Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call bell failure on 767 ZRH - LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Wow.. Serious matter.

What if someone had died in the middle of the flight and a passenger had to notify a crew member?
It would be a serious matter if someone was having a medical episode and a fellow passenger felt it was right to rely on the call bell?

You have lost me there I'm afraid.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
Hi all. Needed a cheeky day trip yesterday to renew my Gold and I was "lucky" to score a 767 for the return leg ZRH - LHR. It was 90 minutes late and (after Poug-ing to CE for the return) the service was pretty awful too but that's for another post.... Even the crew-member seemed embarrassed to only be able to offer the chicken salad...

What was interesting was an announcement just as boarding completed that the call bell and reading light system was broken, so we would need to attract the crew's attention in other ways if we needed them. I'm hardly a timid introvert when it comes to in-flight safety and suchlike, but this struck me as quite a serious system for the captain to be happy flying without? Obviously nothing happened, and obviously I'm happy to be back rather than having to overnight in Zurich from the plane going tech, but I'd imagine a call bell system is pretty important and its a marginal decision to fly without it?
This is why the rocket flare gun was invented. Also parrots if their wings are not clipped can fly up and ask for attention vs. you.
I don't get why it's a serious system unless the entire plane is occupied by mimes.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
200 people ringing one bell? How would that work?
Firstly, wave your arms to attract the attention of a passing member of cabin crew and ask them to pass you the bell. Once you have the bell you can ring it to attract attention (should you be one of those people who likes attracting attention) of a member of cabin crew and ask them for what you require.

Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by madfish

Firstly, wave your arms to attract the attention of a passing member of cabin crew and ask them to pass you the bell. Once you have the bell you can ring it to attract attention (should you be one of those people who likes attracting attention) of a member of cabin crew and ask them for what you require.

Should Golds etc be allowed to ring first? Presumably there would be a need to avoid bad etiquette on the status front
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I was on a 767 last year LHR - GLA in CE, when I boarded and took my I seat, I immediately noticed that the reading light above me was going on/off in disco mode and my call bell wouldn’t work. I had to attract the attention of the cabin crew who were very apologetic and tried to reset the system to no avail, I saw the funny side and was treated to several G&Ts on the short flight in lieu of the minor annoyance, by the time I had landed in GLA, I could care less about the disco above my head. 😃

Sadly, these old birds are just limping towards the finish line, though I’ll miss flying them when they eventually go.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

Should Golds etc be allowed to ring first? Presumably there would be a need to avoid bad etiquette on the status front
Certainly not.

Get a bronze to ring it for you!
rapidex likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Just wave your GGL and CCR cards and shout "DYKWIA!?" as loud as you can to assert dominance over your fellow passengers. Works great and you'll be mentioned on FT soon afterwards.
Keep it Riel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.