Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher - Avios.com or BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher - Avios.com or BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Slightly off topic, but avios.com related. It's been a while since I've last booked with them and can't remember what the transactions post as. Long story short I'm trying to decide which credit card I should put the flights on. Do they post on the credit card statement as avios or as BA?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Slightly off topic, but avios.com related. It's been a while since I've last booked with them and can't remember what the transactions post as. Long story short I'm trying to decide which credit card I should put the flights on. Do they post on the credit card statement as avios or as BA?
I used a voucher in June and it posted as Avios Group Crawley
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by pauldb
I used a voucher in June and it posted as Avios Group Crawley
thanks. Follow-up question - does anybody know if this is treated as airljne spend for the purpose of getting an uber voucher from HSBC?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:47 am

thanks. Follow-up question - does anybody know if this is treated as airljne spend for the purpose of getting an uber voucher from HSBC?
It wasn't for me, and I got told that it doesn't apply for "travel agents".

BA Holidays work for the voucher btw - and you can generate 10 vouchers from a Ł5,000 holiday booking!
wmaciej likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by just_starting
It wasn't for me, and I got told that it doesn't apply for "travel agents".
Thanks for the data point. I guess it would depend on whether the TA or airline charges the card in the end - I've had the airlines charging my card for TA bookings at least a couple times - both with Propeller and expedia.

Originally Posted by just_starting
BA Holidays work for the voucher btw - and you can generate 10 vouchers from a Ł5,000 holiday booking!
Great news, I should bear it mind for my next BA holidays booking
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
just had a quick question.. can i book using the voucher for someone else?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by salehir
just had a quick question.. can i book using the voucher for someone else?
yes
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:14 am

Thanks for the data point. I guess it would depend on whether the TA or airline charges the card in the end - I've had the airlines charging my card for TA bookings at least a couple times - both with Propeller and expedia.

Great news, I should bear it mind for my next BA holidays booking
However, they still expire on 1 November 2018. I still have quite a few left... Do you think it's a gamble to wait for a bit longer and hope the new batch will be valid until 2019?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
Additional data point.

Originally Posted by altyrocket
Hi,

My recent experience of booking flights using the Lloyds voucher.

First off I rang Avios to determine the process for the above. Avios agent advised they could not make the booking as they were closing, told to ring BAEC to book. Rang BAEC, agent advised that they would make the booking, no problem, but needed the voucher number. Checked my Avios account, voucher did not seem to have a number attached to it.

Next recalled Avios to seek to voucher number. Advised not to use BAEC to make booking as they cannot apply voucher. Also queried about possibly opening an Avios HHA, told it was not possible to open one, there was apparently a work around if you needed a "ghost" Avios HHA. At his point I was not ready to make the booking (2 x Passengers in J).

When I had all my details ready I moved half the required Avios from each of our individual BAEC accounts to our individual Avios accounts.(We have a BAEC HHA.) Note that the total avios was the total of two seats in PE and two seats in J. Rang Avios, got a great agent who was on the ball straight away. She understood that there was a workaround for the Avios HHA issue, and quickly made the booking, applying the voucher as she processed the booking. It was painless, she even got us on a earlier connection out of LHR on the return journey.
Just a followup to my original post (#6).

When I made my booking I mentioned to the Avios agent that as I expected another upgrade voucher to land in my account in the next few weeks, could I call and have that new voucher applied to the booking. Agent advised "yes no problem", and "Avos would be re-credited to your account". New voucher landed last week, so I rang Avios. Agent understood what I was requesting, but firstly advised "only one voucher per booking", then advised "we can take two vouchers, but only at the time of booking, not retrospectively". Agent said she world check with her manager. Went offline, returned to advise that neither her or her manager could sanction the use of the second voucher, but advised request would be passed to Customer Relations "who will likely sort it." I was told to call back in three days if I did not received an email. After two days received an email regarding the booking, all details were the same apart from the Avios calculation which had a lower overall total. Next day there was a credit to my Avios account for the difference between a PE award and a J award. Lastly, the Avios credit went into my Avios account although the booking was made from two individual accounts. I did not ask for the credit to be split TBH, so whether that could be done ?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Scenario is :

Myself and Ms dewsburyborn have a BA HHA + we each have an individual Avios account.

I will soon seek to make a US return redemption using the upgrade voucher and requiring a total of 130,000 avios.

To mitigate taxes, I would prefer to make 2 x return redemptions rather than 2 x combined single redemptions.

Do we each need to have 65,000 avios ? presently all the avios are in BAEC anticipating the closure of Avios - but are not equally split .. ie I have 110,000 + and Ms db has circa 30,000.

Any thoughts, please ? when booking, will they just use our overall combined total or insist on us each having 65,000 ?

(Of course, without the upgrade voucher there is no issue as the 130,000 would just come out of the BA HHA and from our own balances proportionately)
Old May 12, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Is it possible to use this voucher for a redemption where the avios element is reduced and the cash element increased? like a regular BA redemption?
Old May 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Is it possible to use this voucher for a redemption where the avios element is reduced and the cash element increased? like a regular BA redemption?
interesting question. i still have access to Avios.com so i tried it out. i did *not* get the option to reduce the number of avios used by increasing the payment.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
It was not an option offered to me when I called in for our last redemption. I seem to recall the agent explicitly telling me that there is no way to reduce the Avios amount with cash like on ba.com.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mzb00

It was not an option offered to me when I called in for our last redemption. I seem to recall the agent explicitly telling me that there is no way to reduce the Avios amount with cash like on ba.com.
I was told by the Avios agent that they would be able to retroactively reduce the amount of Avios for a booking originally made through Avios, but they cannot access bookings made through BA.

Is this consistent with others have heard?

Last edited by mec72; May 15, 2019 at 10:14 am Reason: fixing typo
Old May 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

Is it still 03444 933349 to call to do this? I realised that I have a voucher expiring at the end of the month that I need to use.

My Avios account is closed now, but I assume there's a workaround they can use.

Edit - and it's valid for upgrading a return flight for one person? I don't need to use two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.