Search

Compensation Due?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:58 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Being ?
It is, I suspect, somewhat unlikely and highly theoretical. Domestic flights don't, I think, require a cross reference photo ID check - just that the image taken at security matches the one at the gate. Obviously it will do so.

In theory, therefore, someone on a no-fly list could get on the plane. The chance of such a person being on the assistance required list, then be given the wrong BP, then not be recognised and tracked by the authorities and stopped is getting pretty remote though. Even if all that happens, they will still have been security checked.

So, yes, maybe just about a flaw. Significant? Certainly not.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Had the time qualifications been met, it is BA's responsibility to provide assistance. That is especially included in EC 261/2004. BA did not provide that assistance. The fact that at LHR, the service is provided by a contractor to the airport operator does not change the application of BA's duty.
It certainly isn't my reading of EC261.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Sorry, but if this is a claim against HAL and outside EC 261/04 (which all sounds right to me) the OP would only be able to recover financial losses incurred, right? Where is the loss by arriving MAN 90 min later?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry, but if this is a claim against HAL and outside EC 261/04 (which all sounds right to me) the OP would only be able to recover financial losses incurred, right? Where is the loss by arriving MAN 90 min later?
. Other transportation expenses... I took the earliest flight specifically to get to a destination ON time.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If this was an EC261/2004 case no; all that matters, when determining the compensation, is how much later than planned you arrive at your final destination, if the delay is the fault of the airline.

Your apparent 90 minute delay would not qualify for any delay compensation under EC261/2004.

But as others have said above, this isn't an EC261/2004 case as BA were not directly responsible for the mishap that caused your delay.
Not quite. If you're involuntary denied boarding you're due compensation regardless of the duration. If it's less than the time limit then the compensation is halved.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’d be inclined to stated thst under the disability discrimination act HAL failed to provide the assistance or make reasonable adjustments as an able bodied person arriving st xxxx for a flight at yyyy which resulted in them travelling at zzzz
dewidaniels likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hypercrypt

Not quite. If you're involuntary denied boarding you're due compensation regardless of the duration. If it's less than the time limit then the compensation is halved.
The airline will say that for this to be a case of involuntary denied boarding, the passenger would have had to actually have been at the gate, and subsequently actually have been denied boarding. They would lay the blame for the passenger failing to arrive at the gate on the third party service provider, meaning that it was not their fault and that they did not deny boarding.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by oaken
I took the earliest flight specifically to get to a destination ON time.
Although it sounds like your specific complaint is not about any airline, and clearly something went wrong here that shouldn't have done - as a more general point it's worth remembering that no airline promises this so it's always a good idea not to rely too heavily on something being "on time". In any form of travel, about the only guarantee is that things will sometimes go wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.