Mandatory passport check

Old Jul 10, 18, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Mandatory passport check

Recently I've made 2 trips to Europe using hand luggage only
i check in online and printed out the boarding passes , on the boarding pass in red it days my passport has to be checked prior to boarding
do I have to get passport checked at check in desk / bag drop off ? or can I do it after security at the gate
both my trips I did it at check in desks and got a strange look when I said I had no luggage to check in
Old Jul 10, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andyh1877 View Post
Recently I've made 2 trips to Europe using hand luggage only
i check in online and printed out the boarding passes , on the boarding pass in red it days my passport has to be checked prior to boarding
do I have to get passport checked at check in desk / bag drop off ? or can I do it after security at the gate
both my trips I did it at check in desks and got a strange look when I said I had no luggage to check in
Just flash your passport when boarding as you would normally do anyway.
Old Jul 10, 18, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze (OWR)
At JFK in the past Iíve travelled HBO, went straight through security and been paged to go to the BA customer service desk for a passport check.

Last edited by rpjs; Jul 10, 18 at 6:03 am
Old Jul 10, 18, 6:00 am
Moderator, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's effectively just a reminder to have your passport with you, since if HBO the gate check is the only time you will be asked for your passport before boarding. There was a brief period when BA tried to get passengers on HBO to get their passports checked before security (it was connected with not doing passport checks at the gate and thinking of future e-gate initiatives} I think it lasted 2 days before being abandoned. Apart from that odd experiment, nothing has changed in this area in 20 years.
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold
It is indeed standard procedure to check passport at the gate; no need to do it at check in counter.

Note that some Schengen countries (e.g. France) have reinstated gate passport/ID control within Schengen.
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
When I'm carry-on only I always go to the gate desk to have my passport cleared. Then I don't get paged to do so.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: Etihad Guest, Aegean & some other almost useless M&M programs; BA One World; spg; HHonors; Accor...
I wouldn't worry about it - they will ask for it when they need it....
Old Jul 11, 18, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; AGR Select+
When departing LHR T5, I cannot get through the automated gates leading to security without getting my passport checked, even when I've successfully checked in online.
I've traveled around the world multiple times, almost always HBO, and have never once received a strange look.
Old Jul 11, 18, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Up to a couple of years ago, they needed to see yor passport before you got to the gate (entering the lounge was normally where mine got looked at).

However, IIRC I was told one day at the EDI lounge that the system had changed and as long as BA had your passport details in their system (for many of us that means in their Exec Club profile), the check was no longer required

P.S. That was just for European flights
Old Today, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
I've had something similar recently-- it appears to be a problem with dual citizenship (I'm Canada/UK) and which passport gets picked up in the booking. Some of this is daft: heading for continental Europe, neither Canada nor UK require visa, of course. And it's unhelpful that BAEC only put space for one passport in the profile.