Search

BA A380, B787, or B747 in J from LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
BA A380, B787, or B747 in J from LAX?

Hi,

I am about to book a LAX-LHR in J for myself and Mrs. Etxebas and would like some advice on what J product/experience might be better? My initial thought is B747 Upper Deck, but the 787 also looks tempting...

Timing is not an issue so I could make any of the available flights. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
100% 747 UD if you can

787 is still dorm like, and also no side bins / extra space.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:37 am
GLA

Programs: BA VS
A very personal choice.

Mine would be:

787>747UD>380UD>747LD>380LD
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The 747 upper deck is nice for overnight sleep and good service, but I wouldn't do the main deck on the 747. The A380 upper deck is good in all ways - side storage bins at the windows, it's relatively quiet, good air pressure and humidity, good IFE, windows that actually become opaque when you close them.

I just don't rate the 787 as well as many people, even in Club. The windows are particularly annoying: you can't dim all but one, you can't draw a blind half way down to block direct view of the sun while still having a clear view of the landscape below, and the cabin is never actually dark if the sun is shining outside because the windows do not become opaque, only dark (10% transmission or so). The lack of actual opacity also means the cabin on the sun side, and the people there, warm up a lot whether they like it or not. Also, no side bins for storage. Mind you the 787 IFE is good.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
The risk of the 747 is getting an older 52J with poor IFE. UD 380 for me and grab the window and ailse at the back of the first cabin.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
UD 747 for the four-across seating is best, even if it ends up being the poor IFE. Second for me is 787 since you'll be able to (as Gold) avoid a middle seat which gets too stuffy.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
B747 UD with BA would be my first choice, or look at AA options. Most of my TATL flights have been on AA's 77W aircraft (some 772, A330) but I don't think anything they have in J will be the other bottom of the barrel business cabins BA offer.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks for the responses. I think I will go with the 747 UD. It has to be BA metal as it is a 2-4-1 voucher redemption....
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:56 pm

Good choice. Just booked iad/lhr J 747 ud for next may.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
If you can use AA on this route (one world) on their 777W -probably the better J hard product on the route
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I opted for the 747 UD for our flight back to the UK for Christmas as I've never been up on the UD on the 747 before and they are not going to be around for very much longer I fear. It had the earliest departure between the 747, the 787 and the A380 LAX-LHR service, but for once, coming from the West coast I should be on the ground before midday upon arrival, so I get a bit more of the day there.

I'm coming back on the 787, though at the pointy end. Not too early of a start needed to get to LHR and as I need to fly LAX-SAN to get home, the connecting flight isn't too late, unlike the connection if I took the A380 service. When I booked the flights, it was $2K cheaper to take the LHR-LAX-SAN route vs my usual LHR-SAN route. It was also another $2K cheaper to take the outbound flight on the Thursday before Christmas, rather than waiting till the Friday. I'll burn another day of vacation for that amount of savings!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by traveler18
If you can use AA on this route (one world) on their 777W -probably the better J hard product on the route
OP needs to fly BA for his 2-4-1
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I opted for the 747 UD for our flight back to the UK for Christmas as I've never been up on the UD on the 747 before and they are not going to be around for very much longer I fear. It had the earliest departure between the 747, the 787 and the A380 LAX-LHR service, but for once, coming from the West coast I should be on the ground before midday upon arrival, so I get a bit more of the day there.

I'm coming back on the 787, though at the pointy end. Not too early of a start needed to get to LHR and as I need to fly LAX-SAN to get home, the connecting flight isn't too late, unlike the connection if I took the A380 service. When I booked the flights, it was $2K cheaper to take the LHR-LAX-SAN route vs my usual LHR-SAN route. It was also another $2K cheaper to take the outbound flight on the Thursday before Christmas, rather than waiting till the Friday. I'll burn another day of vacation for that amount of savings!
I got a text alert from Expert Flyer this afternoon stating that there had been a change of aircraft. Before and after showed a 744, but there was a note to say that if the aircraft were the same, then the alert had been triggered due to a change in cabin configuration. MMB kept puking, so I looked at the seat map on EF and sure enough, the aircraft had switched from an 86J to a 52J. From what I could see, the same seats on the UD were showing as occupied as per the last time I checked. About an hour later I was able to access my trip on MMB and thankfully, we still had the same seats. I guess I'll just have to make do with the cr@ppy IFE on the flight back to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.