Baby Cot in F 747

Old Jul 10, 18, 2:54 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 17,163
Originally Posted by newyorklondon View Post
Hang on, the implication here is that we don't take our son's safety seriously, which we do. No judgement please!
That is not what I’m saying, I said that just because some crew ignore the safety rules a parent would only want their child to be safe and wouldn’t allow them on the floor loose. If you need to let them stretch their legs always hold on to them by both hands.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 3:57 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cheltenham
Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
Posts: 2,184
I would have thought row 5 would be much better for you. Nearer the galley and loos for convenience. Greater ability to pass the little one between you both and has the bassinet. Plus if there is another seat free one of you could shift for a little while and you then have a free seat next to you if that is helpful. 1AK are not good for dining together in and dont have that much free space.
simonsmith is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 4:17 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post
I would have thought row 5 would be much better for you. Nearer the galley and loos for convenience. Greater ability to pass the little one between you both and has the bassinet. Plus if there is another seat free one of you could shift for a little while and you then have a free seat next to you if that is helpful. 1AK are not good for dining together in and dont have that much free space.
We've tried 5EF on a 747, and 4EF on an A380. They are more convenient for the toilet, but also noisier. So their benefit might depend on if your infant is a light sleeper or not.

One thing not yet said is that the design for affixing the bassinet/baby seat in BA F seats is abysmal, seriously impeding the function and available space of the main seat.

Perhaps that's a deliberate ploy on BA's part: sort of going for MH light!

For parents, I'd say CW is a better overall experience, especially with a young baby.
newyorklondon is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:02 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 2,348
My view is that 5F is the marked seat, so this is really where a particularly young passenger should be seated with their parent/guardian. That's what it's designed for. And 5E is a great companion seat for a couple, with an easy-to-use divider.

As a passenger who is aware of the bassinet seating symbol on the map, as it is in any long-haul cabin, I specifically select my seat based on the knowledge that such a young passenger may be present.
mmxbreaks is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:06 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Our little one will be 14 months old at the time of flight next year.

With both 1A/1K available for the flight I'm looking at, I wondered how necessary it is that the Brittax goes into 5F. Will it fit in other seats for example?

The flight time would be around 7 hours each way, and we will likely have the travel buggy,

M
We had two rides in February on the 747 in F with our then 6 month year old. On the way out we had the seat fitted. This involves having an additional wooden shelf placed in front of you and the seat is mounted onto this. The shelf prevents you from opening the TV and the whole thing is rather intrusive to your space. I do have some pictures if you are interested.

In general, every flight we have taken with our son from 3 months until his current 10 month stage has "been the worst" due to less sleeping and more fidgeting / wanting to be exploring. Even at his 6 month state he spent very little time in the britax which was a bit of white elephant. We were lucky in that there was a free seat next to us which my wife took and we laid him down in her seat where he slept happily for a while.

I personally wouldn't bother with the britax except for a very young baby, better to have the space to deal with them and you always have the option of hanging out on the buddy seat if you need to lay them down to sleep in "your" bed.
newyorklondon likes this.
londonsmiler is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:27 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks View Post
My view is that 5F is the marked seat, so this is really where a particularly young passenger should be seated with their parent/guardian. That's what it's designed for. And 5E is a great companion seat for a couple, with an easy-to-use divider.

As a passenger who is aware of the bassinet seating symbol on the map, as it is in any long-haul cabin, I specifically select my seat based on the knowledge that such a young passenger may be present.
There are frequently more babies on a flight than there are seats with bassinet provision. It's especially noticeable in WT on a 787, where there are very few bassinet positions. Thus, those symbols simply mark where the fittings are for the bassinet/baby seat, if parents want to use one for their infant if that seat is still available. There is no obligation to do so, and many parents don't find the bassinet/baby seat particularly useful after a few months, so they just pick their preferred seats. In addition, parents might wish to buy a separate seat outright for their infant, which is something we've done before.

.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jul 10, 18 at 7:33 am
newyorklondon is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 8:21 am
  #22  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 8,170
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
No it only fits this seat. There is a table/bench that it fits on and this needs to be attached directly to the seating area which means that it has specific mountings that can only be found in this seat.

At 14 months you may want to look at the size of your child. Unless they are relatively small or certainly no more than average then I wouldnt think it was the most comfortable place. Our 1 year old was ok in it but other older daughter would never have been at that age.

Unless you think they will definetly sleep 1A/1k might be a better option as they can have room on the floor between the seats to play. And if they do sleep you could have dinner together.
Many thanks for the info about how the seat connects. The most I could find online was a short video, but it wasn't clear.

Both flights are night-flights, but I think I'll select 1A/K so we have our own little area.

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
I know Ill likely get vilified for saying this, but personally I dont think theres a place for infants in an F or J cabin. Between the possible disruption they may cause when someone has paid thousands of pounds so they can sleep on a flight and the fact that copious amounts of alcohol are being served, I personally dont think its a good environment for a very small child.

I flew back from Chicago in J 2 years ago and a mother & father with 2 toddlers were also onboard. Both spent the entire overnight flight screaming with the father walking around the cabin trying to settle them as the mother ignored it. The crew were clearly exasperated but said nothing. The remainder of the business cabin were furious.

Im aware some airlines (MH?) limit children from their premium cabins, for me more airlines should be brave enough to take this step

Just my 2c
I have nothing positive to say about your opinion, but you are of course entitled to it.

Originally Posted by newyorklondon View Post
We've tried 5EF on a 747, and 4EF on an A380. They are more convenient for the toilet, but also noisier. So their benefit might depend on if your infant is a light sleeper or not.

One thing not yet said is that the design for affixing the bassinet/baby seat in BA F seats is abysmal, seriously impeding the function and available space of the main seat.

Perhaps that's a deliberate ploy on BA's part: sort of going for MH light!

For parents, I'd say CW is a better overall experience, especially with a young baby.
Thanks for the comments on 5EF. I hadn't thought about the noise from the galley, but it's definitely a major consideration.

64A/B are options in J, but that means being upstairs, which means a narrow flight of stairs to navigate with the travel-buggy etc.

Originally Posted by londonsmiler View Post
We had two rides in February on the 747 in F with our then 6 month year old. On the way out we had the seat fitted. This involves having an additional wooden shelf placed in front of you and the seat is mounted onto this. The shelf prevents you from opening the TV and the whole thing is rather intrusive to your space. I do have some pictures if you are interested.

In general, every flight we have taken with our son from 3 months until his current 10 month stage has "been the worst" due to less sleeping and more fidgeting / wanting to be exploring. Even at his 6 month state he spent very little time in the britax which was a bit of white elephant. We were lucky in that there was a free seat next to us which my wife took and we laid him down in her seat where he slept happily for a while.

I personally wouldn't bother with the britax except for a very young baby, better to have the space to deal with them and you always have the option of hanging out on the buddy seat if you need to lay them down to sleep in "your" bed.
It sounds like the Brittax pretty much ruins any chance of relaxing for the adult passenger! Many many thanks for your helpful comments.

So, based on that, I think I'll move to 1A/K.

M
newyorklondon and madfish like this.
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 8:28 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
So, based on that, I think I'll move to 1A/K.

M
Enjoy!
newyorklondon is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:12 am
  #24  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,503
On the basis that people are suggesting 4E/F or 5E/F based onnaircraft type, can I also suggest considering the K seat instead of E. The reason being that you are on the same side of the aircraft which makes it easier for both parents to access the infant. Not so easy to do when in the E seat. Also should mean you are both looked after by the same member of cabin crew so can better co-ordinate your requirements.

Of course less of an issue if the OP goes for row 1.
madfish is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:22 am
  #25  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 8,170
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
On the basis that people are suggesting 4E/F or 5E/F based onnaircraft type, can I also suggest considering the K seat instead of E. The reason being that you are on the same side of the aircraft which makes it easier for both parents to access the infant. Not so easy to do when in the E seat. Also should mean you are both looked after by the same member of cabin crew so can better co-ordinate your requirements.

Of course less of an issue if the OP goes for row 1.
Currently I've done exactly that - 4F/K (777) and 5F/K (747) - but I'll move to 1A/K for the 747 shortly.

M
newyorklondon likes this.
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:23 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,163
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Many thanks for the info about how the seat connects. The most I could find online was a short video, but it wasn't clear.

Both flights are night-flights, but I think I'll select 1A/K so we have our own little area.



I have nothing positive to say about your opinion, but you are of course entitled to it.



Thanks for the comments on 5EF. I hadn't thought about the noise from the galley, but it's definitely a major consideration.

64A/B are options in J, but that means being upstairs, which means a narrow flight of stairs to navigate with the travel-buggy etc.



It sounds like the Brittax pretty much ruins any chance of relaxing for the adult passenger! Many many thanks for your helpful comments.

So, based on that, I think I'll move to 1A/K.

M
So youre of a view that the Brittax ruins the chance of you relaxing but you dont consider you bringing an infant into a premium cabin may ruin the chances of me sat behind you being ruined? Exactly why I feel the airline should have a policy.

You have chosen to have a child. I hope you get to enjoy all of the fantastic moments in life it will provide. I wont get to enjoy any of them. Youre decision which entirely is based around your own comfort (the child wont know if its in Y or F) may however mean I have to endure one of the not so fantastic sides of infants.

Yes I hear people about adults potentially being disruptive, especially with drink involved. There are laws, penalties and airline policies to deal with this. Wheres the laws & penalties for a child screaming for 12 hours or their parent allowing it?

Like so many things in this world we live in, political correctness cannot be challenged. This isnt about a child being allowed in a premium cabin, its about a parent of a young child seeing how it could disrupt many more people and thinking of those peoples comfort rather than just their own. In the same way a screaming toddler shouldnt be in a pub as their parents enjoy themselves as a pub is not a suitable environment for a child, not a premium cabin
andymcdonnell is online now  
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:01 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post


So you’re of a view that the Brittax ruins the chance of you relaxing but you don’t consider you bringing an infant into a premium cabin may ruin the chances of me sat behind you being ruined? Exactly why I feel the airline should have a policy.

You have chosen to have a child. I hope you get to enjoy all of the fantastic moments in life it will provide. I won’t get to enjoy any of them. You’re decision which entirely is based around your own comfort (the child won’t know if it’s in Y or F) may however mean I have to endure one of the not so fantastic sides of infants.

Yes I hear people about adults potentially being disruptive, especially with drink involved. There are laws, penalties and airline policies to deal with this. Where’s the laws & penalties for a child screaming for 12 hours or their parent allowing it?

Like so many things in this world we live in, political correctness cannot be challenged. This isn’t about a child being allowed in a premium cabin, it’s about a parent of a young child seeing how it could disrupt many more people and thinking of those peoples comfort rather than just their own. In the same way a screaming toddler shouldn’t be in a pub as their parents enjoy themselves as a pub is not a suitable environment for a child, not a premium cabin

Keep in mind, this is a BA forum, and BA permits infants in all cabins, so general conjecture is a moot point.

There are many things not in your control, which might infringe upon your enjoyment of flying. In my fantasy life, I wish there was some method of barring people who haven't washed recently from sitting anywhere near me. But to extrapolate your point into my fantasy one, the actual issue would be that I don't mind smelly people in Y, just not in J or F. Now that, to me, makes no sense - even in my fantasy existence.

If you feel really strongly about it, head over to the MH board. MH is the only airline (AFAIK) which bans infants from First Class, and has done for years (I think). Clearly this is a policy which has not been adopted industry-wide, and probably for good reason: the bottom line. It pays to be a family-friendly airline across all cabins. It's really not political correctness; I don't feel infants have a moral right to be in BA in premium cabins, but they are fully permitted to do so. And that keeps me flying BA with my family.

I genuinely can't imagine the wording of a law banning children crying on airlines.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jul 10, 18 at 10:12 am
newyorklondon is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:12 am
  #28  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 8,170
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post


So youre of a view that the Brittax ruins the chance of you relaxing but you dont consider you bringing an infant into a premium cabin may ruin the chances of me sat behind you being ruined? Exactly why I feel the airline should have a policy.

You have chosen to have a child. I hope you get to enjoy all of the fantastic moments in life it will provide. I wont get to enjoy any of them. Youre decision which entirely is based around your own comfort (the child wont know if its in Y or F) may however mean I have to endure one of the not so fantastic sides of infants.

Yes I hear people about adults potentially being disruptive, especially with drink involved. There are laws, penalties and airline policies to deal with this. Wheres the laws & penalties for a child screaming for 12 hours or their parent allowing it?

Like so many things in this world we live in, political correctness cannot be challenged. This isnt about a child being allowed in a premium cabin, its about a parent of a young child seeing how it could disrupt many more people and thinking of those peoples comfort rather than just their own. In the same way a screaming toddler shouldnt be in a pub as their parents enjoy themselves as a pub is not a suitable environment for a child, not a premium cabin
Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

However, kindly stop trying to veer this thread off-topic.

I asked a set of specific questions, and many have provided very helpful comments. You have not, so perhaps start your own thread regarding your issue.

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 11:47 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post


So youre of a view that the Brittax ruins the chance of you relaxing but you dont consider you bringing an infant into a premium cabin may ruin the chances of me sat behind you being ruined? Exactly why I feel the airline should have a policy.

You have chosen to have a child. I hope you get to enjoy all of the fantastic moments in life it will provide. I wont get to enjoy any of them. Youre decision which entirely is based around your own comfort (the child wont know if its in Y or F) may however mean I have to endure one of the not so fantastic sides of infants.

Yes I hear people about adults potentially being disruptive, especially with drink involved. There are laws, penalties and airline policies to deal with this. Wheres the laws & penalties for a child screaming for 12 hours or their parent allowing it?

Like so many things in this world we live in, political correctness cannot be challenged. This isnt about a child being allowed in a premium cabin, its about a parent of a young child seeing how it could disrupt many more people and thinking of those peoples comfort rather than just their own. In the same way a screaming toddler shouldnt be in a pub as their parents enjoy themselves as a pub is not a suitable environment for a child, not a premium cabin
Sounds like you could ruin anyone's experience sat behind them, whether they have an infant with them or not. It's public transportation- either fly MH or charter a plane if you want to control who sits around you.

If your concern is "...seeing how it could disrupt many more people and thinking of those peoples comfort...", wouldn't banishing babies to economy class ensure the disruption of "many more people"?
madfish likes this.
Kent is offline  
Old Jul 10, 18, 12:48 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 629
I like the way that some people think a baby crying is something you can just switch off.

@andymcdonnell - its really not. Its not a case of parents allowing it - there are some situations where, despite the best efforts of parents - you cant stop the crying. It might be pain, ear pressure, unfamiliar environment- who knows?

im afraid you just have to deal with it. Such is life.
secretplantofightinflation is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread