FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Reward availability in F: USA West Coast (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1919525-reward-availability-f-usa-west-coast.html)

OxfordBlue Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am

Reward availability in F: USA West Coast

Evening all... I'm planning a rather special trip in the future and really, really want to use my accumulated Avios with my Amex 2-4-1 to fly F, ideally to LAX although SAN would work as well.

I am seeing near-zero availability in F redemption for first half of 2019 (which is not when I want to travel but am just using it as a data point). A check tonight shows Club wide open on almost any chosen date, but only the following in F:

LAX: 2 dates in Feb, 1 in March, zero Apr, May, Jun
SAN:8 dates in Feb, 4 in March, zero Apr, May, Jun

Can anyone comment on why this is? Too soon for Q2 19, am I too late and they're all gone (although given I'm going all the way out to the 355-day limit, seems unlikely), or has the "bug" discussed in another thread returned?

I have no status (BA Blue), and checked using the "flight finder" tool on ba.com - I am UK based.

mda03jb Jul 12, 2018 11:09 am

There's no guarantee of F seats unlike Club. In general F seats are also released sporadically as Revenue Management decide they may have spare capacity and this tends to be much later in the day than the t-355 days when the 2 CW seats are released.

LAX is a route that BA regularly fill with revenue F passengers so is renowned as a tricky redemption in F. San Diego may well be an easier option. I would lock in seats in CW as soon as they are released and then check regularly for any F seats which you could call up and book for a £35pp fee. You can sign up for notifications via BARedemptionfinder. Good luck!

As an aside, if you really want F then Boston & New York are much more reliable options.

rapidex Jul 12, 2018 11:10 am

BA guarantee to make available 2x CW and 4x Y seats on each flight. They make no guarantees about F seats, and with LAX where they can often sell all the available F seats, I would expect little Avios availability.

wanderingjock Jul 12, 2018 11:23 am

I flew F rtn SJC recently and then took the short hop down to LAX on AA. Seemed like lots more F availability to SJC.

fripperies Jul 12, 2018 11:33 am

I was looking for F to West Coast in March 2019 and watched the inventory release.

LAX - almost nil. On a couple of dates there was 1 seat in F on the 10.35 departure only.
SAN - very sparse. Two seats on 3 dates
SFO - almost nil. Two seats on the 10.50 on 13th, 1 seat on the 14th.
LAS - almost nil. (1 seat on 3 dates)

Note that this only covers availability at T-355 (mostly around 02.00h GMT) and I may have missed a few. There could well have been others released subsequently. But it gives you the picture.

Plenty in J - minimum 2 seats per flight, sometimes more.

From West Coast back to UK availability in F is generally a bit easier. Forget about LAX-LHR (it's ultra-ultra rare) but usually findable ex-SAN, SFO, LAS.

I would say a realistic expectation is out in J, return in F. If you're dead set on outbound in F you'd need to be flexible on both date and route (and be prepared to stay up late). I ended up booking LHR-SAN and SFO-LHR. Good luck.

OxfordBlue Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mda03jb (Post 29966474)
There's no guarantee of F seats unlike Club. In general F seats are also released sporadically as Revenue Management decide they may have spare capacity and this tends to be much later in the day than the t-355 days when the 2 CW seats are released.

LAX is a route that BA regularly fill with revenue F passengers so is renowned as a tricky redemption in F. San Diego may well be an easier option. I would lock in seats in CW as soon as they are released and then check regularly for any F seats which you could call up and book for a £35pp fee. You can sign up for notifications via BARedemptionfinder. Good luck!

Thank you mda03jb and others... this is some info I didn't have, and it makes sense. I also didn't know about BARedemptionfinder - but I do now.

OB

Nicksta Jul 12, 2018 5:13 pm

You may also try routing through PHX. Onward flights to LAX are easy and very affordable. Depending on how they are booked, the connecting flights may be even be included in your redemption if they are on AA. PHX is a large hub for AA. With a new, second daily BA flight now operating on selected days into PHX, there seems to be some excess capacity, which has made redemption availability a bit better.

BenSenise Jul 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue (Post 29966438)
I am seeing near-zero availability in F redemption for first half of 2019

make life easy, use this: baredemptionfinder.com

Flexible preferences Jul 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta (Post 29967792)
You may also try routing through PHX. Onward flights to LAX are easy and very affordable. Depending on how they are booked, the connecting flights may be even be included in your redemption if they are on AA. PHX is a large hub for AA. With a new, second daily BA flight now operating on selected days into PHX, there seems to be some excess capacity, which has made redemption availability a bit better.

On the downside, tatty mid-J 747s, and Terminal 3 at LHR with no F wing or CCR.

mikeyfly Jul 13, 2018 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 29968434)
On the downside, tatty mid-J 747s, and Terminal 3 at LHR with no F wing or CCR.

I'll genuinely take the T3 lounges over the CCR. When in F the 747s are all the same, apart from IFE. But the Wing is a lot better than Slow Track at T3