FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Mandatory passport check (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1919151-mandatory-passport-check.html)

andyh1877 Jul 10, 2018 5:42 am

Mandatory passport check

Recently I've made 2 trips to Europe using hand luggage only
i check in online and printed out the boarding passes , on the boarding pass in red it days my passport has to be checked prior to boarding
do I have to get passport checked at check in desk / bag drop off ? or can I do it after security at the gate
both my trips I did it at check in desks and got a strange look when I said I had no luggage to check in

Tafflyer Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am

Originally Posted by andyh1877 (Post 29957711)
Recently I've made 2 trips to Europe using hand luggage only
i check in online and printed out the boarding passes , on the boarding pass in red it days my passport has to be checked prior to boarding
do I have to get passport checked at check in desk / bag drop off ? or can I do it after security at the gate
both my trips I did it at check in desks and got a strange look when I said I had no luggage to check in

Just flash your passport when boarding as you would normally do anyway.

rpjs Jul 10, 2018 5:57 am

At JFK in the past I’ve travelled HBO, went straight through security and been paged to go to the BA customer service desk for a passport check.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 10, 2018 6:00 am

It's effectively just a reminder to have your passport with you, since if HBO the gate check is the only time you will be asked for your passport before boarding. There was a brief period when BA tried to get passengers on HBO to get their passports checked before security (it was connected with not doing passport checks at the gate and thinking of future e-gate initiatives} I think it lasted 2 days before being abandoned. Apart from that odd experiment, nothing has changed in this area in 20 years.

brunos Jul 10, 2018 9:07 am

It is indeed standard procedure to check passport at the gate; no need to do it at check in counter.

Note that some Schengen countries (e.g. France) have reinstated gate passport/ID control within Schengen.

Dianne47 Jul 10, 2018 1:04 pm

When I'm carry-on only I always go to the gate desk to have my passport cleared. Then I don't get paged to do so.

Shiv01 Jul 11, 2018 11:45 am

I wouldn't worry about it - they will ask for it when they need it....

Blumie Jul 11, 2018 1:25 pm

When departing LHR T5, I cannot get through the automated gates leading to security without getting my passport checked, even when I've successfully checked in online.
I've traveled around the world multiple times, almost always HBO, and have never once received a strange look.

thegoderic Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Up to a couple of years ago, they needed to see yor passport before you got to the gate (entering the lounge was normally where mine got looked at).

However, IIRC I was told one day at the EDI lounge that the system had changed and as long as BA had your passport details in their system (for many of us that means in their Exec Club profile), the check was no longer required

P.S. That was just for European flights

sky-rat Jul 15, 2018 3:13 am

I've had something similar recently-- it appears to be a problem with dual citizenship (I'm Canada/UK) and which passport gets picked up in the booking. Some of this is daft: heading for continental Europe, neither Canada nor UK require visa, of course. And it's unhelpful that BAEC only put space for one passport in the profile.

Globaliser Jul 16, 2018 2:15 am

Originally Posted by sky-rat (Post 29975157)
And it's unhelpful that BAEC only put space for one passport in the profile.

Isn't the answer to this one to not put any passport details into the BAEC profile, and simply add the appropriate passport details to each booking? This is what I do for two separate family members, one of whom is a conventional dual national. The other has the usual mess of issues with different Hong Kong-based travel documents in different names. It takes about 30 seconds to do on each booking - usually rather less time than it takes to pick seats.

YClass Sep 25, 2018 6:34 am

I get the sense this is more than just a reminder.... more like what to expect post-Brexit. I've flown from Finland twice and not been able to print a boarding pass without a manual passport check. I've had separate checks at FRA prior to boarding a connecting flight to LHR, and similarly my other half couldn't print a connecting boarding pass via STR so had to go to Flight Connections for a passport check. We both have European passports so shouldn't be an issue....... sign of times to come I suspect and ramping up or testing methods perhaps. Locally they state its a UK requirement (if they state anything at all).

Ldnn1 Sep 25, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by YClass (Post 30243014)
I get the sense this is more than just a reminder.... more like what to expect post-Brexit. I've flown from Finland twice and not been able to print a boarding pass without a manual passport check. I've had separate checks at FRA prior to boarding a connecting flight to LHR, and similarly my other half couldn't print a connecting boarding pass via STR so had to go to Flight Connections for a passport check. We both have European passports so shouldn't be an issue....... sign of times to come I suspect and ramping up or testing methods perhaps. Locally they state its a UK requirement (if they state anything at all).

It's nothing to do with Brexit.

YClass Sep 25, 2018 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30243034)
It's nothing to do with Brexit.

I sincerely hope you're right. What is it though? Seems like everything becoming more onerous......

corporate-wage-slave Sep 25, 2018 7:27 am

Originally Posted by YClass (Post 30243077)
I sincerely hope you're right. What is it though? Seems like everything becoming more onerous......

The usual cause is that someone didn't book the flight in BA.com and/or their API data isn't in there and/or the passport is close to expiry date (within 6 months). Amadeus comes with a subset of API data of its own and if it conflicts with FLY then you or the agent needs to resolve it. It is actually more likely to happen on services not involving the EU since API is more widespread outside the EU than inside it. But yes, nothing to do with Brexit, apparently there are some aspects of every day life which don't.