Wiki Posts
Search

First Premier Interaction

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
First Premier Interaction

On the flight back from Mumbai yesterday, I briefly interacted with the BA black card holder (Premier). I recognised him immediately, he is the CEO of a very well-known corporate here in the UK. There was a bit of a wait for boarding so we struck up a conversation - he was very friendly - we spoke about the football (great ice-breaker!) and how we dealt with the humid weather in Mumbai. He had some nice luggage tags (much smaller in size than the standard tags, but it had the BA crest and was black and just generally looked to be of high quality), so I figured he was a Premier card holder (and he was, as confirmed by his boarding pass). I know these cards are quite rare (from what I read on FT!), so I briefly asked him about it.

He said that for him, the benefit of the card was all about zipping through Heathrow, New York and a few other major stations in the Far East, as fast as he possibly can. He told me that on a recent flight to HK with bags, he checked in 30mins before departure. Can you believe it? His company book him Club through corporate policy, and he said he was upgraded maybe 30-40% of the time to F. On this particular flight, the inflight customer manager came to see him a couple of times, but he didn't get any extraordinary attention, and no-one was at either gate to bid him a pleasant journey or to welcome him to the UK. Maybe another benefit is the treatment during flight cancellations.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
interesting encounter!

Maybe another benefit is the treatment during flight cancellations.
The main benefit is probably not having to endure hundreds of hours in the air to just get to Gold!!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
interesting encounter!

The main benefit is probably not having to endure hundreds of hours in the air to just get to Gold!!
Indeed, or even more to get to the hallowed grounds of the Concorde Guest List!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I can't imagine BA having the ability anymore to provide truly Premier service. I just don't think it's in their culture anymore.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Killian_S
He told me that on a recent flight to HK with bags, he checked in 30mins before departure.
I'm wondering what is the logistics of this? Would it require a manual intervention (drive the bags out to the plane?) or would the luggage system be able to handle this with a reasonable level of certainty (seems unlikely?).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
I'm wondering what is the logistics of this? Would it require a manual intervention (drive the bags out to the plane?) or would the luggage system be able to handle this with a reasonable level of certainty (seems unlikely?).
I honestly don't know, but what a perk. He also took his suit carrier on board, which for most people would have been an automatic check-in item. I guess the black card guys really do have some great advantages!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
I can't imagine BA having the ability anymore to provide truly Premier service. I just don't think it's in their culture anymore.
Having worked for and hence travelled with a few premier card holders over the years I would say that the relentless outsourcing at outstations and loss of experienced cabin crew means that BA’s warm embrace doesn’t stretch as far as it used to. Equally the move from a stand alone plc to an opco of a holding company has perhaps taken off some of the gloss. Still a nice perk and there are many people in BA who do really care about premium customers.

If you want to see a culture of indifference to premium customers then take a look at Air France’s Club2000 which is their equivalent. The C2000 card is good for scraping ice from your windscreen on winter mornings but not much more....
SkyTeem likes this.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jul 14, 2018 at 2:37 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I expect the path, at least in T5, for rush baggage on a late connection might well handle a bag checked in 30 mins before departure (perhaps shepherded by a member of staff behind the scenes). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIcO7rlWvxE#t=2m10s shows an example where it is asserted (by a HAL or BA staff member) that a connecting bag can be handled in 15 or 16 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.