BA cutting down on ARN capacity?

Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

BA cutting down on ARN capacity?

Have a LAX-ARN round trip booked in DEC/JAN and have been notified of a scheduled change due to the cancellation of a LHR-ARN rotation. Checking the schedule it seems that from 2 January LHR-ARN goes down to 4 rotations, and during some weekends only down to 3 rotations. Currently they fly 5-6 rotations each day with one of them on the 767. From January onwards it is all A32S and at most 4 rotations. What is the reason for this capacity cut?

Last edited by B747forever; Jul 9, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:36 pm

767 all going to be gone by November this year, don't know what they being replaced with
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
It’s a seasonal thing. Demand is reduced in winter with similar business needs but lower tourist needs. It has happened in previous years already on this route and normally the middle of the day rotation disappears (circa 10am departure from LHR and 3pm back from ARN), probably redeployed towards warmer climes (BCN) or ski destinations (GVA). 5 rotations should resume from April onwards.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've been affected by this too as - was due to fly out on the mid-morning departure in January but have been pushed back to the 1325. This means I'll now be doing a back-to-back at ARN. Any recent experiences re this or is it still the same as reported on the back-to-back thread? ie press the intercom at the door marked "Gates 70-82" and wait for someone to come and let you through?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I can understand the reduction of 1-2 flights, but this is close to a 50% reduction of frequency on top of the capacity reduction with the 767 being withdrawn. Was just surprised to see such a big reduction in seats offered.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by B747forever
Thanks for the replies.

I can understand the reduction of 1-2 flights, but this is close to a 50% reduction of frequency on top of the capacity reduction with the 767 being withdrawn. Was just surprised to see such a big reduction in seats offered.
The 767 is rarely more than half full on that route.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nd100
CE has normally been completely rammed when I've taken it on this route. ET possibly less so.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
BA Cutting down on ARN capacity

I understood that the reason for a 767 on that route was a guarantee to Volvo and Ericsson on cargo capacity. With a fall back to only A32s on that route this could be in jeopardy and they may need to put at least one bigger aircraft on to replace the lost cargo capacity.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I've never understood why they put the 767 on that route as it is always less the half full. Cargo perhaps? Even the A320s are usually less then packed IME.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by philthegreek
I understood that the reason for a 767 on that route was a guarantee to Volvo and Ericsson on cargo capacity. With a fall back to only A32s on that route this could be in jeopardy and they may need to put at least one bigger aircraft on to replace the lost cargo capacity.
Thank you for your insight!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by philthegreek
Interesting, but isn't Volvo in GOT?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I get it with seasonal adjustments to schedules but surely this is well known in advance. It's always been a thinner schedule in winter but here it sounds like originally scheduled rotations have been removed. This would not just be a summer/winter thing but perhaps fewer advance bookings for winter than originally expected. Or, perhaps, unexpected increase in demand elsewhere more lucrative.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by gordon0808
I've never understood why they put the 767 on that route as it is always less the half full. Cargo perhaps? Even the A320s are usually less then packed IME.
IME the LHR-ARN flights are normally rammed but then I normally either get the mid morning or late evening flight to ARN. There is a hell of lot of ARN connecting traffic to/from the US.

Interesting, but isn't Volvo in GOT?
Might be Scania who are nearer Stockholm?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by gordon0808
it’s full in summer with ‘boat people’. Winter is different- often subed by a 319 with seats to spare.
SAS and Norwegian are still running a useful schedule so the OP might be better off cancelling and using United/SAS instead.

alternatively fully cancel and just fly SAS from LA. The SAS long haul product is excellent as well.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
IME the LHR-ARN flights are normally rammed but then I normally either get the mid morning or late evening flight to ARN. There is a hell of lot of ARN connecting traffic to/from the US.
Indeed, and those are the A319 or 320 rotations. The 767 is in the afternoon and I've never seen it anywhere near full.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.