FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Advice/Help Needed: Misconnect LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1919205-advice-help-needed-misconnect-lhr.html)

WorldClub Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am

Advice/Help Needed: Misconnect LHR

A relative of mine just misconnected in LHR (due to closure of air space) and obviously at the transfer desk there is a huge queue resulting in probably no other options to fly today (LHR-BOS).
I tried calling the gold line however they insist they cannot rebook over the phone and she has to wait.

As she is a European citizen, might it be more beneficial to go landside and arrange it at a customer service desk at check ins? Currently there are roughly 50 people in front of her and 1.5h queueing so far. Or would it be a similar queue at the check ins?

Thank you all for your expert advice!

corporate-wage-slave Jul 10, 2018 11:11 am

Probably I would take the risk and go landside, since the agents needed to do this are likely to have shorter queues, particularly if she has status with BA, but it does come with some risks, notably that unless she gets over the position that she is "on carriage" - that is to say midway through a booking - she may be encouraged to rebook via BA.com / the contact centre. That should only apply to those starting their journeys, not to those connecting, so it's important that she makes that aspect clear. Zone E or the flight management areas in Zone A would be best placed for this, there may well be a bit of a queue there too, but it's not likely to be as lengthy. If she has Silver status I would probably go to the business class check area (zone H is it? somewhere near there) and if Gold obviously the First Wing would be definitely better.

[I shouldn't say this, but the other option is to try to use the Self Service machines in departures, she will obviously get stuck on that, and if she is lucky an agent will swoop round and sort something out, particularly if it is just a case of moving from one flight to the next]/

WorldClub Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks C-W-S as always for your expert advice. BA at it's finest again: she was told to queue at the transfer desk but she was rebooked to the later departure however no one told her so she missed that one due to the fact that she was waiting for an agent to become available. Now that she is finally at the desk no room anymore for today's late flight. She has no status and is an inexperienced flyer, horrible situation to be in.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 10, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by WorldClub (Post 29958920)
Thanks C-W-S as always for your expert advice. BA at it's finest again: she was told to queue at the transfer desk but she was rebooked to the later departure however no one told her so she missed that one due to the fact that she was waiting for an agent to become available. Now that she is finally at the desk no room anymore for today's late flight. She has no status and is an inexperienced flyer, horrible situation to be in.

Yeah it must create a lot of anxiety when this happens. There will always be another bus to Boston is what I will say, though I'm not always believed! One thing people in irrops should always check is the BA App to see if they have been rebooked automatically, refreshing / going via Manage My Booking if necessary, to see if the computer has already rebooked them. If so then the Boarding Pass probably won't come through - I think I have only managed that twice ever and that's knowing what to look for - but crucially at this point you can go to the Flight Connections scan point, they will simply reprint the boarding pass at that stage rather then send her to Customer Services.

sammyg901 Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm

How frustrating!! Sort of thing they should have someone combing the queue for - you'd literally just need an iPad and the BA website- no complex training or IT required!

Kamalaasaa Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm

I’m surprised to hear this - I misconnected through LHR both ways on a recent trip and we were met by agents both times to help people. In fact, they already had me rebooked. Don’t know if the circumstances dictate the response - both were due to lengthy (> 1 hr) mechanical delays at the origin, and both were connecting between AA-BA (BA-AA on the return).

i am no status on AA and not even a member on BA so that played no role.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 29960147)
I’m surprised to hear this - I misconnected through LHR both ways on a recent trip and we were met by agents both times to help people.

That tends to happen if there are just a few irrops, and even on slightly bad days they often have someone prowling the Flight Connection queue with their tablet to check passengers to see if autoload has kicked them onto the next flight. But today was a bad day, there was the RAF fly past, capacity problems at LGW, and delays over French ATC, hence there were a lot of misconnects today. It would probably help if crew members on aircraft arriving into LHR which are late enough to cause irrops (effectively more than 20 minutes late or more) could invite people to refresh the App to see if the computer has already sorted out their misconnect. Or you can just digest Flyertalk in advance I guess......

Often1 Jul 10, 2018 6:53 pm

In addition to the app, it would be helpful, presuming that the passenger has provided BA with the information for the booking, if rebookings were also sent by email, text and an automated voicemail.

Even B6 has this capacity for domestic flights in the US and that takes a lot of pressure off the staff as well. The system is entirely automated and the same feature which updates the app, transmits the other three notices as well.

WorldClub Jul 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Thank you all for your responses, she just arrived in Boston and made it on the last flight of today because of a very friendly agent at the customer service desk in flight connections. Happy to have it resolved but you are definitely right if she was made aware of refreshing the app she would have had the second flight and a lot less stress but I am happy that she made it here!

UncleDude Jul 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Of course if she had booked a 3 Hour connection, then maybe she would have had no problems.

Most authorized Airlines connections are just far too tight. Certainly not worth all the stress and then mishandled baggage when thing to fail to connect.

simpleflyer Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29960193)
which are late enough to cause irrops (effectively more than 20 minutes late or more) could invite people to refresh the App to see if the computer has already sorted out their misconnect. Or you can just digest Flyertalk in advance I guess......

Let me see if I understand. If I anticipate a misconnect, I should assume that I have been rebooked onto the next flight, and as a calculated risk - if I can't find wifi to check status on my ipod - I should go directly to the gate area for that flight and inquire if I am on same. If I am not, I have lost time, true, but I have at least done what I can not to miss any rebooked flight.

irishguy28 Jul 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by WorldClub (Post 29960709)
Thank you all for your responses, she just arrived in Boston and made it on the last flight of today

What about the luggage? :D

rossmacd Jul 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 29963362)
Of course if she had booked a 3 Hour connection, then maybe she would have had no problems.

Most authorized Airlines connections are just far too tight. Certainly not worth all the stress and then mishandled baggage when thing to fail to connect.

Rubbish.

If you enjoy spending more time at airports than necessary, keep up your strategy ;)

There is a MCT for a reason - I will always book MCT to reduce overall travel time where possible - there is always another flight. And yes, it is a risk I am willing to take.

Further to this, DOM-INT at LHR T5 should be reduced to 45 minutes from the current rather ludicrous 60 minutes.

WorldClub Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 29963362)

Sorry but this is rubbish. Even with the delay she was in time to make conformance however the queue in the transfer area to check caused her to miss conformance and being redirected and then all the hassle of not knowing about being auto rebooked etc..
If BA sells it like this, I do not presume it happens often.

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29963496)
What about the luggage? :D

Interestingly enough the luggage made it at the same time! I was pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 29963647)
Rubbish.

If you enjoy spending more time at airports than necessary, keep up your strategy ;)

There is a MCT for a reason - I will always book MCT to reduce overall travel time where possible - there is always another flight. And yes, it is a risk I am willing to take.

Further to this, DOM-INT at LHR T5 should be reduced to 45 minutes from the current rather ludicrous 60 minutes.

My thoughts exactly.

ptr120 Jul 13, 2018 9:25 am

I'm not so sure that MCT from DOM-INT at LHR T5 is ludicrous and should be reduced to 45 minutes. I've missed several longer DOM - INT connections causing overnights at LHR due to late inbound aircraft. When things work, the connection is very doable in 45 minutes, but when there is just the slightest hint of weather problems can occur. Turnarounds at most stations are rarely long enough to make up for any delays on the previous sector.