Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No Big Planes Coming Back From DME After the World Cup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

i would have thought that with the world’s press and all the fans heading back to the 4 corners of the earth, BA would have some big planes flying the route from DME - LHR tomorrow.

But just looked and it’s just an A321 followed by 787 then 777 which is pretty standard I think. No wonder there’s no seats for a couple of days.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Normally it's 2 x A321, and 1 x 787/777, so 1 x A321, 1 x 777 and 1 x 787 is an uptick in capacity. Also, BA don't have loads of spare planes lying around, and "creating" a spare aircraft when lots of 787s are grounded for a one off event probably isn't possible.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Is there really a big exodus....fans have been steadily returning to their countries since the end of the group stages when the number of games reduced.

And would BA need lots of planes to cater for a France v Croatia final and media from many other places that have direct flights?
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
And unlike many other special events, my guess is this group of fans is much more price sensitive. Not exactly the ideal group of passengers for BA to go out of the way to cater to.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Oil-man
i would have thought that with the world’s press and all the fans heading back to the 4 corners of the earth, BA would have some big planes flying the route from DME - LHR tomorrow.

But just looked and it’s just an A321 followed by 787 then 777 which is pretty standard I think. No wonder there’s no seats for a couple of days.
peak summer season and the aircraft are already spoken for on other duties and some. BA is short of widebodies and is having to rent in Qatar planes.

So, clearly nothing spare and they re hardly going to leave their regulars on the 767 to Nice behind for one off customers from Moscow.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:31 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sts603
And unlike many other special events, my guess is this group of fans is much more price sensitive. Not exactly the ideal group of passengers for BA to go out of the way to cater to.
The number of England fans at the tournament has only really increased to levels that would require more airplane seats since the group stages.

I can near guarantee that someone who has paid out for tickets for a World Cup quarter-final, semi-final and was presumably prepared to pay out for the final - having to stay in a city where hotel prices can approach eye-watering at the best of times - is very likely to be less price sensitive than the majority of BA’s potential customers.

Originally Posted by DFB_london

So, clearly nothing spare and they re hardly going to leave their regulars on the 767 to Nice behind for one off customers from Moscow.
Much more likely. BA could probably have made more money overall by switching aircraft onto Moscow services, but it looks like here they’ve taken a longer term view.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:01 am

There have been quite a few upgrades- the early morning flight going from 787 to 777-200 or even 300 on a couple of occasions and the other two flights on 777-200 at points

The long haul fleet is stretched so I imagine they've only been able to do this ad-hoc and mainly focused on the England matches
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
The long haul fleet is stretched so I imagine they've only been able to do this ad-hoc and mainly focused on the England matches
And England's last game was in St Petersburg anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Probably no media interest in it, unlike the semi, where they made the most of it and got some positive coverage in the news.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
BA did uplift seats for the semi-final, when England were still playing.

Seeing as we weren't in the final and the vast majority (of the not very many) England fans that were there for the tournament have already left, there wouldn't be much point in doing it again.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
I was out for the Group games and actually went back for the Semi final so have first hand experience. A lot of fans would have booked set flights, the amount of South Americans still in Russia last week despite all their teams being knocked out was huge. The Media likely were out for the duration so already had flights booked.

A lot of fans including myself either booked 1-way flights last week or optimistically booked a return for this week. I actually went via LOT as they were offering a fully flex / refundable for no fee for £400 from Heathrow which I booked Thursday 5th July. If England had of made the finals there would definitely have been big demand for flights back for those who had no bookings, but many fans would also be happy to save a few hundred quid and fly on all kinds of routes that would put FT'ers to shame! BA were never even on my radar for flights this summer due to the cost of flights.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sts603
Exactly the opposite. This is the least price sensitive World Cup I have ever experienced and I have been to several. Hotels were eye wateringly expensive (the last 4 nights in a very average hotel here in Moscow have cost me over £1000 a night) and flights likewise. On Wednesday, BA were selling a return to Moscow in economy for 5k return for this weekend, such that I went via Milan with Air Italy (who are using wet-leased Qatar 320s on their DME routes).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by hartwith

Hotels were eye wateringly expensive (the last 4 nights in a very average hotel here in Moscow have cost me over £1000 a night) and flights likewise.
That surprises me. We managed to find a half decent hotel and booked on the same day last week for 2 nights and paid £150 per room, per night. Was the Hotel Alfa in the old Olympic Village. By no means the most modern hotel but was pretty comparable to a Travelodge or similar.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder if it’s down to when each of you booked? What tends to happen around major major events like this is that hotels get greedy and price gauge a long way out, but closer to the time find that they’ve actually just succeeded in pushing people to outlying hotels, and there are *relatively* good prices available late on.

Obviously depends on the city and surrounding infrastructure though. I remember being in Basel during Euro 2008 for the Netherlands v Russia QF. With something like 250,000 Dutch in town, there were no beds and we just had to keep ourselves occupied until we left town at 0600 the next day!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Sitting in the lounge at DME just now. The check in agent told me that the flight was completely full A321 mid haul. A few North Americans in the lounge just now and a lot of Mexicans checking in when I was at the check in desk.

I regularly go for the BA236 as it tends to be quieter and this morning will be the busiest I will have seen it.

Got my hopes up a little earlier on when thought they had put a 772 on this rotation but that was dashed when it turned out to be a FR24 ‘glitch’. Also caused a little bit of panic as the 772 doesn’t have the row that I am in but that’s by the by now.

I think the Fan IDs are valid till 25th July (or thereabouts) so the airlines, including BA may well be busy for a few days yet.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.