Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded to CE then ignored for meal service...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded to CE then ignored for meal service...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:19 am

Couldn't they just have a couple of ambient snack trays stowed away to cater for situations like this? It's pretty poor.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is, and to BA staffers that is an entirely different company to BA, albeit one that is 100% owned by BA. For us customers BACF is the same thing, it is the face of British Airways, but in reality the service offering and style of BACF has always been very different to BA LHR or LGW. The advent of BoB and the apparent fact that it is not going to happen on BACF drives a firm wedge between the two parts of shorthaul flying. I do wish BA would create better career paths between BA and BACF but in the absence of that BACF is an increasingly bespoke outfit.
Agree on this. A friend of mine is a CSM on BACF. He said to move to mainline, effectively he has to apply as a complete outsider and retrain.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Talking

All LCY-STN flights get menus, .......
It would hardly be worth bringing the gear up, let alone distributing menus to chose your meal from!!
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
An OpUp for a Gold on an LCY flight without being given the catering is basically not an upgrade, it's just being moved to a different seat!
Exactly - and possibly a much worse seat. I posted recently on another thread about my own experience of this ex-LHR - including the ignoring bit.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:45 am

Ah, I see what's happened here. OP was accidentally given the new Diet OpUp, which is a new initiative unveiled by BA only last week.
wrp96, smokie36 and lavajava like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
There shouldn't be an issue with drinks, as was the case here.
This was a few years ago now, but it still irritates from its pettiness: I was upgraded as a gold to CE on an evening departure out of LCY. The SCCM served me first and loudly said "I know you were upgraded so here's your Euro Traveller snack" and she served my drink in a plastic cup.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by lavajava
Exactly - and possibly a much worse seat. I posted recently on another thread about my own experience of this ex-LHR - including the ignoring bit.
At least for LHR you get the guaranteed (rather than theoretical) blocked middle seat and possibly the table, there is literally no difference between ET and CE hard product on an LCY flight other than being slightly further forward than you would have been before. You're not even getting free drinks as an extra as you get those in ET anyway - I suppose if you're desperate for champagne then that's on offer. It basically boils down to (possibly) getting a hot towel and drinks in glasses rather than plastic cups!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I guess what the OP has highlighted here is the commercial mindset which informs such policy decisions.

You can either -

a) create a whole procedure for those pax who will supposedly benefit from a late CE ‘upgrade’ : notification, both at the time of upgrade and then again onboard, that there will be no CE meal offered ; and then the offer of something from BoB supplies.
This is the BA way - in theory, at least. But we know that in practice these procedures are not always followed ; and surprise, surprise, such failure can result in a (wholly-avoidable) sense of grievance on the part of the passenger/s involved.

or

b) keep things simple : ensure that every flight is loaded with a couple of spare meal trays.
This is not the BA way. It would cost maybe around £5 or so. And there, in a nutshell, is why it doesn’t happen.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
An OpUp for a Gold on an LCY flight without being given the catering is basically not an upgrade, it's just being moved to a different seat!
you supposedly get an extended drinks choice, and champagne.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't fly that much short-haul and much of it is back-to-backs to AMS, but it always seems to me that quite a few pax decline a meal completely. So presumably this is one of those things that often/usually works out OK, but sometimes the late bookers and the op-ups really don't get a chance.

The last time I started an AMS back-to-back, I heard the CSM saying to several passengers that there might not be a meal for them because they had booked late. It was done politely and tactfully, and that I think is what ought to happen (having seen it before as well). I was in CE in both directions, so I asked her to do everyone else in the cabin first, and then I'd have something if there was anything left - and there was, so quite a few people must have declined.
yes, it seems when i am fed on an opup short haul (for my sins most of my flights are short haul rather than long haul) it may be because others are not eating or if it is the return leg there is a meal left from the outbound I can have.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Menu on today’s 8715 1040 EDI-LCY.
All LCY-STN flights get menus, in a somewhat different style to LHR or LGW, and indeed a different rotation series to LHR/LGW. That includes domestics. For LHR and LGW the menu is only issued for Long flights and to some extent that is understandable - on Short / Mediums it is currently a simple choice between some sort of salad or some sort of panini dish. For Long routes the two hot meals probably need more detail and more consideration.
Just for reference, a recent lunchtime BACF menu EDI-LCY. SCCM was the same as on my first ever CE flight and the reason I signed up to BAEC!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I got an OpUp last night LCY-EDI, happens occasionally on this route at peak times, especially in summer. No menus were distributed, and then service was first offered to two ‘real’ CE passengers, which made sense, and then to three BA staff in full uniform who were re-positioning due to IRROPs.

It was clear that myself and the other OpUp only got offered a meal because two of the staff turned it down. I did not even want a meal, and would have gladly not eaten for one of the staff to do so - but the way it was handled was really awkward because we were all mixed throughout the cabin. Would have much preferred a sensible conversation with the crew - if I did not know to expect this messing about from this board I would have had no idea what was going on!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
These upgrades are not really upgrades then are they? Indeed, if being "upgraded" out of an ET exit seat you could argue that it is in fact a downgrade. The meal is the only difference between CE and ET on these routes and unless going to the first row, there is no seating improvement from an upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
These upgrades are not really upgrades then are they? Indeed, if being "upgraded" out of an ET exit seat you could argue that it is in fact a downgrade.........................
It’s a fair point.

A move from an exit row in Y to a CE seat providing less legroom (whilst quite possibly being ignored during meal service, as was the OP) could perhaps be more attractive if you were offered some form of compensation, whether in the form of cash or Avios.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
These upgrades are not really upgrades then are they? Indeed, if being "upgraded" out of an ET exit seat you could argue that it is in fact a downgrade. The meal is the only difference between CE and ET on these routes and unless going to the first row, there is no seating improvement from an upgrade.
so let’s be clear. The poster gets a row 1 seat and more overhead space and off the plane quicker, still gets access to a non bob bar service and still moans.

They got something for nothing and yet still moan about not getting something they never paid for.

I think a quick reality check is needed for all here.

If I was BA then I’d make the OP a NSFU in future. You really can’t claim entitlement to something you never paid for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.