Wiki Posts
Search

Accident in GF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the BaxterStorey staff member collided with your son, led to the porridge spillage and assuming they realised they had hurt a child in the process, then that's very concerning if all they did was wipe the floor rather than attending to the boy. That would be beyond unconscionable.
Yes exactly, my wife was fuming about this. I was less so at the time because I didn't notice what the staff were doing. But I did notice the fact that no staff offered any assistance until at least 5 minutes after, when we were in the toilet washing him down.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I assume you have travel insurance? I'd say you should be covered by any decent policy to get your pre-paid expenses back. Then rebook the later flights if BA won't pay ball .
We do have a couple of policies so hopefully at least one will cover it. At this moment, I'm less worried about compensation, more worried about the little one and then how we can salvage the rest of our trip without further expenses. Is BA liable to sort this out?

I have called the CS manager but got to voicemail so left him a message and also sent an email. He did give me an office number to call in case I couldn't get through but I really would prefer to speak with him directly as he was there at the time. Any ideas?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Try the twitter team, they're very responsive and should be able to route a call
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjai
Yes exactly, my wife was fuming about this. I was less so at the time because I didn't notice what the staff were doing. But I did notice the fact that no staff offered any assistance until at least 5 minutes after, when we were in the toilet washing him down.
There is the point that children need to be closely supervised in this sort of location, which I appreciate is easier said than done sometimes. So I guess we have to suspend judgement unless someone saw exactly what happened. If the staff member didn't realise what had happened, then getting the floor clean as a priority is fairly sensible, given that slips are actually the main risk in these places and can be fatal.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:30 am

How awful; I hope your son is firmly on the mend. Is that area of GF covered by a security camera? Hopefully that could provide a record of events if needed. At the very, very least, it could be used for staff (re-)training.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A girl friend of mine is in plastics at Chelsea & Westminster.

Let me know if you need any help OP.

M
wrp96 and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It sounds like a very worrying situation and I really hope that your son is now feeling a lot better.

I would urge everyone from refraining from making summary judgement on who/what was appropriate or not at this stage. It is not very clear at all how the accident happened. I am absolutely not blaming the OP but remember that technically, however absurd this may sound to any of us, an 8 year old is not really supposed to wander around on his own, so if the accident was indeed caused by a staff member this ought to be looked into, but equally, a kid is a kid, and if he merely tripped or was a little clumsy, this would not then be the fault of the lounge, its operator or its employees.

I presume that if the OP or his wife had seen specifically what happened, he would have mentioned it, and in this case, I feel that the exact sequence of events is still a bit unclear and that the OP's main complain is not so much that staff caused the accident (unless I missed it) and more that they were not being very responsive/did not show much initiative when the OP realised that the child was hurt which is quite different.

I think that suggestions that I see in some posts that the staff caused the accident are rather premature in view of the events as described.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
This puts my gripes about cold toast in GF in perspective.

OP, hope the recovery goes well, and that BA get back to you with appropriate (humble, grovelling etc.) apologies and assistance.
cruisr and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Personally I wish the son a fast and full recovery after all he is the innocent one here.
cruisr, Jeannietx, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by benjai
I spoke with one of the caterers and she says that they have near missus or bumps all the time with customers as they can’t see around the corner.
I think this is a significant comment. Even if this is just the view of a single member of staff, BA/Baxter Storey/HAL need to establish if this is true. And if it is see if they can mitigate the risk. And if they weren’t aware of the risk already establish why their system and processes for managing risk hasn’t picked this up from staff.

Hope the OP’s son recovers quickly, sounds really unpleasant.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Hope your son gets well soon, being a parent myself it is crucifying to see kids in pain. I find it difficult to believe there are still people hinting it was customer's fault. Downplaying this accident is actually doing a disservice to BA. They need to learn and improve from their mistakes. I hope you report this accident to the authorities and help make GF a safer place for everyone.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by lcylocal

I think this is a significant comment. Even if this is just the view of a single member of staff, BA/Baxter Storey/HAL need to establish if this is true. And if it is see if they can mitigate the risk. And if they weren’t aware of the risk already establish why their system and processes for managing risk hasn’t picked this up from staff.

Hope the OP’s son recovers quickly, sounds really unpleasant.

one would think a ink a simple solution such as using a trolley could fix the immediate danger of these spillages?

Good luck with the wee one.
luitje and Gshumway like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RockyRobin

one would think a ink a simple solution such as using a trolley could fix the immediate danger of these spillages?

Good luck with the wee one.
I fully agree. If this blind corner is a known issue to staff, using a trolley for liquids, especially hot ones, is the better way to go.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Although I honestly believe GF is one of the best planned lounges out there, placing a food station in the center was not a good idea. Having one side available to the customers and the other accessible only to kitchen staff , would have been a much better solution, allowing for fast restocking of items removing the risk of carrying hot liquids across a high traffic area. I would argue CX lounge in T3 is a brilliant solution: hot food is offered in a secluded dining area, while only cold appetizers are offered from the buffet. But fully agree - trolley would be a good mitigation.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
While I don't know how things work in the UK when all is said and done OP I would strongly look at filing a lawsuit and getting those involved fired. I really hope your son fully recovers both physically and mentally.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by DCP2016
While I don't know how things work in the UK when all is said and done OP I would strongly look at filing a lawsuit and getting those involved fired. I really hope your son fully recovers both physically and mentally.
I disagree. Accidents are caused by a variety of issues which together lead to the event, no one person or thing is to blame. The main thing now is to make sure your son gets good care and that BA helps you with your trip - legal action or event the threat of it is counterproductive. There are several issues at play all of which can mostly likely be altered to reduce chances of this occurring again, The response of the staff in the lounge and possible training of how to handle this type of situation is another aspect that needs to be dealt with. I hope that BA will analyze all aspects of this accident and let the OP know what measures are being taken to prevent this re-occurring. A non punitive approach is a far better way of preventing further incidents such as this. Please let us know how your son is doing - joining others in thinking of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.