Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR ATC tower evacuation & Altea down [18 July 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR ATC tower evacuation & Altea down [18 July 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My flight from LCY was delayed by over 2 hours last night, and the app had been showing a long delay all day (for at least 10 hours). The pilot blamed ATC and then added quietly, in the verbal equivalent of small print, "... and a few technical issues". It does seem that BA crew have been told to blame ATC for any delays, regardless of the real reason.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MadnessOfCrowds
Not BA's fault but they should be obliged to tell people their rights - lots of families with kids slept in airport.
More than compensation this is the problem where BA and others fall down. BA has a duty of care to ensure that nobody is sleeping in the airport unless they want to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Any bugs in a system update should have been found in proper testing on Pre-Productive parallel system, sounds like this was inadequate or non-existent. Also to have no roll-back parallel run scenario when you update systems is very poor planing too.
I was't aware that this issue was caused by a change. Amadeus are pointing to a "Network issue" - https://amadeus.com/en/insights/blog...tems-recovered
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by capin
I was't aware that this issue was caused by a change. Amadeus are pointing to a "Network issue" - https://amadeus.com/en/insights/blog...tems-recovered
Except the article in the link is dated 27 September 2017
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Misco60
My flight from LCY was delayed by over 2 hours last night, and the app had been showing a long delay all day (for at least 10 hours). The pilot blamed ATC and then added quietly, in the verbal equivalent of small print, "... and a few technical issues". It does seem that BA crew have been told to blame ATC for any delays, regardless of the real reason.
I can't remember where I commented on this yesterday, but I had the same thing. Pilot saying we were delayed due to the tower evacuation even thought we were already 2 hours late when that happened.

I was in the middle of trying to get moved to the earlier flight when it happened. The lady at the ticket desk actually phoned up to find out why my flight was delayed, um'ed and eh'ed a few times, wrote down "ATC" on her pad and circled it, then said "That'll affect everyone... This'll be fun!". I don't imagine her day got any easier.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by MadnessOfCrowds
Not BA's fault but they should be obliged to tell people their rights .
They are.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:26 am

So timings may be important here.

Does anyone know the timeline of the fire alarm and then the system issue? I've seen posts that the system failed after the fire alarm and BA only put an answer to a question in their announcement after 18:00 but what was the time line for the events which may help if BA try to blame system faults as extraordinary etc.

Does anyone have times when each started and finished ?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Except the article in the link is dated 27 September 2017
I guess they'll just have to scribble out the date and leave the article the same :-)

I was seconded to Amadeus in Erding from BA in 2001 when we were moving the TPF and associated mainframe systems over there. Back then, Amadeus appeared to be a well run professional organization - I really enjoyed it over there. Interesting article here, especially the timing - https://www.thecompanydime.com/mainframe/
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
The pilot of our 2 hour delayed, domestic flight is still trying to get away with blaming yesterday's ATC problems for our delay, whilst also simultaneously claiming that there's a lack of staff to get us moving from the bus gate. Something doesn't compute and no-one is having any of it.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
And now the old ATC 30 minute slot restriction leading to the cabin crew going out of hours. #shouldhavegotthetrain
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by T8191
Do I hear the howling of the Compensation Wolf-Pack?
I think you're hearing enquiries from passengers who have, yet again, had their journey severely disrupted by shonky IT for which BA have ultimate responsibility.

Stuff happens
Stuff like this happens too often at BA, and keeps on happening too.
lukew, SW7London, Kgmm77 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do I hear the howling of the Compensation Wolf-Pack?

Stuff happens. At least, it does in the imperfect world I have to live in.
Yes but I get the feeling this forum has become much more focussed on consumer rights in recent years. That's bound to attract more posts from those who want to be compensated.
PUCCI GALORE, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes but I get the feeling this forum has become much more focussed on consumer rights in recent years. That's bound to attract more posts from those who want to be compensated.
Do we even want to begin imagining how BA would behave in a world without substantial consumer rights legislation?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by TPloser
So timings may be important here.

Does anyone know the timeline of the fire alarm and then the system issue? I've seen posts that the system failed after the fire alarm and BA only put an answer to a question in their announcement after 18:00 but what was the time line for the events which may help if BA try to blame system faults as extraordinary etc.

Does anyone have times when each started and finished ?
I don't have times for the fire alarm but believe the "system issue" was from 18JUL2018 at 17:12 GMT to 18JUL2018 at 18:59 GMT
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xtine74
I don't have times for the fire alarm but believe the "system issue" was from 18JUL2018 at 17:12 GMT to 18JUL2018 at 18:59 GMT
From the posts above I think we can say the ATC alarm immediate impact was something like 14:50 to 15:40 GMT, however clearly aircraft were in lengthy slots thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.