way I can clear connections at T3 and stay there for a few hours before heading over to T5, or would the only option be to go to T5 and try to go back to T3 (far outside my patience threshold and risk appetite!)?

I wouldn't mind going landside at T3 and then going airside afresh (since I'd probably connect landside even if I was heading straight to T5).

My instinct is that I probably have to go to T5 (especially since I'm connecting to a CTA flight) but thought I'd check anyway...
This is not physically possible, IMO. When you clear security for connections, you take an escalator down for the buses to other terminals.
Old May 12, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by destone
This is not physically possible, IMO. When you clear security for connections, you take an escalator down for the buses to other terminals.
I am not sure this is the right way around. If arriving in to T3, and connecting on to T5, you head for the airside buses but there is no security to go through at T3, When you get to T5 you go through security there.

Originally Posted by Never Stansted

When you arrive at T3 you can go through connections there to get in to the airside departures area. obviously you need to know how to get out of T3 and then back to the airside buses to get to T5, and leave in plenty of time to do this.

If you went landside when you arrive at T3, then it is game over, you cannot go back in to T3 using a T5 bp when coming from landside so you would have to go to T5.
Never Stansted likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xplays
Hello, now that t3 lounges are reopened, anyone have experience if the transfer still works the same way as prior to COVID? Going to have a long layover arriving and departing terminal 5 international, would love to see Cathay first lounge even if it involves a couple hours of transfers. (I know lots of people think it’s not worth the time, but this is probably my only year as one world emerald, probably my only chance to ever check it out.. and who knows with how Cathay is doing if they will ever return to their precovid state). Thank you!
So my connection just changed - will now arrive in t5 depart t4 on qatar. Can I still go from t5 to t3 for the lounges then back to t4? I have 5 hours, and I hear the Qatar lounge is nice, so assuming Qatar lounge opens up now is it not worth the hassle and time? Would I basically burn 2 hours in the 2 terminal connections? Part of me just wants to check out the f (section of) lounges, since I won't probably ever get a chance again. Thanks again for all the help here!
Aldoman likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
If I am flying out of T5 on a non transit flight i.e. I'm starting from LHR. Can I go through security at T5 say 12 hours before flight, then connect to T3 by airside transfer, use T3 lounges and then use airside connection back to T5?

I appreciate this may be more hassle than its worth but I am primarily interested on whether it is allowed. There are multiple threads on this on Flyertalk and some people say it is definitely possible, while some say it is definitely not possible.

Can anyone speak definitively from personal experience? Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma368
If I am flying out of T5 on a non transit flight i.e. I'm starting from LHR. Can I go through security at T5 say 12 hours before flight, then connect to T3 by airside transfer, use T3 lounges and then use airside connection back to T5?
Technically possible. To get into the arrivals stream in T5, you would need to take the transit train to T5C, stay on the train when it tells you to get off, and take it back to T5A, where you can get the bus to T3.

On your return to T5, once you've arrived back in the terminal, you would need to visit a desk in Flight Connections to have your boarding pass unloaded from the system and reloaded again, as it won't work on the automatic gates (as the system will think you are already in departures in T5).
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

I appreciate this may be more hassle than its worth but I am primarily interested on whether it is allowed. There are multiple threads on this on Flyertalk and some people say it is definitely possible, while some say it is definitely not possible.

Can anyone speak definitively from personal experience? Thanks!
there have been mixed reports recently regarding entry to t3 if you do nit have a t3 boarding pass. Some posters have been successful, some not. It could be that when security in t3 is backed up they are being more strict about who gets in. So success is currently unpredictable.
Enigma368 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
there have been mixed reports recently regarding entry to t3 if you do nit have a t3 boarding pass. Some posters have been successful, some not. It could be that when security in t3 is backed up they are being more strict about who gets in. So success is currently unpredictable.
Got it thanks! Thanks for the helpful answers. And if, in that worst case situation, they refuse entry at T3 security, do I have to clear border control at T3 and travel landside to T5, or can I just go back to T5 via airside bus?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
To get into the arrivals stream in T5, you would need to take the transit train to T5C, stay on the train when it tells you to get off,
Side question, do they not make everyone get off the train when it gets to T5C before closing the doors on one side, and opening on the other side to allow arriving passengers? I thought I remembered seeing someone checking that the train was def empty before the switch.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:28 pm

They need to make sure 'unclean' arrivals to not mix with clean departures at A so do check the train is empty there.

There is no need to worry about clean departures mixing with unclean arrivals so no check at C, but once in the unclean arrival stream you will be considered unclean and need to reclear security to get back into departures.

a to b to c to b to a is fine, (clean to unclean)

C to b to a to b to c is a problem (unclean to clean)
Enigma368 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Got it thanks! Thanks for the helpful answers. And if, in that worst case situation, they refuse entry at T3 security, do I have to clear border control at T3 and travel landside to T5, or can I just go back to T5 via airside bus?
You won’t be refused entry to T3 - plenty of legitimately connecting passengers may not have a boarding pass and would need to pick it up at a desk after Flight Connections security. You can always say you are using a lounge there if questioned.

You can just get the bus back to T5 if you aren’t let in (not that that will happen).
Enigma368 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:32 pm

Side question, do they not make everyone get off the train when it gets to T5C before closing the doors on one side, and opening on the other side to allow arriving passengers? I thought I remembered seeing someone checking that the train was def empty before the switch.
no they don’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.