Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded to CE then ignored for meal service...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Partner (BA Gold) was upgraded on a domestic flight today (lounge entry upgrade & new BP). Pleasant surprise & happy to move from pre assigned chosen seat in ET.

Once on the flight crew distributed menus to every other passenger except partner. No ‘sorry we have run out of food’ or any apology/explanation. Just ignored & felt incredibly awkward & embarrassed by this. Got given a drink but nothing else.

Is this normal to be treated as a lower class of J when upgraded? If you knew that was the treatment you’d get you’d refuse to move from your chosen seat! Have advised a complaint as although small it seems unacceptable to me.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExLON or elsewhere ?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Was a domestic into LCY
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I think you can be told discretely that you will not be given meal of choice or if meals not loaded or cannot accommodate a last minute up grade. Others will know better and respond I am sure. A recent at gate up grade for me resulted in meal and champagne flow on GLA-LHR much to my pleasure to be honest.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I’ve had it a few times from outstations, but always been advised of the meal loading issue beforehand. It’s never been a problem for me in these circumstances. and I expect it was the surprise onboard from what you described that has left the feeling behind.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If this was a flight to London then the usual protocol is for the upgrade agent to explain there is no food catering with the upgrade, and then the SCCM on board to confirm that. Moreover if there is no catering available then the passenger is supposed to be offered food from the BoB menu as a replacement. There shouldn't be an issue with drinks, as was the case here. The only reason why an explanation would not be forthcoming would be if the passenger was either staff or on a staff concession. I've seen the SCCM explanation a few times so I know if happens, but if this wasn't properly explained then that would be a service failure. It your partner noted the SCCM name and flight details then I would complain so it could be brought to his/her attention.

Since this was LCY then there wouldn't be BoB, but at least the ET food (presumably biscuit, crisps or popcorn) should have been offered.
DocS and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I’ve had it a few times from outstations, but always been advised of the meal loading issue beforehand. It’s never been a problem for me in these circumstances. and I expect it was the surprise onboard from what you described that has left the feeling behind.
Absolutely - it was the being actively ignored whilst sat in 1A and seat neighbour given a menu and welcome that was upsetting.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If this was a flight to London then the usual protocol is for the upgrade agent to explain there is no food catering with the upgrade, and then the SCCM on board to confirm that. Moreover if there is no catering available then the passenger is supposed to be offered food from the BoB menu as a replacement. There shouldn't be an issue with drinks, as was the case here. The only reason why an explanation would not be forthcoming would be if the passenger was either staff or on a staff concession. I've seen the SCCM explanation a few times so I know if happens, but if this wasn't properly explained then that would be a service failure. It your partner noted the SCCM name and flight details then I would complain so it could be brought to his/her attention.

Since this was LCY then there wouldn't be BoB, but at least the ET food (presumably biscuit, crisps or popcorn) should have been offered.
Thanks as ever C-W-S - that would have been totally understandable and well received. It was the active effort to ignore a passenger in 1A that caused distress. Think the embarrassment meant there was no easy way to raise with cabin crew at the time. Sounds like a gentle complaint is in order.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DocS

Absolutely - it was the being actively ignored whilst sat in 1A and seat neighbour given a menu and welcome that was upsetting.
The passengers around you might have assumed that you were some very high level BA executive to be permitted to travel in CE and in fact in seat 1A.
nivsy likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:33 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This was badly handled. It is difficult when they put someone in CE when there is no meal for them. Once upon a time, if there was no meal there was no upgrade. Now this has changed it would seem. They should have told him that before he was boarded, and they should have got him a substitue or given him Avios to buy if they’re doing that in or out or LCY.
DocS and BOStonTravels like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:38 pm

I am not a computer person but I wonder Fly could be programmed to print something when the upgrade happens saying catering not guaranteed.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, it is embarassing. For BA. Not for OP.

BA handled this poorly. When it cannot handle catering, it is incumbent on BA to make this explicit in advance.

Few carriers these days are so parsimonious that they can't cater enough for possible UG's. But, BA remains in that tiny minority.
Kgmm77, thoshoe, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Often1
Few carriers these days are so parsimonious that they can't cater enough for possible UG's. But, BA remains in that tiny minority.
They sadly sometimes cannot cater for all the passengers even without op-ups either, although I believe (and hope) it is not a hugely common occurrence.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I am not a computer person but I wonder Fly could be programmed to print something when the upgrade happens saying catering not guaranteed.
not a printed out notice, but when the new bp is printed a message does come up on FLY which prompts the agent to inform the passenger no catering would be available.

Having said that, every time I have been told at the gate I had been upgraded to CE and wasn’t getting fed, I have actually been given a meal onboard.
rapidex likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
The vastly polar opposite experience with BA CE, especially domestic, astounds me it is allowed to be so inconsistent in its delivery. I travel the Manchester route weekly, and every week the service is delivered differently at every level. From the niceties of just getting a Gold welcome( or not) to the efficiency of pulling the cart up the 6 rows and back in the 20 minutes, to whether you get a hot or cold towel, or even a choice of towels in the current weather! But you know on this route I’m just after the tier points, so do a lot of grinning and just bear it.

Last week I did a last minute change from LHR to the Thursday LCY flight to MAN. Yeah great food choice but the CSM purposefully avoided any eye contact or awareness of her cabin. (I was in Row 1) just totally switched off. But then I realised afterwards she was probably not looking forward to her onward flight to Ibiza after we landed. She was counting the retained champagne bottles at one point, not so sure why for an Ibiza flight. Why bother turning up for work at all with that mentality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.