Wiki Posts
Search

Trip curtailed-some help please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by Globaliser
As the ARN-LHR trip was on a paid ticket for two pax and an Avios ticket for two pax, and those tickets seem prima facie to be toast (subject to any residual refunds) it seems likely that this part was separately ticketed.

And if that's right, then given the back-tracking involved in PHL-LHR-HEL-ARN, there seems to be a good chance that this was an ex-ARN ticket that the OP intended to finish, with a final separately-booked positioning sector back to London.

If all had gone well, it seems that the itinerary should have been this:-
AA728 PHL-LHR 2040-0900
AY1332 LHR-HEL 1020-1515
AY813 HEL-ARN 1600-1600
BA781 ARN-LHR 1805-1950

Even if all of these connections had been protected, this would still have been an itinerary with little room for error. There certainly doesn't seem to have been much planned for the day other than flying. It's perhaps too easy to say, though, that the misconnect provided a watertight reason for skipping the "last sector" (something of which I am often glad when it happens at the end of my ex-EUs) as presumably there were 120 TPs at stake plus whatever would have been earned on the final sector by those on the cash tickets.
Thanks for all of the answers. Certainly for one of us this was all about the tier points. It was indeed ex ARN-HEL-nightstop-HEL-JFK-CLT-IAD-3 days-DCA-PHL-LHR-HEL-ARN then position back on BA.

Even on the way out we had a cancelled JFK-CLT, which AA rebooked us at 1730 whilst we were at JFK on a LGA-DCA departing 1900, which we subsequently missed but they then put us on the 2000 to DCA.

Should we be able to get any of the missed sectors credited?

Plenty of lessons learned for us all on this one I think.
Boeingbumper likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by steve170461
There is a guide to Original Routing Credit (ORC) in the Dashboard, but given this is AA on their network, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for all of the answers. Certainly for one of us this was all about the tier points. It was indeed ex ARN-HEL-nightstop-HEL-JFK-CLT-IAD-3 days-DCA-PHL-LHR-HEL-ARN then position back on BA.

Even on the way out we had a cancelled JFK-CLT, which AA rebooked us at 1730 whilst we were at JFK on a LGA-DCA departing 1900, which we subsequently missed but they then put us on the 2000 to DCA.

do have a look at the ORC thread. However on the face of it the answer would be no for LHR-HEL-ARN. For the outbound rebooking if you lost out due to the IRROPS issues you should be able to do an ORC claim to address that.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Your original connection time was really too short for LHR
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anniegray
The connection in London was a valid one and looks like they were rebooked onto a flight about an hour later - misconnected and got on next flight - seems like booking the 10:20 was fine

What the problem was , was booking a separate ticket out of ARN with no buffer time

There is no point , imo, just adding extra time sitting at an airport intentionally

Originally Posted by KARFA

do have a look at the ORC thread. However on the face of it the answer would be no for LHR-HEL-ARN. For the outbound rebooking if you lost out due to the IRROPS issues you should be able to do an ORC claim to address that.
Given that there is no BA involvement in the flights, I would suspect BA will not just give credit for the unflown sectors
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that there is no BA involvement in the flights, I would suspect BA will not just give credit for the unflown sectors
ORC has been paid for non BA flights on BA tickets and even non BA flights on AA tickets.

No ORC is due for LHR-HEL-ARN as that part of the route was never flown or rebooked. However I would expect ORC to be forthcoming for the OP's outbound IRROPS on AA flights between JFK/LGA/CLT/DCA whether on a BA or AA ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anniegray
It was a scheduled 1hr 20 connection in the same terminal so should and would have been comfortable if it hadn't been for the stand issue.

[QUOTE The connection in London was a valid one and looks like they were rebooked onto a flight about an hour later - misconnected and got on next flight - seems like booking the 10:20 was fine ][/QUOTE]

Dave, no the earliest rebooking they could give us arrived at ARN at 2025.

[QUOTE What the problem was , was booking a separate ticket out of ARN with no buffer time ][/QUOTE]

As it was an ex ARN fare we didn't really have a choice. We did allow a 2 hour buffer at ARN.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What the problem was , was booking a separate ticket out of ARN with no buffer time
As it was an ex ARN fare we didn't really have a choice. We did allow a 2 hour buffer at ARN.
In case it helps with planning on a future occasion: On a separate ticket, after three flights and two short (even if legal) connections, I don't think two hours was nearly enough. After a day of flying like that, when there was so little margin for error in any event, you probably needed to stay overnight in Stockholm to be safe.

Personally, I think that the booked connection at HEL was also distinctly optimistic. The fact that a connection is legal doesn't mean that it's comfortable. It's only comfortable if nothing goes wrong. And when you're travelling, about the only guarantee you have of anything is that sometimes it will go wrong, perhaps horribly.

If you cut your margins fine, then a small hiccup is much more likely to wreck all the subsequent plans. Your arrival delay at LHR was only 69 minutes, which is small beer in the scale of possible delays. With the plans that you'd made, as soon as you had a small delay like that, the rest was inevitably going to fall over.
LTN Phobia, wrp96 and NPF like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:04 am

I wouldn't personally go quite that far but I have read that someone would not even consider booking onward travel the same day if on separate tickets. This person says to always give yourself a day or two between such itineraries. Now that of course is a little over-the-top conservative for some. My personal rule of thumb is to generally allow 4-6 hours depending on where I'm doing it, unless I don't have to get somewhere, don't really care and have time to spare, especially if it's a cheap onward ticket or if I can just hop on a bus or something like that for the last leg, if all else fails.

Bus to ARN you had not the option of... and seriously... these domino routings on separate tickets with such tight squeezes - not just one but so many - the sheer madness of running back and forth to ARN on the same day... and you thought everything was going to be hunky dory? You may have been lucky in the past but looks like you got bit today.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:53 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Another prime example of folks booking too tight connection for an Important event.

Anything essential such as connecting to a Cathay First Class award ticket, I arrive the day before

Aircraft have been late and unreliable for years, I saw on TV a couple of nights ago The First Scheduled 747 Flight 50 years ago went Tech.

Plan...Plan...Plan...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Another prime example of folks booking too tight connection for an Important event.

Anything essential such as connecting to a Cathay First Class award ticket, I arrive the day before

Aircraft have been late and unreliable for years, I saw on TV a couple of nights ago The First Scheduled 747 Flight 50 years ago went Tech.

Plan...Plan...Plan...
This was not an issue with a too tight connection - connection missed and passenger got on the next flight - how would have booking the later flight up front have been any better?

The issue with the booking was insufficient time allowed for ending of 1 trip and the starting of the next trip in ARN - nothing to do with a connection

Sometimes flights are delayed and the airline will rebook - for a trip ex europe ( or return on an EU carrier ) , if it occurs, will almost certainly be rebooked on the next flight out ( unless it is a major issue affecting many flights - but even then could still be impacted ) and may get EUR600 . What is the benefit of , for example, booking a flight with a 4 hour connection when there is one at 90 minutes - miss the 90 minutes and get on the 4 hour flight. All that is being ensured is removing the chance of minimising travel time

If you like sitting around in waiting rooms for hours before a flight or extending travel time and cost with an overnight stop, then cool , go for it - but I plan to try an minimise the journey time where possible. Overnight stops are something I try to limit to when STPC applies and are necessary - or have been travelling a long while and will want a break

When having separate bookings, then I am very cautious unless the penalty for missing the flight is minimal
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the comments and advice-much of which is now taken on board. Just to clarify, that all of the connections would have been made but for the 80 minute wait to get off the aircraft at LHR-40 mins for a stand and then another 40 when the air bridge went u/s.

Even if we had booked the last BA out of ARN on the seperate ticket with a 4 hour buffer rather than the 2 hour we went for, we still wouldn't have made that flight as the only re booking offered to us to ARN arrived at 2020-twenty minutes after the last BA departed.

Well it wasn't really, just 4 ATCers having a few beers in various European and US cities.
Boeingbumper likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:42 pm

File claim using Air Help for EU delays cancellatuons etc.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It was a scheduled 1hr 20 connection in the same terminal so should and would have been comfortable if it hadn't been for the stand issue.
A 1h20 minute connection within the same terminal is certainly "doable" but definitely not "comfortable". In effect, a 30 minutes delay and unfavourable stand or slow disembarkation is enough to make you miss it. In effect, we are probably talking of at least a 5-10% risk here, which is by no means negligible.

Then we are back to square one: when it comes to booking separate tickets, just consider that risk level and how much you care about what you lose if your strategy fails as it has here. In this case, I understand taking the risk as it did not mean losing your more expensive long haul but only some short haul flights that you could comparatively afford to lose.

Suggestions to seek compensation etc are pointless here, there will be none, and ORC will most likely be refused to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.