Search

Qantas vs BA Reward Flight Availability

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VA
Qantas vs BA Reward Flight Availability

Hi,

Just doing some research on a possible visit from the UK to Australia in the future - I've had a search on this board for answers, but can't seem to find one.

Using the BAEC availability calendar, there are a limited number of flights available on the equivalent dates next year to which we are planning to travel in 2020. However, when I log into my Quantas account, it is showing a greater selection of flights and cabins under their scheme (similar for other dates I have checked as well).

If Quantas is showing availability for their rewards flights, is it then possible to request these flights via the BAEC using Avios (similar to the way in which AA availability can be booked), or is Quantas availability completely separate from BA?

On a similar note, is there any way of checking availability on Emirates using Avios, as I have not yet seen any Emirates flights appearing on the BA results, although Qatar Airlines occasionally pops up.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At a more practical level, you won’t be able to book travel for 2020 until 2019, and many things can change in that time. Note that it’s Qantas (no ‘u’)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If I'm thinking of the same BA calendar as you, it will only show you BA flights. Whereas the Qantas calendar will show you dates when one of a number of partners is available.

Most these will show up on ba.com (and be bookable with avios) if you search the specific date Qantas highlights for you. You may also need to break the search down leg by leg. I'm not aware that Qantas opens up seats on its own flights that are not also then offered to BAEC (some do, such as Cathay).

And you can't book Emirates with avios - they are not a BA partner.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks both of you for the replies. Appreciate that things may change, and in all honesty, I'm expecting another change in the way rewards flights are "priced" with Avios so I may end up having insufficient Avios anyhow for a return trip!!!! I may end up using Avios for the return flight, and using VA miles on Singapore Airlines to get out.

I have tried using the same dates on the BA and Qantas (no 'u' - noted ) and there do seem to be a few flight options available on Qantas but not on BA. However, I have plenty of time to keep checking, and will hopefully be fully prepared when the flights are released early next year!! Not sure where I got the Emirates availability from - must be a lack of caffeine.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I have been told quite categorically on a number of occasions that just because seats are available on the QF website, they won't necessarily be available on BA's.

Another thing to be aware of is that there is a glitch on the BA website when it comes to booking QF flights with Avios. Seats in Y price up ok, but seats in other cabins always come up with "Sorry there is a problem with booking this journey online. Try selecting other flights". Just means booking over the phone.

Something else to look out for is there is often phantom availability on the BA site, so don't get your hopes up if you see availability online. It may not be there in reality.

Booking CX by comparison is a doddle. WYSIWYG and always bookable online.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The BA redemption website is - for reasons no one can credibly say - full of bugs. The map and calendar sections will often throw up phantom availability. I've learned not to trust it at all. Unless it is a simple one-way BA metal redemption, I usually look on EF first.
EuropeanPete and flyer200 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the latest replies. Have to admit that even looking today, the BA site wouldn’t show me the prices for flights even though I had selected them as instructed.......!!!!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I've been trying without success to book a MEL-PER on QF but continuously get this error, no matter what date I choose. Availability shows up, but always the error. I've chosen more frequent QF routes too (MEL-SYD), 6 months out, but no luck booking online.

"Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected"
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by grant32
I've been trying without success to book a MEL-PER on QF but continuously get this error, no matter what date I choose. Availability shows up, but always the error.
You might want to have a look at this point in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post29967586

Personally, I wouldn't see the error more than once or twice, as I'd then be picking up the phone to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.