Transgender and the BAEC

Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Transgender and the BAEC

Hi All,

I'm transgender and transitioning later this year (male to female). I'm a gold card holder and have 2 flights booked (one in October to Japan using my birth name and one in May to New York using my new name).

I haven't changed my passport yet as I'm still travelling to Japan as Michael which means I can't leverage my gold status to book good seats on the flight to New York - is it worth phoning BA, explaining the situation and asking them to reserve seats for the May flight in line with my status or is it a waste of time and I should simply wait until I change the account over in January / February?

My only concern about waiting is whether the prime UD seats will be gone by February?

Thanks!

Michael (for now)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd hope and expect that in this day and age BA would have a process in place to accommodate this situation. My suggestion though is that you start with the twitter team who can get you in touch with something other than the normal front line customer support. You should certainly expect nothing less than a smooth transition and that you get the benefits of your status, including the UD seats and so on.

Best of luck with both aspects of this.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I would try calling or sending a tweet. I cannot see any justification for not allowing you to change the name on your account, after all thousands of people must do it every year when they marry/divorce and change their name, therefore I would expect that the same process should apply. However, they may say they cannot do anything until a legal document confirms the name change, which may well also be the case when a person changes their name when getting married.

Good luck and I hope you are able to reserve the seats to want.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by madfish
I would try calling or sending a tweet. I cannot see any justification for not allowing you to change the name on your account, after all thousands of people must do it every year when they marry/divorce and change their name, therefore I would expect that the same process should apply. However, they may say they cannot do anything until a legal document confirms the name change, which may well also be the case when a person changes their name when getting married.

Good luck and I hope you are able to reserve the seats to want.
i think the question here relates to timing. If the account details are updated before the Tokyo trip is flown, the challenge is ensuring these flights (booked under a different name) track/credit okay.

I have no answer to this
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And this would perhaps be a rare occasion where I would suggest a PM to @BA Executive Club as an alternative to Twitter or calling up. My guess would be that it should be possible to retain your BAEC number but change the personal details associated with it. Changing name happens that way, and BAEC membership isn't too gender specific. Certainly for the moment I would continue to use your existing BAEC number for the time being including on the NY service. Moreover JFK is a good one for late bookers, so normally the good seats are still available a few weeks before travel. The PM link is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=8671

Perhaps later on it may be useful to update the forum on what happened. It's a very personal decision so one would understand if you prefer not to do so, but it may be of assistance to someone else in the future.

Good luck with the journey ahead. BA I think has a good track record in this area, as at least suggested by this video, so I would hope this aspect at least isn't troublesome.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - the problem I currently have is that I can't add my BAEC number to my New York booking (name doesnt match) which makes sense.

I don't expect to be able to add it to the booking until I change the account name (after Japan) but ideally wanted to be able to reserve seats for NY using my GC privileges without changing the name yet.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
i think the question here relates to timing. If the account details are updated before the Tokyo trip is flown, the challenge is ensuring these flights (booked under a different name) track/credit okay.

I have no answer to this
True but expect they would say the same procedure applies. At what point do people change their name on their accounts and what evidence does BA require? Will they just do so on the say so of the passenger? Personally, I would like to think that they would. If they do require evidence then this will at least give the OP some sense of date when it will happen.

Of course the easiest solution would be to just assign the seat now when requested.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

True but expect they would say the same procedure applies. At what point do people change their name on their accounts and what evidence does BA require? Will they just do so on the say so of the passenger? Personally, I would like to think that they would. If they do require evidence then this will at least give the OP some sense of date when it will happen.

No, there's a specific process involving a copy of the passengers new passport (which means I cant change it until after I've done this years travel)

Of course the easiest solution would be to just assign the seat now when requested.
This would be perfect
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: GGL
One question to ask is: if you book flights using your existing BAEC credentials and then subsequently the details on your BAEC account are updated, will this update future bookings, either automatically or through some manual process?

As a matter of interest, what is the method by which the legal name is changed? Is it by deed poll or is there a process specifically for this situation?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Mostly deed poll with some additional hoops from a GP to confirm the change of gender for passport purposes.

It's a pain but not too difficult (in theory anyway, we'll find out next year how smooth it actually is!)
https://assets.publishing.service.go...nformation.PDF
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I'd hope and expect that in this day and age BA would have a process in place to accommodate this situation.
Not to derail the thread... But I have to debunk your point. Most companies don't accommodate this situation.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to derail the thread... But I have to debunk your point. Most companies don't accommodate this situation.
Well yes, but most companies are tiny, nowhere near the size of BA, and BA sets its store around diversity. I'd suggest that most large multinationals do too these days - mine certainly does. It's not that it takes much beyond basic common sense anyway, in this case all that's needed is to allow seat selection using the old name which I'd imagine will happen.

I guess your point is that companies should do more, and I wouldn't argue with that, but my point was specific rather than general.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I guess your point is that companies should do more, and I wouldn't argue with that, but my point was specific rather than general.
No. Companies should stay neutral with anything political.

But partially agree - because companies should make certain situations (like this) much easier.
frandrake likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
What on earth does this have to do with politics???
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:28 pm

But partially agree - because companies should make certain situations (like this) much easier.
I wasn't aware that seat selection was political, but hey ho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.