Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Taking parents on their first First...some questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking parents on their first First...some questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I would highly recommend against 4EF and 5EF on the 747. While these seats are more together than others, they are significantly inferior seats from a comfort, privacy and storage point of view. In the 747 if traveling along, I am for 2AK and if not 3AK. If together, 1AK. If solo and rows 2 and 3 are not available, I'd take 1A or 1K before 4AK or 5AK. Any seat above 4EF and 5EF though 5EF > 4EF.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:09 am

Wonder why you’d redeem for yourself and your mom, while buying a revenue ticket for your dad? Wouldn’t you earn more Avios tier bonus as a Gold than your lowly Blue dad?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (Oh yeah!)
Wasn't there mention of an Amex 2-4-1, therefore the OP would need to have used the voucher for their ticket.
UTFB likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Very nice to do that for your parents. I subscribe to the view they should be told in advance. While I travel in jeans and t shirt in all cabins, older generations sometimes like to dress up for premium cabins.

As an aside the first time I took my other half in First, she just assumed it was CW - just a refusrbished cabin. That goes to show that for people who are used to CW the First cabin does not look and feel too different
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by AleTrail
Easy to exit landside in T5 and then head over to the First wing, maybe tell them they have to go through a special security checkpoint and ta-da that large"First" sign awaits.<br />Agree with MMXbreaks go up TopOfTheRock at night, you'll get the iconic view of the ESB at night.
<br /><br />Why Exit Landside, with a Long Walk..Just to have to go through The Security Farce Again.<br /><br />Better to stay air-side Pass through Domestic Arrival/Connection Conformance into the Domestic Area North...then go up the Escalator along the Balcony past the incoming North and South Security areas. Direct to the Lectern and Concorde Room White Door.
UTFB likes this.

Last edited by UncleDude; Jul 17, 2018 at 8:54 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:54 am

I'll strongly agree with those who suggest letting your parents know in advance. First off, old people (and I am one of them) don't always enjoy surprises. Second, you don't want the possible "we feel terrible that you spent all this money on us" effect [see Seinfeld, Morty, Cadillac] to spoil things. Telling them in advance gives them time to absorb and accept.
UTFB likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I agree give them a couple of days notice so they can fully appreciate the experience and yes berate you for 'wasting' your money so you get that out of the way instead of them doing it in the CCR!

I am not an advocate of doing tricks with passports and boarding passes to try and hide things.
UTFB likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:22 am

I did exactly the same last when I took my parents to Rio de Janeiro in First Class. I just asked if they wanted to come along and I am sure they were expecting to fly economy as they always do.

I struggled with the decision as to whether to spring the surprise in advance or let them find out at some point during the trip. So I did exactly what you have done and posted the question here on our forum. Opinions were mixed as above, but in the end I decided to tell them the night before we were flying. My mother got seriously excited about the flying first class experience, while my stepfather was laidback as he always is.

In the end I think it was the right decision to tell them in advance as part of the experience is the excitement of flying first class and also knowing all the way that they are getting a first class treatment.

Do let the crew know that you are treating your parents and that it is their first time in first class. Pays off quite well in my experience.

I did post a report on the forum about my experinence.
UTFB and wemnael like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As an ‘older parent’ (73 and counting) I shall forward a link to this Thread to my son. He is more than welcome to surprise us. I will not, however, hold my breath as that could be hazardous to my well-being.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the helpful comments everyone...

Originally Posted by origin
Can I just ask, are they mobile okay. I know that parents can range from 40 - 90. There seems to be a need to make airports as vast as possible and some gates are a good 20 minute walk.

I ask as my baec account was caught up in BA need to re register everyone and I had to reset my mobility options.
My mother has some minor issues walking due to a hip replacement but I asked if she wanted assistance as it will be quite a walk to the satellite gates but she assured me she would be fine. I was quite looking forward to a ride on one of the carts actually...

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'll admit I'm someone who doesn't really like surprises. I think that a first First is a big deal and half the fun is in the anticipation. Have you considered you might be depriving your parents of a great deal of excitement if they knew they would be flying F?
Good point - to be honest I will probably come clean a few days before - they know my travel patterns anyway so may already have a good idea and are just not saying!

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
For whatever reason, row 1 in First is reserved for Gold card holders until much closer to the flight time. Even if you have a Silver/Bronze/Blue companion flying on the booking with you, you'll be blocked from selecting the two seats in row 1 (as I was in LHR-CPT booking).

The LHR-JFK route runs all 747 or 777. I think your parents would be well positioned in a middle pair, where they can see one another. Alternatively try and position yourself as all window seats, say 2, 3, 4. On the 747 1A/K are almost like buddy seats, despite what the seat plan shows (if you can't get both, it's private enough but quite close to an unknown).

NYC itself:
- The best viewing platform by faaaar is Rockefeller. Up top there's no glass for a clear view - nothing else offers this - and you can see the Empire State from there. The new Freedom Tower is the worst of them all, I'd avoid it. Empire State is ok, but tighter and less view than Rock.
- If you're looking for a cheeky burger, the dive place behind the curtain at the 5* Parker (nearish to Central Park) is great.
- Grab a last second Broadway (or off-B) show, tickets can be much better priced if you don't care about having the best seats.

Hit all the Concorder Rooms (CCR). Oh, and phone 'You First' the *second* it's t-minus a fortnight to book in Elemis treatments (I've never been able to book one before, given laughable availability).

Enjoy it!
Thanks for the tips - we are actually staying in Brooklyn with my brother who lives out there. We have all been to NY a number of times, I was last there in March, parents have not been for a number of years though so may wish to do some of the more tourist things in Manhattan again. I checked that burger place out, it looks great!

I've also had minimal success with the treatments, even when trying to book early. One of the few recent times I was successful was en-route back from Tokyo but I'd been out til stupid o'clock in "Piss Alley" before an early flight from HND and rather than sleep I got straight onto the LPGC for most of the journey back so arrived in LHR not in the best shape. I'd opted for the massage and nearly ended up being sick...after that I just headed out onto the terrace and drank about 4 litres of sparkling water.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Wonder why you’d redeem for yourself and your mom, while buying a revenue ticket for your dad? Wouldn’t you earn more Avios tier bonus as a Gold than your lowly Blue dad?
Originally Posted by adieacc
Wasn't there mention of an Amex 2-4-1, therefore the OP would need to have used the voucher for their ticket.
Yes it was a 2-4-1 in my name so I had to use that - however my Father is part of my household account so we'll be furnished with circa 19k avios at least...

Originally Posted by UncleDude
<br /><br />Why Exit Landside, with a Long Walk..Just to have to go through The Security Farce Again.<br /><br />Better to stay air-side Pass through Domestic Arrival/Connection Conformance into the Domestic Area North...then go up the Escalator along the Balcony past the incoming North and South Security areas. Direct to the Lectern and Concorde Room White Door.
They will wish to go for a cigarette so we'll likely do that, can't see it being too much of a hassle based on what other posters have said!
origin likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlisonB84
Goodness - I hope my daughters surprise me on my 60th with a trip in F! (For my 50th they got me a flying lesson - I just need to hint at an upgrade to a bigger bird now!)

Hope your parents have a fantastic trip!
Thanks! We were very lucky as I had a 2-4-1 voucher to use and we managed to find a revenue ticket on all the same sectors for a not unreasonable price - which I split with my brother too!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
If you have yourself and your mother already in row 1 on the NCL-LHR you should be able to do a Complete party and get your father sat near you...
Yes I will call them up and see what they can do but as its a completely separate booking (although we do all share the same surname) there could be issues. However I booked the ticket so there should be a record of that somewhere. If it can't be managed then no big deal - sure they can survive for the short flight down.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by UTFB
Yes I will call them up and see what they can do but as its a completely separate booking (although we do all share the same surname) there could be issues. However I booked the ticket so there should be a record of that somewhere. If it can't be managed then no big deal - sure they can survive for the short flight down.
Not sure what issues you think it will call you just call the gold line and give them the booking refs and they can sort it out - remember though that it is a manual process and does not affect the booking in any other way.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
For whatever reason, row 1 in First is reserved for Gold card holders until much closer to the flight time. Even if you have a Silver/Bronze/Blue companion flying on the booking with you, you'll be blocked from selecting the two seats in row 1 (as I was in LHR-CPT booking).

The LHR-JFK route runs all 747 or 777. I think your parents would be well positioned in a middle pair, where they can see one another. Alternatively try and position yourself as all window seats, say 2, 3, 4. On the 747 1A/K are almost like buddy seats, despite what the seat plan shows (if you can't get both, it's private enough but quite close to an unknown).

NYC itself:
- The best viewing platform by faaaar is Rockefeller. Up top there's no glass for a clear view - nothing else offers this - and you can see the Empire State from there. The new Freedom Tower is the worst of them all, I'd avoid it. Empire State is ok, but tighter and less view than Rock.
- If you're looking for a cheeky burger, the dive place behind the curtain at the 5* Parker (nearish to Central Park) is great.
- Grab a last second Broadway (or off-B) show, tickets can be much better priced if you don't care about having the best seats.

Hit all the Concorder Rooms (CCR). Oh, and phone 'You First' the *second* it's t-minus a fortnight to book in Elemis treatments (I've never been able to book one before, given laughable availability).

Enjoy it!
Spa treatments can be booked by phone to You First 28 days before travel not t-minus a fortnight - it does make it quicker if you know what you want to book. Hope you all have a great trip.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:31 am

In terms of not knowing details - I've done this as a back and forth with my partner. You can check in at the counter, but tell the person serving you that it's a surprise and your parents won't know where they're going until they get to the gate. I've found 100% of BA staff excited and happy to play along!

Just make sure they've got ESTAs....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.