Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Assignment in Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

BA Seat Assignment in Club World

I've read threads about assignments and know it costs $ if I'm not a BA FF or wait until 24 hours before flight. I'm flying with my wife from SFO to London on Airbus A380-800 (388). We saved miles for a LONG time and booked Club World. It's tough to swing $260 extra so wondering: if we wait until day before flight what are the odds we can get seats together?

If we get middle seats in the 2x4x2 config, how challenging is it to climb over the other seats?

Also what's the best place to see comparison CW seat photos? I looked around on flyertalk but haven't found complete views of all seats yet. Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You can use avios to pay for the seats shoukd you wish to though apparently the option to do so only appears at the end of the selection process at the actual payment screen.

I won’t get into the debate over if this is best use if avios though.

as to middle seats - usually no problem with them being available when OLCI opens.
flyer200 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I do have symapthy with your situation but have to ask the question "if you have been saving for, and presumbly looking forward to, this trip for so long maybe it is worth get the best possible experience by stumping up the fees?"
wdcosta117 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Another option would be to book a partner airline (e.g. AA) - they don't charge for seat reservation, and don't have the middle seat problem.

I don't find the "climbing over" a big problem, but can see how for some people it could turn into one (elderly, reduced mobility etc).
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you are not too worried about where specifically you sit, it is very likely that you will be able to be together even without preassigning.

just keep an eye on the cabin by doing as though you wanted to reserve seats and it will show you how many pairs remain so in the very unlikely case things look worrying you can decide to buy. If not just check in online at t-24 and you’ll be fine and can use the money you save to do something really nice once you’ve arrived!
Ldnn1 and flyinright like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Remember to check in online ASAP but if the available seats are not ideal then don’t print your BP etc. You can then go back over the next hours and change as other seats free up.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by flyinright
how challenging is it to climb over the other seats?

It isnt! (unless you have mobility issues)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Hi

Like you - we save the avios for a long time. I would leave it till T-24 as the A380 has a lot of CW seats so you'll most likely get 2 seats together. When we were flying back from JFK on a 747 - at T-24 I checked in and took seats 64JK on the upper deck. I only found out much later that they are the most sought after seats on the 747. I'd save the cash/avios for something better - I certainly wouldn't spend money on reserving a seat - my Aberdonian other half wouldn't let me!

Enjoy the CW flight!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FEMW
When we were flying back from JFK on a 747 - at T-24 I checked in and took seats 64JK on the upper deck.
I'd wager that this is about as close to a "once in a blue moon" occurrence as you'll get on BA (short of a triple op-up from Y to F), especially for a route like JFK.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
Sure it's easy but it is something you want to do in a premium cabin?

I'm not so sure.

Personally I would avoid as it infuriates me
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stewaran
Long legs certainly help and short legs definitely make it a little trickier.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage

Long legs certainly help and short legs definitely make it a little trickier.
short legs or alchohol
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Wink

Originally Posted by flyer200
short legs or alchohol
Fortunately, you can get the alcohol delivered to your seat if you need more.

Last edited by jerub; Jul 18, 2018 at 8:28 am Reason: missing noun
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by flyer200
Sure it's easy but it is something you want to do in a premium cabin?
I'm not so sure.
Personally I would avoid as it infuriates me
All being equal i would rather not, but OP just asked how difficult it is.

Personally It bothers me so little that i would take a window every time in CW rather than an aisle seat.

IME the windows are the first seats to go on the seatmap, so most BA flyers seem feel the same!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My wife and I did not pay for seat assignment because as paid J passengers we were affronted at having to pay the additional fee. It's always going to depend on how many passengers on your flight are elites, but for ours at T-24 exactly I was online and we managed a window+aisle, on the 787 it was aisle+middle.

$260 saved likely pays for one night in your hotel at your destination, so I vote to be cheap!
flyinright likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.