Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when is Aircraft Type Decided?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

when is Aircraft Type Decided?

we are flying to Toronto in a couple of weeks in CW. seating plan still shows a 787. When will BA allocate the actual aircraft?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Definitas
When will BA allocate the actual aircraft?
Probably about three days before the flight, although even then you should not expect to be able to find out the specific aircraft.

If there is a change of aircraft type or configuration, then this should be reflected in the seat maps. One source of alerts about a change in a seating configuration is ExpertFlyer.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Allocation of Aircraft Type

Thanks. i’ve just realised by reading another thread that this is way more complicated than I had realised. I was under the impression that all BA B787s are currently not flying transatlantic but realise now that this is not the case.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Often the specific aircraft is only made public via e.g. flightradar24 when it is taxiing for takeoff. Sometimes the tail number is available days or hours before, but sometimes that information is wrong.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Definitas
Thanks. i’ve just realised by reading another thread that this is way more complicated than I had realised. I was under the impression that all BA B787s are currently not flying transatlantic but realise now that this is not the case.
Loads of 787s are flying over the Atlantic.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The aircraft type is decided by the Network Planning (or similarly named) team when they are setting the schedule. The type may be changed at any point while the flights are available for sale, but normally not without good reason. At this stage and up to 72 hours prior to departure, flights are said to be under "reservations control" and the primary means of managing them is the Computer Reservation System. At this stage the flight is sufficiently far away in time that any potential operational issues generally are unforeseeable and so no specific airframe/tail number will be allocated.

However Network Planning will have an idea about which sub-fleet of aircraft within a type are likely to rotate among a selection of routes and they will plan their rotations on this basis. So you often see the same tail number appearing on a certain route again and again, all through a season and sometimes over many years.

At 72 hours prior to departure the flights move to "airport control" using the Departure Control System, which pulls details of all the passengers from the Computer Reservation System and prepares to accept them for travel by issuing boarding cards, printing bag tags and, when passengers reach the gate, loading them on. When flights move to airport control the airline will have a much better idea about which air frame/tail reg will operate. It is still not perfect though and can be subject to last minute changes. You only really know which tail reg is allocated when you get onboard.

Hope that helps!
TaxiTiger likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Better Educated

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The aircraft type is decided by the Network Planning (or similarly named) team when they are setting the schedule. The type may be changed at any point while the flights are available for sale, but normally not without good reason. At this stage and up to 72 hours prior to departure, flights are said to be under "reservations control" and the primary means of managing them is the Computer Reservation System. At this stage the flight is sufficiently far away in time that any potential operational issues generally are unforeseeable and so no specific airframe/tail number will be allocated.

However Network Planning will have an idea about which sub-fleet of aircraft within a type are likely to rotate among a selection of routes and they will plan their rotations on this basis. So you often see the same tail number appearing on a certain route again and again, all through a season and sometimes over many years.

At 72 hours prior to departure the flights move to "airport control" using the Departure Control System, which pulls details of all the passengers from the Computer Reservation System and prepares to accept them for travel by issuing boarding cards, printing bag tags and, when passengers reach the gate, loading them on. When flights move to airport control the airline will have a much better idea about which air frame/tail reg will operate. It is still not perfect though and can be subject to last minute changes. You only really know which tail reg is allocated when you get onboard.

Hope that helps!
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am now better educated (again!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.