FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA delays at KEF on Friday? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1920603-ba-delays-kef-friday.html)

Simon Schus Jul 18, 2018 1:23 pm

BA delays at KEF on Friday?

Hi all,

I'm going to be on BA801 on this Friday 20th July 2018 from KEF to LHR. However, it is already coming up as "Delayed".

I checked the earlier inbound flight BA800 from LHR to KEF and that is coming up as delayed.

Any ideas if this is likely? Perhaps an equipment change? Strike? Expected weather? Technical issues making this a data visualization issue rather than reflecting a true delay?

I asked BA and they had no information to give me on the reasons, the likelihood of a delay, and how much effort I need to work on a contingency plan right now. Two days away so enough time..

Can I help you Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm

At the moment our check in system is down and the system is just picking up delays on the aircraft scheduled to operate your flight, I would ignore any delays showing as you flight is two days away.

madfish Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm

It is probably an automatic update based on the airplane scheduled to do the flight. Some disruption today is likely to be the cause of this. I’d expect the delay to disappear as things sort themselves out overbtonight and tomorrow.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

This is a well known feature of BA.com, I'm surprised the contact centre could not articulate the cause to you, it certainly comes up in FT often enough.

The Status area plots a direct path from the aircraft assigned from the time of the query through to the estimated time of arrival of the flight i question. So if there is a delay now - and there is a chance your aircraft was diverted to Luton today - to crew or aircraft then it is faithfully tracked down to your flight and potentially beyond, up to about 4 days. What will happen is the schedulers will at some point intervene and swap aircraft / crew to reduce or eliminate the delay. In a short haul context looking at Status more than 12 hours ahead of departure is unlikely to be useful. If it was SYD-SIN then for obvious reasons it may be more valid. Just check again on Saturday morning.

Simon Schus Jul 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Thank you C-W-S, madfish and CIHY :) These are really helpful responses. This allays my worries. I'm self-connecting in Iceland on DL -> BA so hopefully it'll go well!

Confus Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus (Post 29988371)
Thank you C-W-S, madfish and CIHY :) These are really helpful responses. This allays my worries. I'm self-connecting in Iceland on DL -> BA so hopefully it'll go well!

I actually hadn’t thought of doing that! If you don’t mind my asking, how good a deal did you get going that way? Seems as if it could be a way of using RFS pricing to get a decent chunk of the way.

Simon Schus Jul 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Confus (Post 29988502)

I actually hadn’t thought of doing that! If you don’t mind my asking, how good a deal did you get going that way? Seems as if it could be a way of using RFS pricing to get a decent chunk of the way.

I got a Delta flight for $150 one way with a bag, full Economy drinks and meal service. I’ll use the Delta lounge at JFK using the AMEX Platinum Card. Seemed worthwhile especially as booked a few weeks in advance and was much cheaper than direct. KEF has a lounge that can access when in Club Europe and I think OneWorld Sapphire upwards. The timing isn’t amazing but it’ll suffice for the price! (The Avios was a little high for Club Europe though)

Simon Schus Jul 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Flying back with BA RFS LHR-DUB and an Avios ticket DUB-IAD.