FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Baby Cot in F 747 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1919125-baby-cot-f-747-a.html)

msm2000uk Jul 10, 2018 2:03 am

Baby Cot in F 747

I've seen photos of the Brittax seat used in F, and know that on a 747 it is placed 5F. Our little one will be 14 months old at the time of flight next year.

With both 1A/1K available for the flight I'm looking at, I wondered how necessary it is that the Brittax goes into 5F. Will it fit in other seats for example?

The flight time would be around 7 hours each way, and we will likely have the travel buggy, but I appreciate she cannot sleep in that in the aisle (even though between 1A/1K there is probably space for it to fit).

Does anyone have any experience of using the Brittax?

Thanks in advance,

M

madfish Jul 10, 2018 2:04 am

No it only fits this seat. There is a table/bench that it fits on and this needs to be attached directly to the seating area which means that it has specific mountings that can only be found in this seat.

At 14 months you may want to look at the size of your child. Unless they are relatively small or certainly no more than average then I wouldn’t think it was the most comfortable place. Our 1 year old was ok in it but other older daughter would never have been at that age.

Unless you think they will definetly sleep 1A/1k might be a better option as they can have room on the floor between the seats to play. And if they do sleep you could have dinner together.

Can I help you Jul 10, 2018 2:11 am

I agree with what madfish says except for allowing your baby on the floor, this is 100% not acceptable.

mrvincent Jul 10, 2018 2:15 am

I've generally struggled to find useful information on old babies and bassinet seats. We're in F on 777/787 in Dec and currently have the official bassinet seats booked, but is there any point in doing this for a 20 month old, or are they going to be too big anyway? I don't want to take the bassinet from someone that may need it and would rather have a better seat for ourselves.

[Apologies for the hijacking]

newyorklondon Jul 10, 2018 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 29957323)
I agree with what madfish says except for allowing your baby on the floor, this is 100% not acceptable.

We've had the full range of responses to this from CC on over 20 BA flights in F & CW, long-haul, short-haul etc etc with our now eight-month old. I'm sure BA policy is exactly as CIHY says. Our experience, however, is that it really does vary quite dramatically (even between members of CC on the same flight). What didn't vary was the requirement to put your infant in a seat belt when the seat belt light goes on. That was enforced on every single flight.

Can I help you Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

I wouldn’t worry about taking a bassinet seat from anyone else, I have only seen two babies in First when they are twins. Only you know if you baby is going to sit in a car type seat, if they are not or you think they are too big you can choose another seat if you prefer.

newyorklondon Jul 10, 2018 2:23 am

Originally Posted by mrvincent (Post 29957333)
I've generally struggled to find useful information on old babies and bassinet seats. We're in F on 777/787 in Dec and currently have the official bassinet seats booked, but is there any point in doing this for a 20 month old, or are they going to be too big anyway? I don't want to take the bassinet from someone that may need it and would rather have a better seat for ourselves.

[Apologies for the hijacking]

Our son is eight months old, and we no longer use the bassinet seats in CW or F (because they are often not the best seats, with the exception of 64A on a 747). He sits and sleeps well with one of us in our seat. Also, if it's a turbulent flight, you don't need to keep getting up and down to put your infant into the seat belt.

Can I help you Jul 10, 2018 2:25 am

Originally Posted by newyorklondon (Post 29957341)
We've had the full range of responses to this from CC on over 20 BA flights in F & CW, long-haul, short-haul etc etc with our now eight-month old. I'm sure BA policy is exactly as CIHY says. Our experience, however, is that it really does vary quite dramatically (even between members of CC on the same flight). What didn't vary was the requirement to put your infant in a seat belt when the seat belt light goes on. That was enforced on every single flight.

I knew that this would be commented on, what I will say is if the crew do not take your child’s safely seriously I would hope that the parent would. An unsecured child would be like a rag doll in any turbulence and god forbid if there were a decompression.

newyorklondon Jul 10, 2018 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 29957350)

I knew that this would be commented on, what I will say is if the crew do not take your child’s safely seriously I would hope that the parent would. An unsecured child would be like a rag doll in any turbulence and god forbid if there were a decompression.

Hang on, the implication here is that we don't take our son's safety seriously, which we do. No judgement please!

andymcdonnell Jul 10, 2018 2:35 am

I know I’ll likely get vilified for saying this, but personally I don’t think there’s a place for infants in an F or J cabin. Between the possible disruption they may cause when someone has paid thousands of pounds so they can sleep on a flight and the fact that copious amounts of alcohol are being served, I personally don’t think it’s a good environment for a very small child.

I flew back from Chicago in J 2 years ago and a mother & father with 2 toddlers were also onboard. Both spent the entire overnight flight screaming with the father walking around the cabin trying to settle them as the mother ignored it. The crew were clearly exasperated but said nothing. The remainder of the business cabin were furious.

Im aware some airlines (MH?) limit children from their premium cabins, for me more airlines should be brave enough to take this step

Just my 2c

newyorklondon Jul 10, 2018 2:42 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 29957365)
I know I’ll likely get vilified for saying this, but personally I don’t think there’s a place for infants in an F or J cabin. Between the possible disruption they may cause when someone has paid thousands of pounds so they can sleep on a flight and the fact that copious amounts of alcohol are being served, I personally don’t think it’s a good environment for a very small child.

I flew back from Chicago in J 2 years ago and a mother & father with 2 toddlers were also onboard. Both spent the entire overnight flight screaming with the father walking around the cabin trying to settle them as the mother ignored it. The crew were clearly exasperated but said nothing. The remainder of the business cabin were furious.

Im aware some airlines (MH?) limit children from their premium cabins, for me more airlines should be brave enough to take this step

Just my 2c

Screaming babies are definitely annoying, but remember those are the ones that tend to get noticed and written about on forums such as this. There are many, many instances of quiet babies and infants in premium cabins, who simply go unnoticed.

Keep in mind that the parents might also have paid thousands of pounds, and would also quite like a quiet night. And let's not forget that the infant has been charged a fee too.

Personally, the most disruption to passengers and alarm caused to CC I've experienced in BA F has been from rowdy, inebriated adults. Give me the screaming infant over them anytime!

madfish Jul 10, 2018 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 29957350)

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean that I would leave them there unattended but that it would allow some freedom to move if you have both 1A and 1K. I don’t see this as any different to being sat on the seat. Although we know that it is recommended that seatbelts are fastened at all times. Not very practical with an infant.

Does the same rule apply in the middle CW seats where there are many posts about using this area? Personally I would be more worried about fingers getting trapped in seat mechanisms.

mrvincent Jul 10, 2018 2:49 am

Just my 2c

I disagree with you, in that we've flown in J/F on QF, MH, BA, AY, CX with our (then) 8 month old and it was great. He was delightful on every flight - and people commented on how lovely he was (I guess that they expected the worst!). BUT I realise that this the result of a mixture of factors from having a generally happy baby, deliberately well-timed flights, toys/activities for him and a generally relaxed (but attentive) attitude to dealing with him. It is where parents are not making an effort to help things that I dislike.

My big fear is a meltdown in December: the story of my brother's MEL-AUH flight in Y with his 18month old is making me worry.

madfish Jul 10, 2018 2:52 am

Just my 2c

Just a reminder that this is public transport. If you want a child free zone then fly private.

Perhaps we should ban alcohol on flights rather than children to stop copious amounts being drunk?

Children cry. It’s not a crying infant that is a problem but what the parent does or does not do about it. Besides I have had more problems with adults on flights than children.

newyorklondon Jul 10, 2018 2:52 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 29957390)
Just to clarify, I didn’t mean that I would leave them there unattended but that it would allow some freedom to move if you have both 1A and 1K. I don’t see this as any different to being sat on the seat.

That's exactly what we do, and it's very pleasant and pretty unobtrusive for other customers. The bigger point here is that - within what is permitted by CC on board - I really think how a parent parents on board a plane is up to them.