The Red Glass in F Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Marimekko is napkins, fabrics etc... the glasses are from Iittala, and called Ultimate Thule, think the design have been around since 1940s... can be bought in air, or in the Iittala shop on Esplanadi in Helsinki... ;-)
Thanks I never knew that.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I believe @NoTiersForMe is another expert on the subject of Finnair glasses https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28280685-post1554.html
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Haha. My perfect collection of 6 is now down to 5 owing to my clumsy washing up. [note to self: perhaps time for another Tallinn run]
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TonyHancock

I am debating setting up a petition to oust the red glass from the F cabin, the only thing stopping me is my own indolence.
I am with you. I don't like it. I much prefer to be able to see what I'm drinking. I'm the same with coffee mugs which for me have to have a white interior. I wouldn't change my flying habits because of it and I don't even think I'd bother signing a petition but I don't care for it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I am with you. I don't like it. I much prefer to be able to see what I'm drinking. I'm the same with coffee mugs which for me have to have a white interior. I wouldn't change my flying habits because of it and I don't even think I'd bother signing a petition but I don't care for it.
Wouldn't you miss that burst of colour in the stylish understated cabin?
T8191, golfmad and SkyTeem like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Pablo Neruda believed that even water tasted better from coloured glasses - if you fly LHR-SCL, you can visit his houses; La Chascona, Isla Negra and La Sebastiana, and see them set out in the bars and on dinner tables.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant
Pablo Neruda believed that even water tasted better from coloured glasses - if you fly LHR-SCL, you can visit his houses; La Chascona, Isla Negra and La Sebastiana, and see them set out in the bars and on dinner tables.
I would agree and I do like coloured water glasses on a table. I spent some time last year trying to find table water glasses anywhere in the UK but whilst there was lots of tat, found that quality coloured glassware was difficult to locate.

BA I recall had a blue tint on a previous incarnation but the red 70's throwback is horrid looking.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant
Apparently red cups and glasses are a stimulant to our sub-conscious and helps us enjoy the flavour (apparently it even sweetens the taste, in the depths of our minds)*

*Data obtained from a scientist on a BBC show about making a perfect cup of tea, suggests a red cup for the ultimate taste.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We have a few accidentally obtained from several trips in TAM J. Although a deeper red in colour than the BA F one the bulbous shape is nicer and a lot more stable when the flight gets rough.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I like the red glass, a bit of style among the usually 13 rafts in the cabin...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Water being a perfectly neutral colour/taste, these glasses do lift the experience slightly. However, Ill stick to our dark blue ones, as the whole kitchen area is blue-tones, as is the informal crockery.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
We have a few accidentally obtained from several trips in TAM J. Although a deeper red in colour than the BA F one the bulbous shape is nicer and a lot more stable when the flight gets rough.
I used to have a few accidentally obtained from TAM as well... I liked having them around as I could (somewhat) credibly sneak a Negroni from time to time, and it would basically look like water...
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Looks like Ikea to me. As Steve says, from their Krappi range.
They've got millions of them in store.

I guess they are so tasteless to reduce theft?
The glassware is provided by Darlington Crystal, youll find more information here: British Airways - FIRST GLASS
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:53 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Im sure if you asked them they would fetch you a clear water water glass...

FYI... Erythrophobia is the extreme and irrational fear of the color red, often mistaken for the far more common hemophobia
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck

Marimekko is napkins, fabrics etc... the glasses are from Iittala, and called Ultimate Thule, think the design have been around since 1940s... can be bought in air, or in the Iittala shop on Esplanadi in Helsinki... ;-)
[PEDANT] It's actually Ultima Thule [/PEDANT] https://www.iittala.com/gb/en/collections/iittala/ultima-thule/c/ultima-thule/intro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.