Accident in GF

Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I am so sorry your son was burned, what an awful thing to happen anywhere. I hope his injuries heal well without further problems.

That staff did not immediately help is really unacceptable. Even if they didn't actually know what happened, the screams of a child in pain should have never been ignored.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by dwugson
I disagree. Accidents are caused by a variety of issues which together lead to the event, no one person or thing is to blame. The main thing now is to make sure your son gets good care and that BA helps you with your trip - legal action or event the threat of it is counterproductive. There are several issues at play all of which can mostly likely be altered to reduce chances of this occurring again, The response of the staff in the lounge and possible training of how to handle this type of situation is another aspect that needs to be dealt with. I hope that BA will analyze all aspects of this accident and let the OP know what measures are being taken to prevent this re-occurring. A non punitive approach is a far better way of preventing further incidents such as this. Please let us know how your son is doing - joining others in thinking of you.
According to the lounge staff, accidents of this kind have happened at this location in the past and nothing has been done to fix the problem. Sometimes it takes a hefty lawsuit to focus a company's attention on an issue.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cruisr
OP, I do hope your son recovers quickly and without any complications. I am also extremely impressed as if this happened in a US lounge the topic of Lawsuit would have probably been floated in the second or third post.

Why does that impress you? I was baffled as to why that wasnt suggested in the initial response.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by DCP2016
While I don't know how things work in the UK when all is said and done OP I would strongly look at filing a lawsuit and getting those involved fired. I really hope your son fully recovers both physically and mentally.
Really, fired? Bloody hell I would not like to work for you Sir. We know nothing of the exact circumstances here and I am going to throw up one possible scenario. Staff member leaves kitchen carrying large pot full of hot porridge, scans area as they go but fails to see small child in the way due to the child's height and is therefore obscured to staff member by the pot they are carrying. As I say this is purely a possible explanation for what has occurred, at this stage nobody knows for sure but calling for person or persons to be fired is ludicrous.

Much more importantly than any of that, my best wishes to the young lad for a full and speedy recovery and hopefully a successful resolution to the trip for the OP when it is appropriate for them all to travel.
flygirl68 and etiene like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HilFly
According to the lounge staff, accidents of this kind have happened at this location in the past and nothing has been done to fix the problem. Sometimes it takes a hefty lawsuit to focus a company's attention on an issue.
The Parents and most FTers have it right, concentrate on comforting their poor kid and getting fast remedial + medical treatment. I really wish that either the USA type no-fault ambulance chasing legal schemes had never been enabled in the UK, or instead limited to a subset of small areas where joe public was unable to get fair legal treatment.

Regards fault and legal claims for compo, against any of following being fully/partially at fault/liable, ie BA , Food Contractors, Kid, Parents for lack of supervision, then unless captured on cctv (doubtful) or have independent winesses, we are in he said/they said game, for all we know the child could have walked into the caterer and not the other way around.

I for one would not allow a young child to wander round the hot-food self-serve area and would expect to fetch for kids I was supervising in lounges etc, though all kids like to be independent and choose for themselves, in which case I'd accompany a young child and carry any hot food chosen back myself.
The difference between lounges & restaurant is the number of people , not just staff but guests, walking to+fro carrying hot food+drinks, and for a small child an accident waiting to happen, either child on the receiving end as in this case, or the child dumping their hot f+b stuff on another guest.
mrow likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by sts603

Why does that impress you? I was baffled as to why that wasnt suggested in the initial response.
I guess because I live in a very litigious society where everybody sues everbody. My friends in the UK (some barristers and some solicitors) are always amazed at all the lawsuits that are brought in the US. If this happened in the US before the paramedics arrived I am sure one would have heard the words sue or lawsuit bandied about.

I also hope that once the dust settles and the son is feeling well OP will review his legal options. Most importamt thing is to make sure the child is fine.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:02 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Exclamation Mod advisory #2

We are beginning to stray towards a blame game again, which - whilst currently just about within limits - is not helpful to the OP in his current situation.

Please continue to treat this with a high degree of sensitivity, and lets not ever forget we have a young boy who was, and perhaps still is, in a great deal of pain, plus a set of parents who must have been incredibly concerned at the time and now have the difficulty of dealing with the aftermath.

We ask you to show them the sensitivity and respect they need and deserve.

/mod
ConfusedByBAEC likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I must have just missed this yesterday as I entered the lounge at 6.40am and when I sat down at one of the tables there was an ice bucket on the table a Bazter Storey lounge host and a BA staff member with a Silver CSM/CSD style tie.

I hope your little boy is ok. The NHS are wonderful and he will get the care and treatment he needs. Clearly not knowing or seeing what happened it’s difficult to comment but I noticed yesterday all staff replenishing from trolleys so don’t know if this is a knock on affect.

Again. not wanting to cause aspersions, I think there are signs that say children need to be accompanied and the number of times I see unaccounted children going to the buffet is endless. Indeed whilst I was sitting in the computer area above the A21/22 gates a girl under the age of 10 I’d imagine was coming back to her family trailing the contents of her breakfast by the champagne bar.

Speedy recovery for your son.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It's been a while since I have been to the GF; is the door to the kitchen solid, or does it have a window to allow staff coming from the kitchen to see anyone who may be on the other side of the door?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
There are a number of posts that point to the idea that this involved a ‘small’ child. I think this is somewhat distracting. Without knowing for definite, we don’t know the size of the OP’s child. They may be small are they may be big for their age. There are certainly 8 year olds who are bigger than some ‘adults’. Size could therefore be irrelevant. Unless we are going to stop people entering the area who do not reach a certain height. Would we be using height as an excuse if this had happened to an adult who was short in stature?

Perhaps the comments relating to child are based on maturity and awareness levels? Maybe, but again there are a lot of older people who can be less aware of others around them than an 8 year old.

As for those demanding the child is supervised, let’s remember there are levels of supervision. Letting a child have free reign around the buffet is very different to them carrying something back to a table. I wonder if some of these comments are from people who have little experience of children or perhaps they simply have ‘angel’ children?

Ultimately, the responsibility for this has to rest with BA/Lounge. If the child had had an item spilt on them by a customer this would be a limited amount. However, we are talking about what could be a large quantity here which would only ever happen with staff. I wonder if perhaps the staff member was meant to use a trolley but for convenience sake choose not to. There are certainly trolleys in GF that could have been used.

Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
If the child had had an item spilt on them by a customer this would be a limited amount. However, we are talking about what could be a large quantity here which would only ever happen with staff. I wonder if perhaps the staff member was meant to use a trolley but for convenience sake choose not to.
I don't think speculation is helpful to anyone. A child has been injured, and the first concern must be that he is alright. Beyond that... sometimes accidents just happen.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCP2016
While I don't know how things work in the UK when all is said and done OP I would strongly look at filing a lawsuit and getting those involved fired. I really hope your son fully recovers both physically and mentally.
I am all for hugging a lawyer but does everyone really need to sue everyone just to prove a point. accidents happen all the time spending money on lawyers isnt always the answer. They are paid enough anyway,

I just hope everyone is okay and recovers quickly.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I don't think speculation is helpful to anyone. A child has been injured, and the first concern must be that he is alright. Beyond that... sometimes accidents just happen.
I wasnt there so you are right, this is just speculation. However, to just be willing to accept that accidents do just sometimes happen is also not helpful. That doesnt mean that it shouldnt be investigated and an attempt be made to find out exactly what happened and how similar instances could be prevented in the future. Yes, no matter what procedures and protocols you put in place accidents do happen but sometimes the consequences are such that we shouldnt just accept this.

As for the comment about the first concern being for the child, who is to say that I am not concerned? Some people must be jumping to conclusions just because it is not explicitly stated.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It is perhaps inappropriate to speculate about where to apportion blame in the absence of facts reported by independent witnesses or CCTV footage (obviously and not surprisingly, those things are unlikely to be forthcoming on this forum), particularly when it must be rather stressful for the OP to have an injured son. Such speculation can add unnecessarily to the stress, as well as in some aspects rather unsavoury.

Since the courteous requests from one of the moderators have not been met with the same level of courtesy, I am closing this thread, until the OP or anyone else has a factual update or request for assistance.

OP, our apologies for being compelled to close the thread for the time being. Please PM us or use the RBP function on your post to request the thread to be reopened if you wish to provide an update or request assistance from members.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
orbitmic, PrimaVista and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:15 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.