Compensation advice

Old Jul 14, 18, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Compensation advice

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on FT. I hope it is in the right place.

2 days ago, I flew BA193 (LHR-DFW) in CW but due to weather issues in DFW, our flight was rerouted to IAH and we had to spent the night at a hotel. We got transferred the next day to DFW by bus.
The problem is that I missed my initial connecting flight on AA (booked in C) and BA rebooked me in Y.

What compensations should I claim?

Thank you for your advices
Old Jul 14, 18, 7:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA board JoshFr, it's good to see you here, and I hope you have got over the travel hassles. This forum has a lot of its core knowledge in the Dashboard, and it's worth having a look through there when you have a moment. One particular thread of use to you there is the EC261 thread which will help you. In essence, since this was weather related you won't get compensation for the delay; you will get some reimbursement for the downgrade, but depending on the precise details (fare, route, distance, taxes) the amount could be quite small. But the EC261 thread has the details in it so you can work it out.
Old Jul 14, 18, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, I take it that BA took care of your hotel and meals at IAH. If not, you may submit those reasonable expenses to BA for reimbursement under its EC 261/2004 duty of care obligation.

Second, you have not provided any details of your onward AA flight, but it appears that you were originally booked into one of the premium cabins. If you were rebooked in Y, what reason was given? Unless there is some oddity to your fare bases or routing, it was most likely due to the lack of availability in other than Y. You, of course, could have insisted on waiting for premium cabin availability, but depending on the route, that might have been hours or days. You are however entitled to a refund of the fare difference between cabin flown and booked. Without knowing your routing, hard to say, but if the connecting AA service was a fairly short flight, you won't find much of a refund.

Third, highly unlikely that you are due compensation for a delay caused by a weather diversion. This diversion and reroute sounds as if it was handled as well as could have been handled under the circumstances.
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice:
My routing is a : MXP-LHR-DFW-LBB on the same booking.
Reason given for Y was that there was the plane was fully booked.

I was thinking about a compensation for the downgrade between DFW and LBB.
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JoshFr View Post
:

Lubbock Airport, formerly South Plains, is in the north west side of Texas, so a relatively short hop, and I imagine on some of the American Eagle flights it may only offer one class travel, however I do see they offer First on that route. Assuming you had a return ticket, and that return went OK, your downgraded sector of 288 miles out of 5615 miles, is about 2.5% of the entire trip. So if you paid something like 3000€ for the trip, the reimbursement would be about 50€. BA may do an involuntary fare recalculation as an alternative, and it may be slightly higher. See the EC261 thread and follow the steps there to get your reimbursement.
steve170461 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 18, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoshFr View Post
Thank you for your advice:

There was no F available on the particular flight, but if it was important for the 45-minute flight, you could have waited for the next service with F available (many are single cabin). I do not see this as a downgrade. It is also likely the case that either the refund for fare difference or EC 261/2004 refund will be roughly the same: minimal.

A better effort here would have been for you to ask BA to reroute you onto one of the six nonstops IAH-LBB. This would have avoided the lovely bus ride to DFW and likely have landed you at LBB a bit delayed, but without an overnight.
Old Jul 14, 18, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Actually there is First/Business on this flight : 2-1 configuration instead of a 2-2 in Economy.
BA adivsed us to call the 1-800-AIRWAYS number in order to find a better solution, but the call center was completely saturated.
We disembarked from the plane at IAH, at 9pm, after having waited one hour in the queue to take off. We did not take off because the crew have reached the limit of work time...
Old Jul 14, 18, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was established upthread. The point is that there likely was not availability in F. Thus, you would have had to ask to wait for the next service which did have an F cabin and availability. Not that many would do so for a flight blocked at 1 hour with substantially less than that in the air.

What I do think would have been the better plan would have been to have BA rebook onto the next UA nonstop (6-8 per day) from IAH, thus avoiding the 4-hour bus ride.
Old Jul 14, 18, 8:32 pm

Despite the huff and puff above the OP was downgraded and is entitled to the fare difference which CWS estimated at 50. Whether it's worth the effort of claiming is another thing.