Call bell failure on 767 ZRH - LHR

Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Call bell failure on 767 ZRH - LHR

Hi all. Needed a cheeky day trip yesterday to renew my Gold and I was "lucky" to score a 767 for the return leg ZRH - LHR. It was 90 minutes late and (after Poug-ing to CE for the return) the service was pretty awful too but that's for another post.... Even the crew-member seemed embarrassed to only be able to offer the chicken salad...

What was interesting was an announcement just as boarding completed that the call bell and reading light system was broken, so we would need to attract the crew's attention in other ways if we needed them. I'm hardly a timid introvert when it comes to in-flight safety and suchlike, but this struck me as quite a serious system for the captain to be happy flying without? Obviously nothing happened, and obviously I'm happy to be back rather than having to overnight in Zurich from the plane going tech, but I'd imagine a call bell system is pretty important and its a marginal decision to fly without it?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
Hi all. Needed a cheeky day trip yesterday to renew my Gold and I was "lucky" to score a 767 for the return leg ZRH - LHR. It was 90 minutes late and (after Poug-ing to CE for the return) the service was pretty awful too but that's for another post.... Even the crew-member seemed embarrassed to only be able to offer the chicken salad...

What was interesting was an announcement just as boarding completed that the call bell and reading light system was broken, so we would need to attract the crew's attention in other ways if we needed them. I'm hardly a timid introvert when it comes to in-flight safety and suchlike, but this struck me as quite a serious system for the captain to be happy flying without? Obviously nothing happened, and obviously I'm happy to be back rather than having to overnight in Zurich from the plane going tech, but I'd imagine a call bell system is pretty important and its a marginal decision to fly without it?
The call bell system is irrelevant and not mentioned in the Minimum Equipment List, unlike the PA which does have a section.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
In my recent experience on 767s, the number of times the call bell sounds has no correlation to how often passengers need the cabin crew for something.

After a full 10 minutes of disco lights and constant ding-ing, I think most of us were delighted when the system was "reset" i.e. disabled, along with the reading lights
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
The call bell system is irrelevant and not mentioned in the Minimum Equipment List, unlike the PA which does have a section.
It used to be that if something wasn’t mentioned in the MEL then it had to be serviceable. For instance wings were not mentioned.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel

i was also in Zurich yesterday and booked on this flight. The aircraft went to Nice and Back during the day. I found out about the delay just as I got to Heathrow. Fearing French ATC I asked the cause and was told it was eventually weather,

After a slot delay on the abound I too got worried about being stranded and the ZRH team switched me to the LCY flight but it turns out this aircraft had a technical issue and repair in between the Nice and Zürich rotations.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The item is not in the MEL. That leaves a "policy" choice for BA. Either cancel the flight (or perhaps delay it to locate a replacement aircraft and perhaps crew) or have passengers who can't survive without either flagging down a crew member or walking to the galley, having their life ruined. In an emergency, shouting "Help !" ought to work as well.

There are a lot of minor convenience items on aircraft which, when non-functioning, do not affect safety.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The item is not in the MEL. That leaves a "policy" choice for BA. Either cancel the flight (or perhaps delay it to locate a replacement aircraft and perhaps crew) or have passengers who can't survive without either flagging down a crew member or walking to the galley, having their life ruined. In an emergency, shouting "Help !" ought to work as well.

There are a lot of minor convenience items on aircraft which, when non-functioning, do not affect safety.
Yeah I suspect the reading lights and passenger call bell count as Non-Essential Furnishings or whatever the current EASA equivalent is. For BA I'd be surprised if there isn't an extensive list of guidance for the crew as to what is and isn't acceptable.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wish the reading lights on all aircraft didn't work so I could see out of the window properly at night!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker

It used to be that if something wasn’t mentioned in the MEL then it had to be serviceable. For instance wings were not mentioned.
Fortunately common sense covers that item.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Iv'e got one of the round bells that hotels used have on the reception desk I don't mind hiring out if BA are interested
John
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thejohn
Iv'e got one of the round bells that hotels used have on the reception desk I don't mind hiring out if BA are interested
John
can you imagine 200 people use it at the same time?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
can you imagine 200 people use it at the same time?
200 people ringing one bell? How would that work?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:19 pm

I do not have access to the 767 MEL but the passenger call bell is covered under the SH Airbus MEL. It could als be placed under the tag Passenger Convenience Items, or just the good old faithful Non-Airworthiness Items.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: none
Wow.. Serious matter.

What if someone had died in the middle of the flight and a passenger had to notify a crew member?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Wow.. Serious matter.

What if someone had died in the middle of the flight and a passenger had to notify a crew member?
open their mouth and speak?

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 9, 2018 at 3:06 pm Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.