Wiki Posts
Search

Empower to charge phone or ipad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Empower to charge phone or ipad

In september i am going to fly longhaul in a 747 that has empower in wtp.
can they be used to charge a phone or ipad? Is a special adapter necessary or are they provided on the flight?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
A special adaptor is necessary. I bought one at a reasonable price years ago from Maplin [defunct UK electronics flogger retailer] that worked fine for charging a phone. An iPad might be possible provided the adaptor can provide sufficient current.
Adaptors are not provided on the flight I'm afraid.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I've tried searching for these on Amazon and couldn't find anything
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Note that after being turned into 86J or refurbished then the power sockets will turn into USB (and multi adapter AC socket in WTP and above). It's just the 52J unrefurbished that have empower in WTP, and I doubt you can be certain they (a) will work and (b) what aircraft you will get beyond the next 3 days. Moreover unless you are travelling a lot in countries which use elderly cast-off aircraft as a matter of routine, I suspect any Empower adapter is heading towards a museum. If you do buy something it would perhaps best be a pre-loved device rather than spend too much money on it.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have seat 12A and B on the 19-09 flight from heathorw to miami and as WTP starts at row 12 it should be an older 747 that holds the empower adapters. I am aware of the fact that the plane might change and the adapter will be useless. I have no intends to buy one as that must be a waste of money. Allthough if someone offers a cheap one i might reconsider
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Seraglio
I have seat 12A and B on the 19-09 flight from heathorw to miami and as WTP starts at row 12 it should be an older 747 that holds the empower adapters.
A number of these have now had modern power sockets installed in WTP, with more to come, see the relevant thread on the 52J refresh progress when you are nearer departure.
Seraglio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.